Is there a single fader controller that follows track selection on screen?

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 10, Cubase Artist 10 and Cubase Elements 10 here.
jlrnyc

Is there a single fader controller that follows track selection on screen?

Post by jlrnyc » Mon May 06, 2019 2:06 am

I tried the new Faderport and it doesn't. You need to manually advance by pressing a button once the channel is beyond the current bank.

Apparently Behringer's X Touch One operates the same way.

Some say the Steinberg CC121 does this. Any users willing to confirm?

Would this be possible with TouchOSC? A template with a fader that automatically works on the currently selected channel?

How about Lemur?

Any users of these that can guide me? I would really appreciate it.

I'm just frustrated by mousing/trackpad'ing/scrolling over to look for a fader that I need to adjust. Perhaps I could invest in a 16 fader controller that would require less banking (more money). Or perhaps a touch screen, although touching glass is a different experience than a physical fader.

Thank you all!!

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Re: Is there a single fader controller that follows track selection on screen?

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Mon May 06, 2019 10:27 am

Hi,

I can confirm CC121 follows the onscreen selection.

But I have to say I wonder that Faderport nor X Touch One don't. I would expect they support it. Are you sure you setup the correct MIDI Out in the Cubase Remote Device?
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

beatpete

Post by beatpete » Mon May 06, 2019 3:48 pm

Frontier Design AlphaTrack does this. Also, if your thinking of Lemur, consider Pro Tools Control for the Ipad and the Eucon protocol in Cubase. It's free and is currently my favorite controller for Cubase. It has a setting to change the first fader to the "selected channel" as well. I also re-purposed a Steinberg CMC-FD to do this as well using the AlphaTrack protocol in Cubase and Bome's "Midi Translator" to redirect the midi.
Comp1: Windows 10 64 bit, Asus X99-A USB 3.1, I7 5930K (running at 4500 MHz), 32 gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 ram, Radeon HD5450 graphics, RME Digiface, Steinberg UR824 and MR816x (X2)
(connected to Digiface), Cubase 9.5.10 64bit
Comp 2: Windows 7 64bit, I5 3450,16 gb ram, VEPro.

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Tue May 07, 2019 9:14 am

Hi,

Just my very personal experience with any "iPad" (virtual, touch) controllers. I stopped to use them, because I realised, I have switch my eyes from the screen to the iPad (to find the controller - fader - and it's real position on the display). With real HW device I can still look to the screen and find the controller by using just the fingers. So I don't loose the focus. Therefore a HW controller with real physical controls is the only one way for me.
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Tue May 07, 2019 2:51 pm

the original Faderport follows tracks perfectly.
it can still be had around 100 new - bit of a no-brainer, if you ask me.
two little niggles, nothing serious - the pan pot isn't all that great, and installation can be a bit tricky, iirc you need an older driver version.
but once it works, it works - no glitches, crashes or whatever.
I've been using mine for like 5 years now, and it just does the job, 24/7.
brilliant little box !
ymmv,
Rhino

the issue with all the newer fader controllers is that the devs don't bother to write proper drivers anymore, and use that clunky ancient Mackie/HUI protocol instead, which was not even designed for single faders back in the Pleistocene.
so an update fix for the newer controllers seems unlikely, it would require a total rewrite / redesign, afaics.

W7Pro, obviously.
When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.
(George R.R. Martin)

grayter1

Post by grayter1 » Tue May 07, 2019 4:49 pm

The X-Touch does follow with the latest 1.07 firmware upgrade.

tg

Rhino

Post by Rhino » Thu May 09, 2019 6:17 pm

grayter1 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:49 pm
The X-Touch does follow with the latest 1.07 firmware upgrade.
both ways / full duplex ?
no bank switching required either way ?
e.g. jumping from ch 3 to 25 via mouse click ?
or clicking through sequentially from the controller's channel buttons, like ch 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 and so on ?
that would be a big surprise ...
afaik nobody pulled this off yet with a Mackie/HUI based controller.
got any source for that ?
Rhino
When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say.
(George R.R. Martin)

jlrnyc

Post by jlrnyc » Fri May 10, 2019 12:03 am

Hey everyone, thanks for all the replies.

I have an X Touch One in front of me and it does NOT follow the track selection automatically.

You still have to press the bank buttons but once it's on the correct bank it does follow the track selected on that bank.

What's frustrating is I got it after exchanging messages with their support people and repeatedly confirming that with their latest firmware (1.07) the controller would not need to "bank" over. But here it is and it's not doing it.

I sent them a message and they asked for a video of the behavior. I sent the video yesterday and I'm awaiting response.

I'll update you when I hear it.

McBass

Post by McBass » Fri May 10, 2019 1:57 am

The Nektar Panorama P6, P4 follows bi-directionally. It can get a little glitchy when you select non audio tracks such as Folder tracks, midi, etc but you just hit the Track-/Track + buttons simultaneously and it jumps to the correct track. But hands down the best at this is the cc121. Maybe way overpriced for the limited functionality but it is SO nice to use for track selection and fader riding. One of the weird quirks of Cubase and controllers is that they follow what is on the main project page and the mixconsole differently because both screens show different things even when synced. The Mixconsole for instance does not show folder tracks or disabled tracks. Some controllers don't follow hidden tracks. Depending on control surface and what is in focus in your session when selecting tracks can impact the smoothness of integration and impact your user experience. Hope this helps more than confuses!
i7 4770k | Asus Z87 mobo | 16GB RAM | GeForce - GTX760 | UAD-2 Octo | Apollo Twin mkII quad | RME Multiface PCIe + Lynx Hilo | Panorama P6 | Mackie MCU | CC121 | CMC Ai | CMC Pd | MOTU midi128

Windows 10 pro | Cubase Pro 10 & 9.5 | Wavelab 9.5 Elements | Halion 5 | RND Portico | Melodyne Studio 4 | Slate Digital | UAD | Sonnox | Soundtoys | FabFilter | Brainworx | Waves | IK Multimedia | XLN Audio | iZotope & many more plug-ins...it's madness!

beatpete

Post by beatpete » Fri May 10, 2019 3:53 pm

The Alphatrack works as a "selected track' controller very well and, although it hasn't been made for years, the drivers and custom Cubase protocol work fine.
Comp1: Windows 10 64 bit, Asus X99-A USB 3.1, I7 5930K (running at 4500 MHz), 32 gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 ram, Radeon HD5450 graphics, RME Digiface, Steinberg UR824 and MR816x (X2)
(connected to Digiface), Cubase 9.5.10 64bit
Comp 2: Windows 7 64bit, I5 3450,16 gb ram, VEPro.

jlrnyc

Post by jlrnyc » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:18 am

So, last update on this everybody:

To add to the bizarre experience, Behringer's customer support has completely stopped responding to me. They don't even acknowledge a tweet. Weird *knuf* company.

So, this thing is going back on Monday. And I'm doing what I should have done in the first place. I'm getting the Steinberg CC121.

I repeat, the X Touch One does not automatically follow track selection in Cubase 10 Pro. Not even with the latest firmware.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Thanks for all the help in this thread! You people are awesome.

Return to “General”