Channel Setting Order - only view?

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
cborg

Channel Setting Order - only view?

Post by cborg » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:01 pm

Hi!

In the channel setting setup you can change the order in which the Insert, EQ, Sends, Fader, etc are shown.

But if I want to set the signal to go through EQ before the inserts, how do I set that?

.christian
"It's the sound itself that's important and the ability to work with it, not where it comes from.

They (musicians) are manipulators of sound, not purists." - Bob Moog

thinkingcap
Grand Senior Member

Re: Channel Setting Order - only view?

Post by thinkingcap » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:18 pm

cborg wrote:Hi!

In the channel setting setup you can change the order in which the Insert, EQ, Sends, Fader, etc are shown.

But if I want to set the signal to go through EQ before the inserts, how do I set that?

.christian
You can' t.
Cubase 5.1.1 (32bit) | Win 7 Pro x64 SP1 | RME Fireface UFX | RME Fireface 800 | Cubase Essential 5 | Win 7 Home Premium x64
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just took off my thinkingcap, it got filled up with too much crap...

cborg

Post by cborg » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:23 pm

Thanks thinkingcap.

I was afraid of that.
Well, the search for a decent linear HP/LP (or hi/lo shelvning) filter plugin continues then.
"It's the sound itself that's important and the ability to work with it, not where it comes from.

No1DaBeats

Post by No1DaBeats » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:17 pm

Why don't you simply use the Studio EQ?
Insert 1 - 6 are pre-Channel EQ and prefader.
Insert 7 & 8 are post.

Best regards.
Surface Book 2 (i7 16GB), Steinberg UR28M, Yamaha KX 49, Steinberg CMC CH, PD, TP & QC, Cubase Pro 9, WaveLab 8.0.2, Halion 6, Groove Agent 4

------

Life is too short for realtime-bouncing..

No1DaBeats

Post by No1DaBeats » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:18 pm

Ah ok. You need a pre-Insert. I'm sorry.

Best regards.
Surface Book 2 (i7 16GB), Steinberg UR28M, Yamaha KX 49, Steinberg CMC CH, PD, TP & QC, Cubase Pro 9, WaveLab 8.0.2, Halion 6, Groove Agent 4

------

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:23 pm

I'm not sure where in the signal flow you are wanting to do this ...

for incoming audio, the input channels have inserts. This is effectively post AD but pre audio track. This is like printing the effect to the track.

for VSTi, you can make a VST channel and route the unprocessed signal to that channel and route that to an audio track.
cpu:i7 6950x - RAM:128gb - OS:Win 10 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 9 | Cubase VST-32->9 | H5, GA4, HSO, Padshop Pro, Cubasis, iC Pro

No1DaBeats

Post by No1DaBeats » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:26 pm

What do you want to achieve? I don't really get
the complication about this.

------

cborg

Post by cborg » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:25 pm

Well, I just wanted to use the builtin EQ as a prefilter (HP/LP)-stage since I don't use it for actual EQ-tasks.
Inspired by the Neve 88RS the signal flow (but I want to conserve some power on the UAD).

Of course there are other solutions like using a nice HP/LP-filter (that does only that) VST on the first insert. So the second option was to look for such a filter VST (found brainworx cleansweep which seems nice).

As a last resort I could of course set up StudioEQ for this.
But I was just checking if it was doable with the builtin stuff since you can set the views in different orders.

Thanks for the replies and have a nice weekend you all!

No1DaBeats

Post by No1DaBeats » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:45 pm

If you want to put an effect in front of the chain,
you still can process a plugin into the audio material.
That'd be pre-insert.

------

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:00 pm

No1DaBeats wrote:If you want to put an effect in front of the chain,
you still can process a plugin into the audio material.
That'd be pre-insert.
that's what I was getting at, you can do it for both audio in and VSTi in. Since Studio-EQ is nearly identical to the channel EQ, I'm not sure what the objection is. It would save UAD power and put the HPF before the insert chain. The only drawback is that it gets printed during record. I'm kind of baffled what this is about to. Although, I've wondered why we can't have more post fader/eq inserts.
cpu:i7 6950x - RAM:128gb - OS:Win 10 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 9 | Cubase VST-32->9 | H5, GA4, HSO, Padshop Pro, Cubasis, iC Pro

cborg

Post by cborg » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:31 pm

Guys guys, it's not that complicated. Thinkingcap gave me the answer I needed.
If it had been possible to route as I asked (the 88rs channel strip changes it with just the press of a button) it would've saved me an insert-slot. That's all.

No1DaBeats

Post by No1DaBeats » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:51 pm

cborg wrote:Guys guys, it's not that complicated. Thinkingcap gave me the answer I needed.
If it had been possible to route as I asked (the 88rs channel strip changes it with just the press of a button) it would've saved me an insert-slot. That's all.
Ah. K. :D

------

Return to “Older Cubase versions”