Simple panning of mono tracks

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 here.
gffWillie

Simple panning of mono tracks

Post by gffWillie »

Hi. I'm brand new to Cubase and have started using the trial version of Elements 10. I want to record an xy-configuration from a stereo pair of condensers, so I assigned each to a mono in track and a stereo out track, and was hoping to pan one left and one right. However I can't see a panning slider on the mono tracks. I'm sure I have seen videos where mono tracks have a slider. Am I doing something wring? How do I achieve this in Cubase Elements 10.

Any help appreciated

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Re: Simple panning of mono tracks

Post by Martin.Jirsak »

Hi and welcome,

What is your Output configuration? Mono or Stereo?
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

Most likely you are routing your mono Audio Channels to a mono Group Channel. You need to route it to a Stereo Group Channel to be able to pan it.
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, Groove Agent 5, WaveLab Pro 10, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

Latest: Bawdy Politik https://rodgerraino.bandcamp.com/releases

gffWillie

Post by gffWillie »

Hi. I believe I'm outputting both mono tracks to the left and right channels respectively of a stereo channel. The pan slider appears on the Stereo channel only.

Prock
Grand Senior Member

Post by Prock »

Some screenshots showing track I/Os would help us to help you.

Regards 8-)
PRock Studio

DAW: Cubase Pro 10.5.20, OS: Win 10 Pro x64, CPU: Intel Core i7 4700K @ 4.0GHz, RAM: 32GB/DDR4/2800MHz, Graphics: 4GB GeForce GTX 960, Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon, AI: PreSonus Studio 192 Mobile, Mic Preamp: PreSonus TubePre, Headphone Amp: PreSonus HP4, Studio Monitors: Mackie MR5, 3rd Party VSTs: GSi VB3-II, SampleTank 3, Amplitube 4, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, EZDrummer 2

https://soundcloud.com/prockstudio

svennilenni
Grand Senior Member

Post by svennilenni »

gffWillie wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 11:59 am
Hi. I believe I'm outputting both mono tracks to the left and right channels respectively of a stereo channel. The pan slider appears on the Stereo channel only.
Routing to left or right channel of a stereo bus directly, is outputting to a mono bus / channel. You must output to the stereo bus itself.

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino »

If your destination is mono, you can't pan going into it because no panorama exists on the destination. The left (or right) side of a stereo buss is mono.

If you have a mono track routed to the left channel of a stereo bus then it is effectively hardwired panned all the way to the left.
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, Groove Agent 5, WaveLab Pro 10, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

Latest: Bawdy Politik https://rodgerraino.bandcamp.com/releases

intarsia

Post by intarsia »

gffWillie wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 11:06 am
I want to record an xy-configuration from a stereo pair of condensers, so I assigned each to a mono in track and a stereo out track, and was hoping to pan one left and one right.
Why not just assign the two mic inputs to one stereo track using stereo input? That's what I do when recording a stereo pair. No panning necessary if you're looking for that natural stereo image.

Regarding not being able to pan the mono input, it sounds like you might be looking at the actual mono input in the mixing console, which doesn't have a pan option. The audio track (whatever you named it) should have the pan slider on it.

gffWillie

Post by gffWillie »

OK I see the light now. I was outputting directly to the mono track "members" of my stereo output track. As soon as I change to go to the Stereo track all is well. Thank you all for your help. At this stage in my development I am hitting all sorts of obstacles which can be frustating, but overcoming them and getting a result is fun. Thank you all for your help on this.

Return to “General”