"Hide empty staves" does not work

I want to hide empty staves in piano part. I did everything according to the manual, but it does not work. What am I doing wrong? Is there a video on YouTube that explains it?
Thanks!

Did you add piano as a section player or a solo player? Thatā€™s important.

Check this thread: How to hide empty staves? - Dorico - Steinberg Forums

Did you definitely select the piano layout in the left pane of Layout Options?

Do you have chord symbols set to appear between grand staffs?

Is this a MusicXML import? If so, the first clef in the lower stave is probably an explicit one. Select it and delete it.

When I open a new clean project and add the piano as a solo player, ā€œhide empty stateā€ works. But when I open the project BIGBAND from template, this feature does not work.

Yet if I start a new project from the Big Band template it works absolutely fine. Do your settings definitely look like this?

Sorry. I only looked at Full Score. In the part is stave hidden.

In the attached file I want to hide the empty staff in system.
Nothing happens when I run System ā†’ Hide Empty Staves.
I tried some of the things here but no success.
Any idea why Hide Empty Staves is not working?
The file did start out as a midi file import krogerfeedback survey.

Have another go. You havenā€™t attached anything. (You need to zip Dorico projects before uploading)

ā€¦and welcome to the forum!

Ah yes, that too! Sorry, Iā€™m on an iPhone and the mobile view of this forum doesnā€™t show usersā€™ post counts etc.

Rotate to landscape modeā€¦ I just learned this.

Thanks for reminding me, Dan!

Also if youā€™re viewing on a mobile device, you can change the default skin to one that works better on mobile. Click on your username at the top then Board Preferences and set Board Style to ā€˜subsilverā€™. This produces a more compact view where things donā€™t scroll off to the side.

Dear Paul,
Thatā€™s the setting I have on my forum setting, and my iPhone (safari) does not show me a posterā€™s countā€¦

Why is my piano stave not hidden?
1.png
Although I got all preferences right I think:

Thanx for helping.

Given your piano staves are joined by a brace rather than a bracket, I canā€™t trust that anything in this project is ā€œdefaultā€.

You might have hidden stuff, or it might be that manual brace, or it might be you have an explicit clef at bar 1. If you want a definitive answer quickly, post a cut-down version of the project, not a screenshot.

Here it is.
Thanx a lot
CutDown.dorico.zip (842 KB)

I changed the brace back, replaced the clef again with a treble clef, removed all other information - nothingā€¦still there. When I remove the music from both staves completely, it works. Otherwise not.

This setting prevents Dorico from hiding staves of grand staff instruments:

You also have an explicit bass clef at the start of the first bar of the top piano stave. Youā€™ll need to introduce that wherever you want that stave to appear, rather than at bar 1.

1 Like

You are a genius. Thanx a lot ! It is the chord position between stavesā€¦if I change it, everything works fineā€¦so there is no way to have chord symbols between staves and hide the upper piano-staff?
Thatā€™s a pityā€¦