Guitar Pedal Efx Digital vs Physical

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
EdXIII

Guitar Pedal Efx Digital vs Physical

Post by EdXIII » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:32 am

Hi All,

Just want to find out opinions for guitar effects, which one do you prefer, physical effects or digital?

My personal opinion on this is physical effects...because of the 'real sounding feeling' and the convenience of jamming in public studios as compared to using digital.
Steinberg UR 44
Logic Pro X
BIAS FX
BOSS GT-100
Part Time Musician, Full Time (The Treasure at Tampines )

Jim B

Re: Guitar Pedal Efx Digital vs Physical

Post by Jim B » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:50 pm

Digital for me, that way I don't have to pay out for loads of pedals and amps that I would probably never use, in the hunt for a "signature" guitar sound.
I like experimenting with just amp Sims and different FX in my quest, I haven't got there yet but my experimentations have thrown up some good candidates for my signature sound!!

Jim B
Musician, songwriter, singer, guitarist, band member.
System: HP Ali-in-One 24-f0xx, Intel i3-813OU CPU @2.20GHz 2.21 GHz, Windows 10 64bit.
DAW: Cubase Pro 10.30, Focusrite 2nd gen 1818i interface, Padshop Pro, Halion Sonic 3, VST Connect Pro, PreSonus e 4.5 monitors, AKG K240 cans.
Instruments: M Audio KeyRig 49, Sigma OMT-1STE+ acoustic guitar , Washburn D20n acoustic guitar, Weissenborn lap slide acoustic guitar, Epiphone resonator acoustic guitar, Fender Deluxe Roadhouse stratocaster

Our band singles recorded using Cubase & VST Connect: https://soundcloud.com/stanhope-road

NathanBros

Post by NathanBros » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:33 pm

With digital you can get more fx for a lower cost, also is possible get high quality free/magazine-ware plugins.
"Interested in time travel? Meet here last Thursday, 7 pm."
Checkout my Mario blog (Portuguese): Jogos do Mario Bros.

Scab Pickens

Post by Scab Pickens » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:50 am

Split your signal. Record a "wet" and "dry" track simultaneously. Then you have your "I'm a proud real guitarist track" and your "I can do whatever I want with it" track.

I'm not sure what you mean by "jamming in public studios" ... ? :?
Win 10 Home | Cubase Pro 10.5 | WaveLab Elements 8 | i7-950 12GB | Focusrite Pro 40

EdXIII

Post by EdXIII » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:48 pm

Thanks for all the response, am still learning how to get "that idealistic tone" but definitely is a fun process. By jamming in public studios meaning, in Singapore we have to rent a studios which are quite basic, meaning amplifiers, drumset, microphones and speakers are what you get, seldom it comes with mixers and stuff, meaning, I would have to bring all my stuff, Audio Interface, Laptop, wires, instruments to setup...and normally the sessions are like 2-3hours...
Steinberg UR 44
Logic Pro X
BIAS FX
BOSS GT-100
Part Time Musician, Full Time (The Treasure at Tampines )

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:28 pm

EdXIII wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:48 pm
Singapore we have to rent a studios which are quite basic, meaning amplifiers, drumset, microphones and speakers are what you get
Consider yourself very lucky to live somewhere where even that is available!

Have you considered the Line 6 Helix range? You can get the same sounds from the plugin as you can from the pedals, and it even comes with free Cubase!

On a more basic level, I carry a Pocket Pod in the guitar case, so at least I have some control over the sound when I don't have my own gear. Other than that, the less gear the better -- less to carry, and quicker to set up and break down.
Windows 10 • Cubase 10.5.0 • WaveLab 10.0.0 • SpectraLayers 6.0.20 • HALion 6.3.1 • Groove Agent 5.0.20 • Midex

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”