Multiple Time Signatures with Different Barlines

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
MrAvenarius

Multiple Time Signatures with Different Barlines

Post by MrAvenarius » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:13 pm

Hello, I would like to know if Dorico can handle multiple time signatures with different barline positions. As an example, let's say I have two instruments, one expressing a 4/4 meter and the second one a 5/4 meter. By wanting to use two different time signatures, the barlines would be therefore independent one from the other, coinciding every 5 and every 4 measures for the 4/4 and 5/4 measures, respectively. The first 5/4 barline would then be placed after the first quarte note in the second 4/4 measure.
Finale won't allow this by default and requires a fussy workaround to tackle with such an issue; it will, instead, allow independent time signatures confined within the same measure length, thus forcing different meters to be on other's metric tuplet. This, however, is not my case.
I purchased Dorico on the very first day it was released, without never dedicating the appropriate time for developing an adequate knowledge. I am now willing to fill this gap and will switch with no doubt if my issue will be efficiently handled by Dorico.

Thank you

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Re: Multiple Time Signatures with Different Barlines

Post by dankreider » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:29 pm

Absolutely. Easy as pie.

Click on a staff, Shift-M, put in the meter you want, and close the popover using ALT-Enter (rather than just Enter). It’ll add the meter to that staff only.

Barlines are totally flexible and can be added or deleted anywhere. “Alt” is the rule of thumb for independent maters and barlines.
Dan Kreider

Orchestration, transcription, engraving
Dorico training for individuals and teams
www.dankreider.com
---
Dell Precision 7520, Xeon quad-core, 32 GB RAM, Windows 10

MrAvenarius

Post by MrAvenarius » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:08 pm

Thank you Dan, incredibly easy to do!

loff56

Post by loff56 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:44 pm

You know... I haven't even tried this (or looked for it) can you get Dorico to behave the other way? I know the Dorico's default is to off set-bar lines with different meters in the manner that MrAvenarius is looking to do, but could you do it the other way; the way that Finale would default to doing independent time signatures where the bar lines DO line up? It's rare that I work with this type of metric complexity but every so often a scenario will appear where I may want to have 4/4 and 12/8 time signatures running parallel with matching bar lines.

pianoleo
Grand Senior Member

Post by pianoleo » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:54 pm

You can do 12/8 against 4/4 with workarounds. It’s not pretty but it’s possible.
Pianist/accompanist/engraver/arranger
2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1ghz dual-core i7, 8gb RAM; running Sibelius Ultimate, Logic Pro X, Dorico 3 etc.
& 2017 HP ZBook Studio G3 15.6” UHD quad-i7, 16gb RAM, Windows 10 Pro
Sibelius user since Sibelius 7 (Acorn, 1997), Ex-Sibelius user since Dorico 1.0

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Post by dankreider » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:10 pm

IIRC there was an article about this on the scoring notes blog about a year ago.

Edit: here. https://www.scoringnotes.com/tutorials/ ... ns-dorico/
Dan Kreider

Orchestration, transcription, engraving
Dorico training for individuals and teams
www.dankreider.com
---
Dell Precision 7520, Xeon quad-core, 32 GB RAM, Windows 10

rhallsw

Post by rhallsw » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:45 am

In his first string quartet (1951), Elliott Carter uses different meters in the parts, but also uses tempo equations so that the bars of the parts line up. I don't believe that Dorico can presently put different tempo equations (or different tempos) on individual bar lines. I tried entering some of this into Dorico by hand, so that I could hear individual parts of this complex quartet sound, but I had to use tuplets to get Carter's effects. Will tempo equations on individual bars be a part of Dorico in future?

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:56 am

Yes, when Dorico has full support for polymetric/polytempo music.

Joseph943

Post by Joseph943 » Thu May 02, 2019 12:26 pm

You can make this happen in a number of ways, but basically, the idea will be to enter to music all in the same "real" time signature than mark some barlines invisible and add others graphically.

rupert_nixon

Post by rupert_nixon » Mon May 13, 2019 1:13 pm

I have a choral piece that requires 9/8 in the choral score and 3/4 in the piano.
I have changed the time signatures but I can't get the bars to line up.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

pianoleo
Grand Senior Member

Post by pianoleo » Mon May 13, 2019 1:22 pm

Rupert, the Scoring Notes article that DanKreider linked to, above, perfectly describes how to do this. Have you read it?
Pianist/accompanist/engraver/arranger
2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina 3.1ghz dual-core i7, 8gb RAM; running Sibelius Ultimate, Logic Pro X, Dorico 3 etc.
& 2017 HP ZBook Studio G3 15.6” UHD quad-i7, 16gb RAM, Windows 10 Pro
Sibelius user since Sibelius 7 (Acorn, 1997), Ex-Sibelius user since Dorico 1.0

Return to “Dorico”