hidden Playing Techniques text re-appears after score condensing

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
koenderidder

hidden Playing Techniques text re-appears after score condensing

Post by koenderidder » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:56 am

Hi,

Very eager to use the Dorico 3 'condensing' feature for large orchestral scores I stumbled upon the following. When adding a Playing Technique to a note (Shift P etc...) in Write mode and hiding the corresponding text by means of the 'Hidden' button in the Properties Panel, the Playing Technique text disappears, as expected (gets replaced by a signpost). But, when applying 'Condensing' to the score, the Playing Techniques text in those staves that effectively get condensed (e.g., Fl.1, Fl.2, ...) suddenly re-appears. The only way I found to remove this text in the condensed score was to again apply 'Hidden' in the properties panel, but then under Engrave mode.

Could this be a bug or did I completely miss something?

rgrds
Koen

Daniel at Steinberg

Re: hidden Playing Techniques text re-appears after score condensing

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:17 pm

Welcome to the forum, Koen. This isn't a bug: many of the properties you can set on items can vary when the item is shown on a condensed staff, which means that an existing property value from the non-condensed staff will not be carried through to the condensed staff. In this case it does mean that you have to select the playing technique and activate the 'Hide' property on the condensed staff, yes.

koenderidder

Post by koenderidder » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:03 pm

Hi Daniel, thanks for your feedback. In fact, my question/comment arose from the fact that, as I use the VSL Symphonic Cube sample library (together with my own Expression Maps, custom Playing Techniques etc... ), I have access to many articulations that generally would not explicitly appear in a score (e.g., VSL fast vs regular legato) but that human performers would automatically play correctly. Since I don't want to litter the score with this type of articulation information, the 'Hidden' feature comes in handy (cfr viewtopic.php?t=130075); yet having to apply this in the regular as well as in the condensed score and also in the individual parts (?) is cumbersome. Is there any way around this? If not, a button 'Hidden in all lay-outs' or so would be great.

rgrds,
Koen

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:46 pm

There's no way around it, I'm afraid, except to re-hide those playing techniques in the condensed view, at least for now.

Return to “Dorico”