Why Hasn't Music Evolved Since The 60s?

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
Post Reply
Jed The Humanoid
Junior Member
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:14 pm
Contact:

Why Hasn't Music Evolved Since The 60s?

Post by Jed The Humanoid » Wed May 30, 2012 11:32 pm

The 1960s was the last time music took an evolutionary leap. Everything today is a derviative of that era. Including electronic and rap, noise, whatever.

Like biological evolution, cultural evolution also jumps in fits and starts.

We are presently experiencing a dormant period in creativity. One reason for this is because money has been infused into music making and money is its own value. Why promote music to be innovative and free, socially relevant, when the money is made from rehashing what already exists?

Take the money out of music and music will once again become alive. Until then, its going to be all image.
A8v Deluxe, XP, Cubase4, 3gram

Lenny Lee
Member
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:56 am
Contact:

Re: Why Hasn't Music Evolved Since The 60s?

Post by Lenny Lee » Thu May 31, 2012 12:53 am

I think you mean "Why hasn't -pop- music evolved since the 60's?" - and it has, though not too drastically,
cuz then it would no longer be pop, would it?

If you did mean music in general, then geez, have you really tried to find anything new?
Look around youtube. Listen to Squarepusher, Buckethead, Autechre, David Sylvian's Manofon, A Whisper In The Noise, Thinking Plague, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Stolen Babies.......

...off with you now. You've got work to do. 8-)
aka FastnLoose

Lenny Lee at Bandcamp

Box o' Chocolates at CDBaby

User avatar
HowlingUlf
Senior Member
Posts: 2174
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Why Hasn't Music Evolved Since The 60s?

Post by HowlingUlf » Thu May 31, 2012 2:17 am

music is for grandads and grannies or in best case something you notice when playing computer games. who gives a sh!t?
Gothenburg, Sweden
Steinberg Cubase Pro 10.5 | Steinberg WaveLab 10 | Steinberg Absolute 4 | Steinberg SpectralLayers 6
Win10 63.5 Pro | ASUS ATX Z170-P | Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake | 32GB RAM |
Nektar Panorama P6 | | Steinberg Midex8 | Steinberg UR824 |

Early21
Senior Member
Posts: 1878
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:29 pm
Contact:

Re: Why Hasn't Music Evolved Since The 60s?

Post by Early21 » Thu May 31, 2012 3:37 am

The last major musical evolution occurred when I was in high school, too. Were we in high school at the same time?
Cubase 8.0 Pro, Wavelab 6 Essential, Lenovo Legion Y520 Laptop/Win10, Steinberg UR212, Izotope Ozone, Izotope RX6, NI Komplete
My album Incontinental Breakfast at http://lborden.bandcamp.com. Works in process: https://soundcloud.com/incontinentals.

twilightsong
Senior Member
Posts: 1888
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:08 pm
Contact:

Re: Why Hasn't Music Evolved Since The 60s?

Post by twilightsong » Thu May 31, 2012 6:22 am

I take STRONG exception to the premise. Most of the problem is that music HAS (de)volved considerably since the 60's (and 70's). Unless you think crap like "Single Ladies" represents advancement*




*VH1 recently aired a show that ranked this tuneless garbage as the #1 song of the 2000's
"There is no avant-garde; only some people a bit behind." -- Edgar Varese
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cubase 5.5.2/ Win 7 64-bit/ Quad 9550/ UAD-2/ Wavelab 4/ more sample libraries than I can remember

Shinta215
Senior Member
Posts: 1032
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: Why Hasn't Music Evolved Since The 60s?

Post by Shinta215 » Thu May 31, 2012 6:44 am

twilightsong wrote:Most of the problem is that music HAS (de)volved considerably since the 60's (and 70's).
Agreed.
And that's why I prefer to listen to the "oldies" station in my city and not the "modern" stations.
And this is coming from someone from the "modern" generation.
HowlingUlf wrote:something you notice when playing computer games.
And some of that music is great (enough to buy the soundtrack). :D
Skyrim, anyone? ;)

Lenny Lee
Member
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:56 am
Contact:

Re: Why Hasn't Music Evolved Since The 60s?

Post by Lenny Lee » Thu May 31, 2012 11:45 am

When you think about it, the music of the 60's wasn't such a drastic
leap forward in the evolution of music - musically speaking. . It was a
natural progression which grew from it's roots in blues/folk/classical.....
I believe what made 60's music so meaningful and important, and therefore
more lasting, was a perfect storm of societal conditions that coincided with
the music. The Vietnam war, the first ever large scale anti war protests,
Dr. Kings speech, the Kennedy/King assassinations, the civil rights act,
the sexual revolution, experimentation with mind expanding drugs, the counterculture, etc etc. -
the music reflected the topics that young people were passionate about,
and was the soundtrack to all that societal upheaval.

I don't think you'll see music have that kind of impact again without the social
conditions that gave it such importance.
aka FastnLoose

Lenny Lee at Bandcamp

Box o' Chocolates at CDBaby

User avatar
foolomon
Senior Member
Posts: 1695
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Why Hasn't Music Evolved Since The 60s?

Post by foolomon » Thu May 31, 2012 1:08 pm

I think you are all old. :P :P :P

/me runs
_________________

"Just call me Larry."

Lenovo T450 laptop (Windows 7 64-bit + 16GB RAM + 500GB SSD)
AMD-Phenom II based system (Windows 7 64-bit + 8GB DDR3 RAM)
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 interface

Other hardware: Too much to mention here
Software: Cubase 8.5 Pro; Komplete 9; Melodyne Editor; FabFilter Pro Suite; various VSTs from Blue Cat Audio, Native Instruments (beyond what's in Komplete), Slate, Softube, Sound Toys and Variety of Sound

Stop by and visit!

Lenny Lee
Member
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:56 am
Contact:

Re: Why Hasn't Music Evolved Since The 60s?

Post by Lenny Lee » Thu May 31, 2012 1:14 pm

foolomon wrote:I think you are all old. :P :P :P

/me runs
Shush, you. ;)
aka FastnLoose

Lenny Lee at Bandcamp

Box o' Chocolates at CDBaby

User avatar
HowlingUlf
Senior Member
Posts: 2174
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Why Hasn't Music Evolved Since The 60s?

Post by HowlingUlf » Thu May 31, 2012 1:58 pm

Gothenburg, Sweden
Steinberg Cubase Pro 10.5 | Steinberg WaveLab 10 | Steinberg Absolute 4 | Steinberg SpectralLayers 6
Win10 63.5 Pro | ASUS ATX Z170-P | Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake | 32GB RAM |
Nektar Panorama P6 | | Steinberg Midex8 | Steinberg UR824 |

User avatar
curteye
External Moderator
Posts: 4721
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:03 am
Contact:

Re: Why Hasn't Music Evolved Since The 60s?

Post by curteye » Thu May 31, 2012 3:25 pm

Aloha guys,

Lyrics have been the big advance since the 60's.

The 'N' word and the 'F' word etc are now common in
todays music scene.

Now days you can pretty much say what ever you want and
there will/may be an audience for it.

30/40 years ago an artist/band could not 'get away with that'
and it was worst the further back you go.

You had to be clever about it.

'I'm yo back door man'!!
(he was not really talking about a back door now was he)?

Today users can 'blow up the intertoob' and watch/hear
C Lo Green or a down and dirty punk band say whatever they want.
I even remember 2 Live Crew on Phil Donahue singing:
'Face down a.. up That's the way we like to f...!'

George Carlins naughty seven word thingy is pretty much on the ropes.

Like it, agree with it or not; that IMHO is progress.

But is it music?


{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac i7 2.8Gz 16GB-10.10x...../C5.5/6.5/7.5/CP8
MBP 3.0Gz......16GB-10.10x.../CP8

Location:
On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

Conman
Senior Member
Posts: 2116
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:31 am

Re: Why Hasn't Music Evolved Since The 60s?

Post by Conman » Thu May 31, 2012 3:30 pm

There was a LOT of dross around then as well.

And what's music supposed to have evolved to? Somethng you like? Something I like?
The only people who appreciate evolution are the old and experienced. The young only know it all but all the old jokes are very new to them. And so are all the old tunes.
What happened in the 20th C was that we got super-powered folk music and copyrights.
Music didn't really evolve it just got an image makeover and louder. And empowered by being given the title "teenagers" children said it was new and radikle and awesome and by golly they were right. Roll on Freddy and the Dreamers! Herman's Hermits! The Archies! And the James Last Orchestra! :mrgreen:
Asus P6T deluxe; Core i7 920 2.67gHz; 12gig ram; Win7 Pro SP1; Roland Octa-Capture usb inteface; Cubase 6; and no 3rd party additions couple of hard drives PSU 750watt; NVidia GE Force 9600.
"An entrepreneur accepts that the world is the way that it is and goes about changing it rather than waiting for someone to make it easy for them."

Jed The Humanoid
Junior Member
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Why Hasn't Music Evolved Since The 60s?

Post by Jed The Humanoid » Thu May 31, 2012 4:33 pm

60s music was an indisdinguishable part of a cultural rebellion. Since then, music has been subsumed by the corporatocracy and most elements of rebellion are either wiped clean or are for hipster show only. Since the 60s, which were about resisting the warmongering, selfish, fearful and poisonous ways of power, a counter reactionary clampdown has emerged which is about retaining the old tried and true ways of perpetuating hatred and violence, profits for the very few. The vaccuous quality and of todays music reflects this clampdown, advertised as 'positivism', "Ra-ra USA #1!". And yes, I am referring to popularized, mass produced music. If a person is not part of this cooperation with the Eve of Destruction, they are labeled "bad', a 'downer' and run out of town, reflecting just how sheltered and spoon fed most folks are concerning the true conditions of the bankrupt and souless economic system.
A8v Deluxe, XP, Cubase4, 3gram

User avatar
HowlingUlf
Senior Member
Posts: 2174
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Why Hasn't Music Evolved Since The 60s?

Post by HowlingUlf » Thu May 31, 2012 5:01 pm

maybe the rebels grew wiser and realized that half of what they said was wrong? If you don't expect to be wrong every now and then you shouldn't pretend to be right either, or the ice is getting kinda thin?
Gothenburg, Sweden
Steinberg Cubase Pro 10.5 | Steinberg WaveLab 10 | Steinberg Absolute 4 | Steinberg SpectralLayers 6
Win10 63.5 Pro | ASUS ATX Z170-P | Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake | 32GB RAM |
Nektar Panorama P6 | | Steinberg Midex8 | Steinberg UR824 |

Jed The Humanoid
Junior Member
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Why Hasn't Music Evolved Since The 60s?

Post by Jed The Humanoid » Thu May 31, 2012 5:47 pm

HowlingUlf wrote:maybe the rebels grew wiser and realized that half of what they said was wrong? If you don't expect to be wrong every now and then you shouldn't pretend to be right either, or the ice is getting kinda thin?
Wrong? What half of peace love and understanding is wrong?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKEZoY-TMG4
A8v Deluxe, XP, Cubase4, 3gram

Conman
Senior Member
Posts: 2116
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:31 am

Re: Why Hasn't Music Evolved Since The 60s?

Post by Conman » Thu May 31, 2012 6:29 pm

Jed The Humanoid wrote:60s music was an indisdinguishable part of a cultural rebellion. Since then, music has been subsumed by the corporatocracy and most elements of rebellion are either wiped clean or are for hipster show only. Since the 60s, which were about resisting the warmongering, selfish, fearful and poisonous ways of power, a counter reactionary clampdown has emerged which is about retaining the old tried and true ways of perpetuating hatred and violence, profits for the very few. The vaccuous quality and of todays music reflects this clampdown, advertised as 'positivism', "Ra-ra USA #1!". And yes, I am referring to popularized, mass produced music. If a person is not part of this cooperation with the Eve of Destruction, they are labeled "bad', a 'downer' and run out of town, reflecting just how sheltered and spoon fed most folks are concerning the true conditions of the bankrupt and souless economic system.
That soulless economic system gets things done that you or I wouldn't or couldn't. I just know that, given the chance any one of us would rather be rich with "them" than poor with us. Anyone lucky enough to get rich NEVER stays in his hovel, 'hood or muddy village.
The system only works because the poor are greedy enough but not greedy ENOUGH to overcome their own limitations. They buy into anything that someone in a flash suit tells them to. Why? Because they're so dim they'd starve without leaders.
Everyone is where they are because they WANT to be there. Heaven is no good for most people because they'd have nothing to whine about. :mrgreen:
Asus P6T deluxe; Core i7 920 2.67gHz; 12gig ram; Win7 Pro SP1; Roland Octa-Capture usb inteface; Cubase 6; and no 3rd party additions couple of hard drives PSU 750watt; NVidia GE Force 9600.
"An entrepreneur accepts that the world is the way that it is and goes about changing it rather than waiting for someone to make it easy for them."

Jed The Humanoid
Junior Member
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Why Hasn't Music Evolved Since The 60s?

Post by Jed The Humanoid » Thu May 31, 2012 7:42 pm

Conman wrote:
Jed The Humanoid wrote:60s music was an indisdinguishable part of a cultural rebellion. Since then, music has been subsumed by the corporatocracy and most elements of rebellion are either wiped clean or are for hipster show only. Since the 60s, which were about resisting the warmongering, selfish, fearful and poisonous ways of power, a counter reactionary clampdown has emerged which is about retaining the old tried and true ways of perpetuating hatred and violence, profits for the very few. The vaccuous quality and of todays music reflects this clampdown, advertised as 'positivism', "Ra-ra USA #1!". And yes, I am referring to popularized, mass produced music. If a person is not part of this cooperation with the Eve of Destruction, they are labeled "bad', a 'downer' and run out of town, reflecting just how sheltered and spoon fed most folks are concerning the true conditions of the bankrupt and souless economic system.
That soulless economic system gets things done that you or I wouldn't or couldn't. I just know that, given the chance any one of us would rather be rich with "them" than poor with us. Anyone lucky enough to get rich NEVER stays in his hovel, 'hood or muddy village.
The system only works because the poor are greedy enough but not greedy ENOUGH to overcome their own
limitations. They buy into anything that someone in a flash suit tells them to. Why? Because they're so dim they'd
starve without leaders.
Everyone is where they are because they WANT to be there. Heaven is no good for most people because they'd have nothing to whine about. :mrgreen:
Thats the standard indoctrination taught you since birth. In short its, "success is its own standard", and "might is
right." If you really believe all people would rather be "rich" than "poor" ( I put those words in italics because they standard value of those words really don't apply to their reality), it only means you've bought into the lies hook line and sinker. Good luck! I know where I stand too. Thanks for letting us know what is all about for you, Conman.
A8v Deluxe, XP, Cubase4, 3gram

Jed The Humanoid
Junior Member
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Why Hasn't Music Evolved Since The 60s?

Post by Jed The Humanoid » Thu May 31, 2012 7:55 pm

Steve Fogal wrote:With all respect the 60's are over...that was then, this is now. :
Um........no. Thats only what they'dike you to believe. Its like saying the flame of justice and freedom and peace and love has died out. Its only their illusion that violence and socialized thieving bankruptcy of the plutocracy is the only option for mankind. Socialism for the rich, capitalism for the rest.

But it is true that the human struggle for peace and justice and sanity and good earth tending is a never ending struggle. The history of decency and sanity is not a continuous arc, its a zig zag, and nefarious forces are always gathering. For instance, women had the right to property and leadership thousands of years ago. There was a limit to slavery, thousands of years ago. But evil keep coming back, and it must be fought.

It is truly one of the biggest misrepresentations of all times, that the 'modern' world and modern people are superior to the people and cultures of the past. We are not superior in intelligence nor in heart. But the indoctrination states that only by ones cooperation with the money system is a person measured.
A8v Deluxe, XP, Cubase4, 3gram

Conman
Senior Member
Posts: 2116
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:31 am

Re: Why Hasn't Music Evolved Since The 60s?

Post by Conman » Thu May 31, 2012 9:00 pm

Jed The Humanoid wrote:
Conman wrote:
Jed The Humanoid wrote:60s music was an indisdinguishable part of a cultural rebellion. Since then, music has been subsumed by the corporatocracy and most elements of rebellion are either wiped clean or are for hipster show only. Since the 60s, which were about resisting the warmongering, selfish, fearful and poisonous ways of power, a counter reactionary clampdown has emerged which is about retaining the old tried and true ways of perpetuating hatred and violence, profits for the very few. The vaccuous quality and of todays music reflects this clampdown, advertised as 'positivism', "Ra-ra USA #1!". And yes, I am referring to popularized, mass produced music. If a person is not part of this cooperation with the Eve of Destruction, they are labeled "bad', a 'downer' and run out of town, reflecting just how sheltered and spoon fed most folks are concerning the true conditions of the bankrupt and souless economic system.
That soulless economic system gets things done that you or I wouldn't or couldn't. I just know that, given the chance any one of us would rather be rich with "them" than poor with us. Anyone lucky enough to get rich NEVER stays in his hovel, 'hood or muddy village.
The system only works because the poor are greedy enough but not greedy ENOUGH to overcome their own
limitations. They buy into anything that someone in a flash suit tells them to. Why? Because they're so dim they'd
starve without leaders.
Everyone is where they are because they WANT to be there. Heaven is no good for most people because they'd have nothing to whine about. :mrgreen:
Thats the standard indoctrination taught you since birth. In short its, "success is its own standard", and "might is
right." If you really believe all people would rather be "rich" than "poor" ( I put those words in italics because they standard value of those words really don't apply to their reality), it only means you've bought into the lies hook line and sinker. Good luck! I know where I stand too. Thanks for letting us know what is all about for you, Conman.

Works from village to metropolis. What you are told, and believe, is that you are free to break out any time you want by plotting with the like-minded in dark places.
I'm already out. It's very easy. All you have to do is change your name and disappear. There's still a lot of places to disappear to out there. Just because they tell us it's all full it's not so. If you have the courage to tell this cosy world to effoff you can.
If you're sitting at a COMPUTER writing about "revolution" then you're already in nick mate. :mrgreen: Or you're already rich. :mrgreen:
There's lots of people been indoctrinating me since birth. Most of them have been saying the same things as you say.
Only poor people sit in pubs plotting against the rich (even Egyptian caves have "Down with Pharaoh!" written on them by cave-drinkers). The rich don't have to plot because they have proper, professional plans. And if you don't have a plan you'll not change a thing because if you haven't got a plan people (both rich & poor people) think you're just another fool.
Oil and gold has only been around for a few years and it'll be gone soon. Make your mind up before it's all gone and there's no handy internet to tell people "stuff" on. You think it's bad now? Wait til the guys with clubs come around and tell you to get down the mines.
Rich citizens ordinary men can communicate with have also only been around a short while. At least you can say what you do without having your head cut off. A lot of good men died getting to this state and I'm not sure they can or could bend the natural orders much more than they have done.
I'm afraid you missed the revolution and this is it's outcome. It's a as good as it gets. Enjoy it while it lasts.
When you're in heaven don't keep kicking god up the Khyber. :mrgreen:
Asus P6T deluxe; Core i7 920 2.67gHz; 12gig ram; Win7 Pro SP1; Roland Octa-Capture usb inteface; Cubase 6; and no 3rd party additions couple of hard drives PSU 750watt; NVidia GE Force 9600.
"An entrepreneur accepts that the world is the way that it is and goes about changing it rather than waiting for someone to make it easy for them."

Shinta215
Senior Member
Posts: 1032
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: Why Hasn't Music Evolved Since The 60s?

Post by Shinta215 » Thu May 31, 2012 9:14 pm

foolomon wrote:I think you are all old. :P :P :P
I'm considered old?

I realize that I'm not a teenager anymore, but I should still be considered "young".

I'm part of the generation that "modern music" is targeted to.

And I think it pales in comparison to "oldies" music.

As for the question "Why hasn't music evolved since the 60s?":

Money.
If you make money from your music, it has now become a business.
Do you take a high-risk gamble and make something new that only a few people may like?
Or do you choose the low-risk gamble and make something that you know the masses like?
Business logic dictates that you take the lower risk (and better return) option.

Also:

When you think about the major "evolutions" in music (the different eras, etc) it was back when music was the entertainment of monarchs and they were constantly trying to "one up" the other (without a war). If the monarch liked a different sort of music, then usually their nobles agreed (if they wanted to stay in the monarch's favor), and thus a new form of music was born.
Even in the 60s different music was seen as a "down with the old culture" phenomenon.
My point: there was a definite social aspect encouraging artists to do something "different".

However, nowadays, there is more of a group mentality (especially with the internet) than ever before.
People like what is "cool" and "in-style" meaning "what the masses like".
Do you go against the norm and win the favor of a few and the disdain of the masses?
Or do you keep with the norm and win the favor of the masses?

Jed The Humanoid
Junior Member
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Why Hasn't Music Evolved Since The 60s?

Post by Jed The Humanoid » Thu May 31, 2012 10:27 pm

Like
A8v Deluxe, XP, Cubase4, 3gram

User avatar
surfer
Member
Posts: 427
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Why Hasn't Music Evolved Since The 60s?

Post by surfer » Thu May 31, 2012 10:28 pm

Today I've listened to:
XIU XIU
Prototypes
Kaiser Chiefs

None of whom sound like '60s bands to my ears

I kind of remember the 60s being called watered down studiofied derivatives of the pure rock 50s.

User avatar
HowlingUlf
Senior Member
Posts: 2174
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Why Hasn't Music Evolved Since The 60s?

Post by HowlingUlf » Thu May 31, 2012 11:28 pm

In the year of twenty-oh-twelve ... There is more than enough of your "favorite" music than you can digest in your awaken hours if you search a little. But that's kind of more true for the type of music you listen to for your own enjoyment.

HOWEVER

Music as a tool of the rebels is pretty alien to the youth of today, it seems to me, but maybe they should have the final saying on that one. Why? Because grandad and granny used to do this and they approve of the music. How lame is that for a rebel? Rock/pop/punk/psychedelia/artrock and anything that defined the youth of that era is now the music of the establishment. Even the rap and grunge generations are growing up and gets assimilated. There is nothing obscene or subversive power left in music as a tool to get attention, get the "us and them" machine going and maybe even get a message across carried by the music. Music here and now is American Idol and Eurovision Song Contest and one of the shortcuts to the fame and fortune everybody is obsessed with these days and every corner is cut off t in order to get your 15 minutes of fame, no matter what. Music as a message carrier is dead!

Music will have to start over. It can and it will! It will be the background noise track for the rest of our lives for the comming 100 years and then the people of the future can make it subversive again. By then we're all dead, just as our music, in the year of 2112.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGROp5a2sUg
Gothenburg, Sweden
Steinberg Cubase Pro 10.5 | Steinberg WaveLab 10 | Steinberg Absolute 4 | Steinberg SpectralLayers 6
Win10 63.5 Pro | ASUS ATX Z170-P | Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake | 32GB RAM |
Nektar Panorama P6 | | Steinberg Midex8 | Steinberg UR824 |

Jed The Humanoid
Junior Member
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Why Hasn't Music Evolved Since The 60s?

Post by Jed The Humanoid » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:03 am

surfer wrote:Today I've listened to:
XIU XIU
Prototypes
Kaiser Chiefs

None of whom sound like '60s bands to my ears

I kind of remember the 60s being called watered down studiofied derivatives of the pure rock 50s.

I'm sorry, I don't accept that "its all the same'. There are different eras, different characteristics. The 60s were an era of legitimate consciousness-expansion, like a biological entity that mutates a sudden leap. Since then there has been, for lack of a better political term, "conservative" reaction, tamping down the threat of change, in artistic arenas and political/social. And worse, an absorbtion and cooptation of all that is weak about revolution. The powers-that-be will certainly not fade off into the sunset willingly, no matter how disproven its methods and its goals. These last few decades since the 60s are marked and dominated by counter revolution. Contra revolution. Many are on board with that and believe they have personally benifited - despite or in ignorance of the real external costs.
A8v Deluxe, XP, Cubase4, 3gram

Jed The Humanoid
Junior Member
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Why Hasn't Music Evolved Since The 60s?

Post by Jed The Humanoid » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:11 am

HowlingUlf wrote:In the year of twenty-oh-twelve ... There is more than enough of your "favorite" music than you can digest in your awaken hours if you search a little. But that's kind of more true for the type of music you listen to for your own enjoyment.

HOWEVER

Music as a tool of the rebels is pretty alien to the youth of today, it seems to me, but maybe they should have the final saying on that one. Why? Because grandad and granny used to do this and they approve of the music. How lame is that for a rebel? Rock/pop/punk/psychedelia/artrock and anything that defined the youth of that era is now the music of the establishment. Even the rap and grunge generations are growing up and gets assimilated. There is nothing obscene or subversive power left in music as a tool to get attention, get the "us and them" machine going and maybe even get a message across carried by the music. Music here and now is American Idol and Eurovision Song Contest and one of the shortcuts to the fame and fortune everybody is obsessed with these days and every corner is cut off t in order to get your 15 minutes of fame, no matter what. Music as a message
carrier is dead!

Music will have to start over. It can and it will! It will be the background noise track for the rest of our lives for the comming 100 years and then the people of the future can make it subversive again. By then we're all dead, just as our music, in the year of 2112.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGROp5a2sUg
Interesting and thoughtful...
A8v Deluxe, XP, Cubase4, 3gram

Post Reply

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest