why so quiet!

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
GeorgeGrvscl
New Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:50 am
Contact:

why so quiet!

Post by GeorgeGrvscl » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:27 am

Dear Steinberg,
I'm rather new to Cubase, and immediately, I'm struggling with Cubase's "quietness"

could you PLEASE PLEASE make Cubase louder(in a short sense) internally
at least now+0.2 (maybe +0.5 even)@Unity @ evrychannel???

do you compare with Logic/PT at the developping?? maybe ok with £100k+ class high end monitoring system.
but in a private studio like mine (1k-2k) it is ovbious that Cubase is quiet for playback.
(on either VSTi, Samples)
whatever you try, you just can't go there. otherwise, already OL. (yet on my mixer, lower LEDs at the same fader)

its not about which sound engine is better and such. (its all down to your taste. thus I came from Logic)
I'm talking about simply the matter of volume/loudness.

and other users (who hasn't used Logic/PT) that's the rest of the world. raise your voice.

cheers!
und MfG (für Steinberg)

User avatar
Jarno
Senior Member
Posts: 1456
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:31 pm
Contact:

Re: why so quiet!

Post by Jarno » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:07 am

Cubase doesn't have any "quietness" problem. It's completely capable of outputting square wave @ 0dBfs, which is loudest signal any digital audio system can ever produce.

Please check your signal path: analog connections/equipment, Cubase master fader/control room, etc etc...
Cubase 8 Pro/7/4/SX1/VST3.7 | Waves Gold | Melodyne | PC i7-4770/8G/2xSSD/Win7 64 | MacMini | Frontier Tranzport
Tascam DM-4800 | Soundcraft Spirit Studio 16 | dbx231 | Genelec 1032A | KEF C15 | Auratone 5S | Samson S-phone
Yamaha REV500/SPX990 | Alesis Midiverb4 | Roland SDE-330 | Pearl Echo Orbit | Aphex 109 x2 | TL-Audio C5021
Alesis 3630 | AudioLogic MT66 | Joemeek VC1Q | dbx386 | Focusrite VoiceMaster | Line6 PodXt/BassPodXt | Boss GT-3
Roland TD8/TD5/JV2080/SC55 | UseAudio Plugiator | E-mu ProteusXR | Akai S-900/AX73 | M-Audio Keystation
Martin/Taylor/Ortega/ESP/Fender/Line6 guitars/basses | Pearl/Olympic by Premier drumkits | Custom Roland V-drum kit
AKG D112/CK77 | Calrec CM1050C | Earthworks QTC30 | EV RE20/Spherex920 | Neumann M147 | Pearl CR57
Peavey PVM45 | RØDE NT2/NT55 | Sennheiser MD441/MD421/e606 | Shure SM7/SM57/SM58/BETA57/BETA58 ...
... Saeco Odea Giro Espresso machine | BMW Z3 roadster | American Pit Bull Terrier

User avatar
Split
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 5285
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:06 pm
Contact:

Re: why so quiet!

Post by Split » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:16 am

GeorgeGrvscl wrote: I'm talking about simply the matter of volume/loudness.
You simply need do do some research into the matter!
??????Split
Cubase 10|MOTU 16A
Still at it... just!

Guest

Re: why so quiet!

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:23 am

when I first started out with audio on SX I used to think the same thing but then I realised I didn't really know as much about a DAW as I thought I did ,yes it was a complete user error , so take splits advice and research ;)

thinkingcap
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 6459
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: why so quiet!

Post by thinkingcap » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:21 am

GeorgeGrvscl wrote: could you PLEASE PLEASE make Cubase louder(in a short sense) internally
at least now+0.2 (maybe +0.5 even)@Unity @ evrychannel???
+0.2 @ unity - sounds logical.
But don´t you think that´s a little too much..? I mean 0.2 will easily blow your speakers, if not used carefully.
Cubase 5.1.1 (32bit) | Win 7 Pro x64 SP1 | RME Fireface UFX | RME Fireface 800 | Cubase Essential 5 | Win 7 Home Premium x64
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just took off my thinkingcap, it got filled up with too much crap...

User avatar
sonicstate
Member
Posts: 467
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:28 pm
Contact:

Re: why so quiet!

Post by sonicstate » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:58 am

thinkingcap wrote:
GeorgeGrvscl wrote: could you PLEASE PLEASE make Cubase louder(in a short sense) internally
at least now+0.2 (maybe +0.5 even)@Unity @ evrychannel???
+0.2 @ unity - sounds logical.
But don´t you think that´s a little too much..? I mean 0.2 will easily blow your speakers, if not used carefully.
Good point. 0.2 is way too risky. I wouldn't play with that. I'd say 0.17 or 0.18, maximum 0.182, but that's really playing with fire.
Cubase Pro 8.5, Win 64bit, i7-4770K @4.3GHz, ASUS Z87-K, 16Gb, RME HDSP 9652, BCF 2000, BCR 2000, Novation Launchpad Mini, M-Audio TriggerFinger, M-Audio Axiom AIR Mini 32, Korg NanoKey, plenty outboard synths and fx, 24ch Studiomaster mixer, Yamaha NS10s, Dynaudio BM5, Samson Rubicon R8a Ribbon, etc...

User avatar
BriHar
Senior Member
Posts: 2144
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:10 pm
Contact:

Re: why so quiet!

Post by BriHar » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:25 am

Ahhh cat the crup, everone knows it's got to go up to eleven !!!
:lol:
"...yes I think it can be easily done, just take everything down to Highway 61."

Sun Point Studio Turbenthal, Switzerland


Cubase Pro 8.5.15 - 64bit | Cubase AI8 | WaveLab 9.0.10 - 64bit | PT10 | UR28M | UR44 | CMC-PD/4xFD/QC/AI/CH/TP | BCF2000 | Contour Shuttlexpress | Graphire Tablet | Cubendo Custom Keyboard | Lenovo E31 Workstation:Xeon E3-1225V2/3.2GHz; 14GB DDR3 SDRAM; 2x Intel-Flash520 SSD 180GB (C:/D:);1TB 7200rpm Sata3 (F:); DVD RW (E:); Ext. 3TB USB3 Freecom + WD 1TB; Nvidea GeForce GT 630 4GB DDR3 Video Ram AGP PCIE | Win 10 Pro 64 Bit

GeorgeGrvscl
New Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:50 am
Contact:

Re: why so quiet!

Post by GeorgeGrvscl » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:58 pm

I know its capable of playing full normalised square at unity.
but I am saying that that output is quiet.

on the fader, it says "0.2" and when you move a channel fader up to it, then just about to touch Logic/PT.

and thanks for all your responses. but the funny thing is, none of you guys uses Mac/Logic environment as far as I see
and I presume you might have no idea what I'm talking about. (no offence)
ok, maybe some could be former Logic users... can you still compare A/B??

Cubase sounds OK. basically. think I am just deaf enough not to feel "oh hello" with Cubase's Unity.

and exactly I was expecting "check ya mixer fader you *****" "do you even know about MIDI?" kinda response.
as well as all other answers I sort of expected. and I am done, I would check back sometimes this thread.
for if maybe some interesting responses.

if you'd like to continue. please do dis"fuss" further. eventually if Steinberg checked into it,(and improved it)
we all get a slightly louder(or a normal loud) Cubase. we all happy. and if they would, earlier the better.


still, again, if Steinberg could hear, I would like you to check into that please.


ta!

GeorgeGrvscl
New Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:50 am
Contact:

Re: why so quiet!

Post by GeorgeGrvscl » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:11 pm

p.s. I said "I'm rather new to Cubase" but I'm not new to Logic and PT. just in case. if the fader was down...

ta ta!

User avatar
Strophoid
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 4648
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: why so quiet!

Post by Strophoid » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:14 pm

Unless the meters in Cubase are blatantly lying, how could Cubase be quiter than any other program?
Software: Steinberg Cubase Pro 8 64-bit.
Hardware: Intel i5 6600, 16Gb DDR3, Win7 64-bit
Mackie Onyx 1620i - Steinberg Midex 8 - Steinberg CC121.

My humble contributions to what could be considered music.

dr4kan
Junior Member
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:30 pm
Contact:

Re: why so quiet!

Post by dr4kan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:52 pm

GeorgeGrvscl wrote:but the funny thing is, none of you guys uses Mac/Logic environment as far as I see
and I presume you might have no idea what I'm talking about. (no offence)
ok, maybe some could be former Logic users... can you still compare A/B??
I was (am) a Logic user before I moved to Cubase 7: Logic is NOT louder than Cubase, as expected, as it should be...so you should have some problems with your hardware or software configuration.
Cubase 7.5, Mac i7 16 GB ram (512 + 512 Samsung 840 pro), OSX 10.9.0
MR816X, Motu Ultralite, UAD 2, MCU Pro, CC121, Adam A7x, Axiom 49...

Denis
New Member
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:00 pm
Contact:

Re: why so quiet!

Post by Denis » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:19 pm

I used Logic for many years (before e-magic dumped the PC version). It is no louder then Cubase. I would think your system is misconfigured in some way ...

Jeff Hayat
Senior Member
Posts: 1183
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:46 am
Contact:

Re: why so quiet!

Post by Jeff Hayat » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:26 pm

If the ouptut of Cubase nulls with the output of Logic - which it does - that means that both Logic's output and Cubase's output are the same identical level. Anyone who claims that Cubase (or any other seq) is quieter or louder than another should check their sound card and monitoring setup.

Cheers.

SteelyDani
Junior Member
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 10:51 am
Contact:

Re: why so quiet!

Post by SteelyDani » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:30 pm

Honestly GeorgeGrvscl what the hell are you talking about? I do not understand anything. :shock:
http://www.bcstudiorecording.com
BCS. Basque Coast Studio
Music is a gift from God to Man

Windows 10 (64)/ Cubase Pro 9.5/ WaveLab 9.5 Elements/ Halion 6 / Intel(R) I7-6700K @ 4.00 GHz - 32GB Dual Channel DDR4/ MOTU PCI-424 + 4 X 2408 mk3

GeorgeGrvscl
New Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:50 am
Contact:

Re: why so quiet!

Post by GeorgeGrvscl » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:57 pm

so, did anyone A/B 'ed then?
(ok, its not only play back, try make a simple sound like bass and some EQing) (did you?? dr4kan)

I don't touch anything but my mouse when I switch between L/C btw.
Cubase, especially quiet in MidLo and Lo. you might say its tidier.
or other word, Logic is chunkier.(denser.)
and its subtle. too loud (or too quiet) monitoring (and/or) without a room treatment, you may miss it..

I don't care the theoritical data. but the received feeling that I feel it is quiet.
you can make different sizes (and density) of foam from the same amount of soap..

more importantly, I am not denying Cubase. I am hoping Cubase (or maybe Logic?) to be improved in someway.
and again, after that, remember we all can have the better Cubase.
(so, why do you all cover Steinberg btw??)
and this much of response in a short period of time, you all are interested in it too.. (or just to attack?)..

nevertheless, please Steinberg, do look into it and no need to argue further nor in future...

cheers!

Jeff Hayat
Senior Member
Posts: 1183
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:46 am
Contact:

Re: why so quiet!

Post by Jeff Hayat » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:11 pm

GeorgeGrvscl wrote:so, did anyone A/B 'ed then?
YES
GeorgeGrvscl wrote: but the received feeling that I feel it is quiet.
Sorry, your feeling is wrong.
GeorgeGrvscl wrote:I don't care the theoritical data.
The 'theoritical data' is what is used to take out the human - or imperfect - element. If you dont care the theoritical data, you have a TON to learn.

Maybe start here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_law

And nobody is attacking you, just tellng you that you are wrong. Which you are.

Gusfmm
New Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:05 pm
Contact:

Re: why so quiet!

Post by Gusfmm » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:02 pm

Wow. Sounds mind boggling.

So from what you're describing, if you take the very same sample and run it through both Logic and Cubase, and put a frequency spectrum plug-in at the end, you'll be seeing a different frequency curve? Is that right?

Have you done that? 'Cause this is not even a conversation to be had unless you have actual factual evidence of what you're describing. So since you don't like the theoretical aspects, let's try the empirical side first.

And by the way, in order to get different densities of soap, you do have to put in an additional factor in order to get that different density- either more water, or more energy into the system... there is no magic in science.
_____________
__

User avatar
kzarider
Member
Posts: 836
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:47 pm
Contact:

Re: why so quiet!

Post by kzarider » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:50 am

Is this a joke?
PC i7-8770K Gigabyte 370 Win10 64bit -32gb ram; i7 2015 MackBook Pro; Cubase 9.5, Wavelab 8.5, Presonus 3, Digital Performer, Access Virus TI2, Vienna Instruments Cube-MIR-Pro 5, Imperial Grand, EastWest PlayComposer, UAD Quad, Baldwin L3, Hammond B3-Sk2, Rhodes, Wurlitzer 200, Hohner Clav, Waldorf, NI Komplete 10, Gretch Brooklyn, Omnisphere, Keyscape, Trillian, RMX, Superior Drums, BFD, etc. Antelope Orion 32HD, Antelope Goliath HD
http://zkeysmusic.com/
https://soundcloud.com/search?q=zkeysmusic
https://www.facebook.com/ZKeys-Studio-1608666072789495/

User avatar
Jarno
Senior Member
Posts: 1456
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:31 pm
Contact:

Re: why so quiet!

Post by Jarno » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:02 am

GeorgeGrvscl wrote:I don't care the theoritical data. but the received feeling that I feel it is quiet.
Problem found:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
Cubase 8 Pro/7/4/SX1/VST3.7 | Waves Gold | Melodyne | PC i7-4770/8G/2xSSD/Win7 64 | MacMini | Frontier Tranzport
Tascam DM-4800 | Soundcraft Spirit Studio 16 | dbx231 | Genelec 1032A | KEF C15 | Auratone 5S | Samson S-phone
Yamaha REV500/SPX990 | Alesis Midiverb4 | Roland SDE-330 | Pearl Echo Orbit | Aphex 109 x2 | TL-Audio C5021
Alesis 3630 | AudioLogic MT66 | Joemeek VC1Q | dbx386 | Focusrite VoiceMaster | Line6 PodXt/BassPodXt | Boss GT-3
Roland TD8/TD5/JV2080/SC55 | UseAudio Plugiator | E-mu ProteusXR | Akai S-900/AX73 | M-Audio Keystation
Martin/Taylor/Ortega/ESP/Fender/Line6 guitars/basses | Pearl/Olympic by Premier drumkits | Custom Roland V-drum kit
AKG D112/CK77 | Calrec CM1050C | Earthworks QTC30 | EV RE20/Spherex920 | Neumann M147 | Pearl CR57
Peavey PVM45 | RØDE NT2/NT55 | Sennheiser MD441/MD421/e606 | Shure SM7/SM57/SM58/BETA57/BETA58 ...
... Saeco Odea Giro Espresso machine | BMW Z3 roadster | American Pit Bull Terrier

Guest

Re: why so quiet!

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:12 am

Jarno wrote:
GeorgeGrvscl wrote:I don't care the theoritical data. but the received feeling that I feel it is quiet.
Problem found:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
spot on ;)

Asgardao
Junior Member
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:31 pm
Contact:

Re: why so quiet!

Post by Asgardao » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:12 am

It is a good thing Cubase is quiet. The singing parts (myself in vocals) in my project are way too loud. Doesn't matter if I turn the master volume down. Only when totally muted, I'm satisfied with what I hear.
Cubase 7.0.2 64bit, Win 7
MR816csx
CC121

GeorgeGrvscl
New Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:50 am
Contact:

Re: why so quiet!

Post by GeorgeGrvscl » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:18 pm

well, maybe people who feel Cubase is quiet, moved to (or selected) Logic or PT and others already..
(came from Logic who does't feel, then doesn't feel either.)

hence this thread looks a bit confirmation bias whatever you call it..
and sorry, I'm not studying psychology nor researching for a scientific data at shool. nor attending to any churches and such.
but I'm making music. came to talk about your tool at a developer's website's forum.
if you don't think anything different, you go on that way. I am just a stupid person. everyone's happy.
you don't have to deny nor patronise others.

@Jeff Hayat like I said, I was expecting to all the "check ya fader, check ya panlaw, cheeck ya monitors etc." responses.

I said "I feel it in esp. in mid/lo" also said "I am deaf enough to feel that"
and @Asgardao, I never said Cubase sounds bad.
or, the other repliers' way of saying, check the setting of your mic, preamp, I/O...

and, lastly, for everyone doesn't feel anything. (recommend 1080p and not too loud)
if don't feel anything, that's your opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJfe-A9Ebrc



good discussion.

cheers!

s_j_e
New Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:39 pm
Contact:

Re: why so quiet!

Post by s_j_e » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:26 pm

All sounded *exactly* the same to me!
Desktop: Cubase 5.5.2, SX 3.1.0.944, WinXP Home SP3, Q6600 EP35-DS3P 4GB, Cosmos case, 2xGeForce 8400, 3x20" LCD, Tascam US-428, ART SLA-1, Blueroom Minipods. Laptop: SX 3.1.0.944, WinXP Home SP2, Dell 6000 PM 2.0 512 DDR2, Echo Indigo DJ. Posts: +400 +360

User avatar
Scab Pickens
Senior Member
Posts: 1740
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:27 am
Location: Colorado Springs, CO USA
Contact:

Re: why so quiet!

Post by Scab Pickens » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:27 pm

GeorgeGrvscl wrote:I am just a stupid person.
The only statement you have made that actually makes sense.

:mrgreen:
Win 10 | Cubase Pro 10.5.12 | Focusrite Pro 40

themarqueeyears
Junior Member
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:43 pm
Contact:

Re: why so quiet!

Post by themarqueeyears » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:16 pm

This is a joke right?

Being 50 years old this year, I find myself walking into these "in joke" internet forum threads, offering all sorts of sensible advice only to be realise I'm making an *ss of myself coz I didn't get the "joke" and thought the thread was actually a serious subject.

So this IS a joke right .... please tell me it's a wind up.

Post Reply

Return to “Older Cubase versions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AstroCat and 5 guests