What’s coming in 3.0

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
dankreider
Grand Senior Member

What’s coming in 3.0

Post by dankreider » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:38 am

This may be spitting in the wind, but I thought it would be helpful (and a bit fun) to compile a list of things we’re anticipating in version 3.0.

Of course this comes with the usual caveat that programming and quality control is hard work, and comments made by a Daniel and others aren’t promises. I think everyone here understands that if a certain feature isn’t ready when 3.0 comes, that feature won’t be included. It’s just a way to collate the features, small and large, that are (likely) coming soon.

And let’s avoid commenting with various iterations of “I hope they include ____.” This isn’t intended to be a wish list thread. Stick to features that have been specifically communicated as being a part of the new version. Links to comments by the team are helpful.
Last edited by dankreider on Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Kreider

Orchestration, transcription, engraving
Dorico training for individuals and teams
www.dankreider.com
---
Dorico 3; Dell Precision 7520, Xeon quad-core, 32 GB RAM, Windows 10

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Re: What’s coming in 3.0

Post by dankreider » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:02 am

Dan Kreider

www.dankreider.com
---

k_b

Post by k_b » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:04 am

I prefer to be surprised :-)

ps: congratulations Dan for becoming a Grand Senior Forum Member! I noticed, you have updated your avatar accordingly ;-)

Thank you for all your valuable help!!
Last edited by k_b on Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dorico Elements 3.0.10, Dorico Pro 3.0.10

semibreve [whole note] - minim [half note]
crotchet [quarter note] - quaver [eighth note]
semiquaver [sixteenth note]

Saxer

Post by Saxer » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:07 am

ChuckDimeCliff

Post by ChuckDimeCliff » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:31 am

I would be happy with condensing and nothing else. When they implement condensing, it will seriously change the game in engraving.

ChuckDimeCliff

Post by ChuckDimeCliff » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:51 am

EDIT:
I missed the paragraph saying this wasn't a wish list post. Sorry all!
Last edited by ChuckDimeCliff on Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

k_b

Post by k_b » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:23 am

I thought this was not supposed to be a wish list.
Let us be grown up and wait (with suspense) for what will be coming...
drum roll.. candle light.. surprise
btw, even children nowadays can still do so ;-)
Dorico Elements 3.0.10, Dorico Pro 3.0.10

semibreve [whole note] - minim [half note]
crotchet [quarter note] - quaver [eighth note]
semiquaver [sixteenth note]

David Tee

Post by David Tee » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:39 am

I'm always surprised by how much is in every release. This time round, with the release being pushed back by around 6 months (?) I suspect that we're either in for an even larger release or something major is being incorporated. Either way, it'll be fascinating to see what they've been working so hard on.

A couple of months ago I started my own Dorico wishlist with four categories - Please, Please / Nice To Have / Completely Dreaming / Bug Fixes. I've slowly been adding to it over the past few weeks and it's quite sizeable now. I did it not to pass it on or because I expect any of it but purely to see how many might crop up in V3. If Dan's list is right, there's four (and a half) I can cross off already. Bingo.

If anyone is looking for more tips as to what might be coming, this was good advice from Romanos.
Romanos401 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:02 pm
Adrien, if you have any time to spare, you can click on Daniel's name on the forum and "search this user's posts" and skim through them. You'll obviously be able to skim over most of it, but it's a quick and easy way to find the things that he has indicated here and there around the forum. I read many threads that don't pertain to me specifically to find the little gems he drops here and there.
• Dorico 3.0.10, Cubase 10.0.40
MacPro (mid 2012), 64 GB Ram, OSX 10.14.6, Stream Deck

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Post by dankreider » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:53 pm

Saxer wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:07 am
Note input: Pitch before Duration
You got me seriously excited, but there’s no mention of this in 3.0, just “future.” Lots of features could be added to that category.

Pitch-before duration is what I want more than anything, literally. But as far as I can tell, no specifics from the team on when it’s coming.
Dan Kreider

www.dankreider.com
---

LSalgueiro

Post by LSalgueiro » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:41 pm

dankreider wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:53 pm
Pitch-before duration is what I want more than anything, literally.
You Finale-converts are weeeeird.

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Post by dankreider » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:02 pm

LSalgueiro wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:41 pm
dankreider wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:53 pm
Pitch-before duration is what I want more than anything, literally.
You Finale-converts are weeeeird.
We’re a bunch of music engravers. We’re all weird.
Dan Kreider

www.dankreider.com
---

benwiggy

Post by benwiggy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:19 pm

Not a wish list, but an extrapolation of the features we've seen added so far. Flow Headings was unexpected but amazing, and I think we're going to see 'building' on existing feature sets in similarly amazing and unexpected ways.

More Editors seem likely: Clefs? Instruments?

I would have thought improved capabilities for Master Pages and Layouts, including something that does away with the need for templates with your "House Style" Master Pages. As said, the improvement over Propagate Properties might be there.

But to echo what Daniel sometimes says: I'm not asking to see my solutions, but rather Dorico's solutions to my particular problems.
MacMini 2018, 3GHz i5, 32Gb RAM | MacBook Pro 2014, 2.2 GHz i7 | Garritan Personal Orchestra 5
Ancient Groove Music

Derrek

Post by Derrek » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:29 pm

If history is any indication, we would start seeing previews of new features in John Baron's "Discover Dorico" sessions a month or two before the official release.

(Yeah, I'd like to see pitch-before-duration too, but I don't expect it this time around.)
Dorico 3.0, Finale (v26), GPO, JABB3, GWI, NotePerformer 3, CuBase Pro 10.0.50 newbie
Windows 10 (also Mac Mojave as alternate)
US English Keyboard

Andre

Post by Andre » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:18 pm

Why not adapt/accept to the duration/pitch input instead of wanting it the finale way? One thing that I read all the time on the forum is not to use Dorico in a Sibelius/Finale way, but accept its new way. So...?
Gothenburg, Sweden.
iMac 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB ram, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
Cubase X 10.9.40, Dorico 3 with NotePerformer 3.2.0
Logic Pro X. EWQLSO Gold, Kirk Hunter Diamond Orchestra/Concert Strings 2/Concert Brass 2, etc etc...
Dutch is my native language. English 2nd, Swedish 3rd, Spanish 4th (but don't ask me to use it...)
My music and tutorials on http://www.andrevanharen.com

dankreider
Grand Senior Member

Post by dankreider » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:23 pm

Andre wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:18 pm
Why not adapt/accept to the duration/pitch input instead of wanting it the finale way? One thing that I read all the time on the forum is not to use Dorico in a Sibelius/Finale way, but accept its new way. So...?
Sorry, I strongly disagree here. And I certainly have been a poster child for doing things the “Dorico way.”

When I’m writing a piano part, I’m constantly noodling to decide what I like. I much prefer to find the voicings I want, hold down the chord, and press a number for duration.

As it is now, I have to **constantly** move in and out of note input mode. I’m often “inputting” a string of notes by accident when I though I was just auditioning. Believe me, I tried to acclimate to duration-first for more than a year now, using Dorico sometimes 5 hours a day, and I just can’t get over it. I vastly prefer Finale’s way here. It’s difficult to convey how awkward I still find this. Of course for everything else Dorico does, I’m as happy as a clam.

It’s been discussed elsewhere on the forum. Everyone is welcome to their opinion.
Dan Kreider

www.dankreider.com
---

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:08 pm

We're also moving the AutoSave folder, making it possible to change the font for multi-bar rest numbers, ensuring that lyrics get fully selected in the popover when you advance input by typing a hyphen, adding a spin control to allow you to specify the precise MIDI controller and tempo value in Play mode, and improving the way mixer channels are named...

However, we will not be including Finale-style "speedy entry" tools in the next version, I'm afraid, though it's definitely something we are keen on adding in the future. Likewise for better management of library items and settings from one project to another, and doing away with the need for Propagate Properties: these are big and complicated bits of work, and we have been working on enough other big and complicated things that these didn't make the cut for this release.

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:11 pm

Oh, and of course, in case anybody doubts it, the next major release will also a great deal of other things besides those things I may have mentioned to date. There are changes coming across more or less every area of the program. Hopefully at least some of them will come as a pleasant surprise to you.

That said, I know that many of you will still be waiting for your particular favourite features even after the next release. However, provided you all put your hands in your pockets and buy it (even though it doesn't contain absolutely everything you wanted), it won't be the last release we ever do, and we'll have further chances to get to your specific favourites in future updates.

rkrentzman

Post by rkrentzman » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:03 am

and doing away with the need for Propagate Properties
--------------------------------------------------
YAY!!!!!!
Dorico 2.2, Finale 25, Sibelius 2019
Windows 10

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:11 am

I'm sorry to say that you've misunderstood me, rkrentzman: I wrote above that we will not be doing away with the need for Propagate Properties in the forthcoming version. Reworking the way properties are set and how they are presented to users is a big and complicated bit of work, and we have not been able to prioritise that work for the next major version.

MarcLarcher
Grand Senior Member

Post by MarcLarcher » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:27 am

Always a pleasure to read you, Daniel!
OS X 10.14.6, macbook pro retina Late 2013
Opera singer (lyric tenor), photographer, sound engineer, XeLaTeX user and music engraver (Dorico Pro 3.0.10, and Photoscore Ultimate 8.8.7)
French is my native language

dwlarson

Post by dwlarson » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:27 am

+1 I’m sure that whatever comes when is comes will be fantastic! :-)
Win10, i7, 16GB, Dorico 3.0.10
Sibelius 2019.5 (and holding)
Photoscore 7.02
Church musician/arranger

Sadhaka

Post by Sadhaka » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:16 am

Do you folks all log into the forum morning and night to check for a release notice?

I think I have a bit of a problem...

cparmerlee

Post by cparmerlee » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:13 am

ChuckDimeCliff wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:31 am
I would be happy with condensing and nothing else.
I would very much like to see condensing. But there are also some very basic things that don't work right yet, such as the arrow keys to navigate right and left to notes in the part. That is so badly broken as to be worthless, and it really should be fixed.

Another similar fundamental item is the "rubber band selection". You can select a rectangle that surrounds notes in multiple staves that all have exactly the same rhythmic placement, and quite often, some notes will fail to be included in the rectangle. That should not happen. If the rubber band includes the note at the "and of 2" in one staff, it should include the notes at the "and of 2" for all staves included in the rectangle. I do hope these foundational items get attention. They aren't sexy, but that, IMHO, is the mark of a polished program.
Dorico 2, Cubase 10.0, Windows 10, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 audio i/f
http://sonocrafters.com/

Sadhaka

Post by Sadhaka » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:19 am

Also, how awesome is it that Daniel will get on here and pretty much tell us what’s coming up!

Italyuser

Post by Italyuser » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:48 am

Sadhaka wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:16 am
Do you folks all log into the forum morning and night to check for a release notice?

I think I have a bit of a problem...
:D :D :D absolutly No!!! :D :D :D
Windows 7 64bit
Cubase Pro 10.5
Dorico 3.0.10

Return to “Dorico”