FX for a single drum

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
haba713

FX for a single drum

Post by haba713 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:22 pm

My project has a drum track with a HALion drum set. Is it possible to route snare + side stick to another effect for having more reverb on them?

I have Cubase 5.5.2 (64-bit).

Strophoid
Grand Senior Member

Re: FX for a single drum

Post by Strophoid » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:24 pm

You could always run 2 separate instances of Halion, one for just the snare/rim and the rest in the other instance. You can then apply effects separately.
Software: Steinberg Cubase Pro 8 64-bit.
Hardware: Intel i5 6600, 16Gb DDR3, Win7 64-bit
Mackie Onyx 1620i - Steinberg Midex 8 - Steinberg CC121.

My humble contributions to what could be considered music.

innerlyte

Post by innerlyte » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:09 am

Are you referring to HALion One? I'm pretty sure you can route individual samples in HALion 3, but HALion One is a pretty 'untweakable' sampler. I don't think it can be done. I'd probably record the samples in question to audio and either give them their own audio tracks or load them into Groove Agent ONE.
Pro Tools 12.3 | Cubase 5.5.3 | Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1 | 16GB DDR3 @ 1866MHz | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 4GB DDR5 | Samsung EVO 850 250GB | 3x WD Black 1TB 7200 RPM

Suprawill1

Post by Suprawill1 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:41 am

Strophoid wrote:You could always run 2 separate instances of Halion, one for just the snare/rim and the rest in the other instance. You can then apply effects separately.

+1
Home built Cooler Master tower - ASUS Prime Z270 MB - Intel Core i7 6700K@4.2G - CM Hyper 212 EVO Cooler - Corsair CX750M PSU - 32G G.Skill Ripjaw V - Dual 24" Monitors - Cubase Pro 10 - Windows 7 Pro 64 - Samsung 960 EVO NVMe - Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Roland Studio Capture Interface - X Touch Controller - Halion 5 - Halion Sonic 2 - Addictive Drums 1&2 - Melodyne 4 - Serato - Kore - Kontact - Morphology Etc Etc

haba713

Post by haba713 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:17 am

But isn't it possible to use some filter (like Transformer midi fx) to route some keys to another midi channel and put reverb or separate HALion One with reverb on that channel? I've tried this today but can't make it work.

thinkingcap
Grand Senior Member

Post by thinkingcap » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:28 am

haba713 wrote:But isn't it possible to use some filter (like Transformer midi fx) to route some keys to another midi channel and put reverb or separate HALion One with reverb on that channel? I've tried this today but can't make it work.
No, because audio FX like reverb are applied to audio tracks, not MIDI.
Cubase 5.1.1 (32bit) | Win 7 Pro x64 SP1 | RME Fireface UFX | RME Fireface 800 | Cubase Essential 5 | Win 7 Home Premium x64
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just took off my thinkingcap, it got filled up with too much crap...

haba713

Post by haba713 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:19 pm

thinkingcap wrote:No, because audio FX like reverb are applied to audio tracks, not MIDI.
But can't I have two separate instances of HALion One with different reverbs connected on them and route some keys from a single track to another HALion One instance?

Suprawill1

Post by Suprawill1 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:44 pm

Look at post #2. Just take each track you want separate and apply it to it's own instance of HalionOne and add the preferable effects.
Home built Cooler Master tower - ASUS Prime Z270 MB - Intel Core i7 6700K@4.2G - CM Hyper 212 EVO Cooler - Corsair CX750M PSU - 32G G.Skill Ripjaw V - Dual 24" Monitors - Cubase Pro 10 - Windows 7 Pro 64 - Samsung 960 EVO NVMe - Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Roland Studio Capture Interface - X Touch Controller - Halion 5 - Halion Sonic 2 - Addictive Drums 1&2 - Melodyne 4 - Serato - Kore - Kontact - Morphology Etc Etc

thinkingcap
Grand Senior Member

Post by thinkingcap » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:40 pm

haba713 wrote:
thinkingcap wrote:No, because audio FX like reverb are applied to audio tracks, not MIDI.
But can't I have two separate instances of HALion One with different reverbs connected on them and route some keys from a single track to another HALion One instance?
As Suprawill says, that was already mentioned by Strophoid some threads ago. You should actually read the answers you get.
Cubase 5.1.1 (32bit) | Win 7 Pro x64 SP1 | RME Fireface UFX | RME Fireface 800 | Cubase Essential 5 | Win 7 Home Premium x64
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

haba713

Post by haba713 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:47 pm

thinkingcap wrote:As Suprawill says, that was already mentioned by Strophoid some threads ago. You should actually read the answers you get.
Yes, I read the answers but I'd like to have all the drum set in a same MIDI part (for usability reasons) and this far I've understood that it is not possible to route notes from a single MIDI part to different HALion One instances.

Anyway, thank you for the answers!

thinkingcap
Grand Senior Member

Post by thinkingcap » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:11 am

haba713 wrote:
thinkingcap wrote:As Suprawill says, that was already mentioned by Strophoid some threads ago. You should actually read the answers you get.
Yes, I read the answers but I'd like to have all the drum set in a same MIDI part (for usability reasons) and this far I've understood that it is not possible to route notes from a single MIDI part to different HALion One instances.

Sorry so then it´s me who should actually read posts correctly - apologies :oops: . That does work with MIDI sends channel filtering and transformer inserts, but IMHO is a lot more convoluted than simply dissolving the MIDI part.

Suprawill1

Post by Suprawill1 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:45 am

thinkingcap wrote:
haba713 wrote:

Sorry so then it´s me who should actually read posts correctly - apologies :oops: . That does work with MIDI sends channel filtering and transformer inserts, but IMHO is a lot more convoluted than simply dissolving the MIDI part.
Yes, using channel filtering will get the job done. I used it to do the opposite. I wanted the separate drum keys on my single midi keyboard to distribute to their own various tracks in Cubase so that I have separate control over each. It's a little time consuming so I just made a template that I could use repeatedly.

Return to “Older Cubase versions”