HALion Sonic 2 and HALion 5 released

All topics on HALion 4, HALion 5 and Steinberg's VST workstations HALion Sonic 1 and HALion Sonic 2
Matthias Quellmann

HALion Sonic 2 and HALion 5 released

Post by Matthias Quellmann » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:13 pm

Hi all,

Today we are very happy to announce the immediate availability of the latest major versions of Steinberg’s popular virtual instruments, HALion 5 and HALion Sonic 2.

With a massive library update, several new effects, lots of new features and improvements, these iterations of HALion and HALion Sonic have made a big leap forward.

Please visit http://www.steinberg.net/halion for detailed information about the new instruments inside HALion and HALion Sonic, the new effects and the sound design features.

We have created several videos that introduce all the latest features as well as quick start videos for those of you who are new to HALion and HALion Sonic.

Please also have a listen to the demo tracks and demo phrases on the product pages.

The updates from recent version are now available for download only through the Steinberg Online Shop. http://www.steinberg.net/en/shop.html
Matthias Quellmann - Senior Marketing Manager
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Checkout Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!

G.e.o.f.f.

Re: HALion Sonic 2 and HALion 5 released

Post by G.e.o.f.f. » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:22 am

Looks great.

One question I have about upgrades is to go from Halion Sonic 1.6 to Halion 5. From what I see in the shop it requires two separate upgrades (one from Halion Sonic 1 to Halion Sonic 2 and another from Halion Sonic 2 to Halion 5). Is this the only mechanism or will there be a way to do it in one upgrade process/download?

- Geoff
Cubase Pro 9.5, Windows 10 64 bit, i7-4771, 16GB Ram, GA-Z87X-UD7 TH, UA Quad PCI-e, UA Apollo Quad, GTX750 Ti, Mackie MCU Pro + Extender

Matthias Quellmann

Post by Matthias Quellmann » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:50 pm

G.e.o.f.f. wrote:Looks great.

One question I have about upgrades is to go from Halion Sonic 1.6 to Halion 5. From what I see in the shop it requires two separate upgrades (one from Halion Sonic 1 to Halion Sonic 2 and another from Halion Sonic 2 to Halion 5). Is this the only mechanism or will there be a way to do it in one upgrade process/download?

- Geoff
Hi Geoff,

You are only able to update via HALion Sonic 2 to HALion 5. There is no direct update path from HALion Sonic 1.
Matthias Quellmann - Senior Marketing Manager
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Checkout Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!

IMAWriterRobJ

Post by IMAWriterRobJ » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:46 pm

Hi, for whatever reason, the "B3" type organ presets are reverb loaded, even with the reverb switch off.
Is this a bug?
Hope not. I'm Mac pro Quad core running Mt Lion.
Thanks in advance.
iMac 2018 I7 Quad Core 4.2 gig processor 32 gig Ram (OS 10.13.6) UA ApolloX 8
www.robertjason.com

S4410

Post by S4410 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:31 pm

How much does HalionSonic2 cost?
I only see the update prices...I am interested in the full price as i don't own the previous version(i have the SE through Cubase of course)
Windows 10 Home | i7 3770k | Intel DZ77BH-55K | 32GB | Asus AMD 6450 | RME HDSPe AiO | Cubase Pro 10 | Wavelab Pro 9.5 | Dorico Pro 2| iC| NI Komplete 11 | VSL Special Editions | Ableton Live Intro (rewired) | UAD-2 Quad

Macbook 2.4 | Mac OS X 10.7.5 | Cubase Elements 8

IMAWriterRobJ

Post by IMAWriterRobJ » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:36 pm

IMAWriterRobJ wrote:Hi, for whatever reason, the "B3" type organ presets are reverb loaded, even with the reverb switch off.
Is this a bug?
Hope not. I'm Mac pro Quad core running Mt Lion.
Thanks in advance.
FWIW, this did not manifest itself on ALL the various presets. What did happen was the very cool organ GUI disappeared, to be replaced by the usual HS 1 stuff at the bottom of the page.
www.robertjason.com

zizzer

Post by zizzer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:12 am

Can someone explain to me what's the difference between Halion Sonic 2 and Halion 5. It's not really clear te me. Btw, I allready have Halion Sonic 1...

jaslan
Grand Senior Member

Post by jaslan » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:51 pm

You know how in HS you have a "Program" and it is made up of up to four "Layers", and you can edit each of those Layers? Well, inside of those Layers are "Zones" (and possibly more Layers!). HALion let's you edit your sounds at the Zone level. There are some other differences too but that is that main thing. There was a demo for H4 which is probably gone now but they will probably have one out for H5 soon.
HTH
J.L.
Cubase Pro 10. Core-i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10. UR44. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Fishman TriplePlay. Komplete 11 Ultimate. Jamstix 4. Absolute VST3. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud

zizzer

Post by zizzer » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:57 pm

Ok thanks!

Now I saw you can't download HALion 5. So if I want it, I have to upgrade my HALion Sonic 1 to HALion Sonic 2 and then to HALion 5. Is that the right way?

IMAWriterRobJ

Post by IMAWriterRobJ » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:35 pm

jaslan wrote:You know how in HS you have a "Program" and it is made up of up to four "Layers", and you can edit each of those Layers? Well, inside of those Layers are "Zones" (and possibly more Layers!). HALion let's you edit your sounds at the Zone level. There are some other differences too but that is that main thing. There was a demo for H4 which is probably gone now but they will probably have one out for H5 soon.
HTH
J.L.
To expand on this, as I understand it, Sonic 2 is a sample PLAYER, while Halion 5 is a true sampler.
www.robertjason.com

PnoBln

Post by PnoBln » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:07 pm

Is there a new Synthengine behind Voltage and Trium or is it just a GUI-update?
How do these two Synths compare to Retrologue?

However, the GUI looks very nice!
Q9550 Quad Core, 8GB, RME Hammerfall, Win7 64bit Ultimate, Cubase 6, Wavelab 6, Halion 4, HalionSonic, The Grand 3, VSL SE, DDMF, CC121

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:33 pm

PnoBln wrote:Is there a new Synthengine behind Voltage and Trium or is it just a GUI-update?
How do these two Synths compare to Retrologue?

However, the GUI looks very nice!
I'm pretty sure these are just macro pages with patch sets for the Synth engine. I haven't auditioned the patches, so there may be some patches to cover multiple engines.
cpu:i7 6950x - RAM:128gb - OS:Win 10 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 9 | Cubase VST-32->9 | H5, GA4, HSO, Padshop Pro, Cubasis, iC Pro

jaslan
Grand Senior Member

Post by jaslan » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:07 pm

IMAWriterRobJ wrote:
jaslan wrote:You know how in HS you have a "Program" and it is made up of up to four "Layers", and you can edit each of those Layers? Well, inside of those Layers are "Zones" (and possibly more Layers!). HALion let's you edit your sounds at the Zone level. There are some other differences too but that is that main thing. There was a demo for H4 which is probably gone now but they will probably have one out for H5 soon.
HTH
J.L.
To expand on this, as I understand it, Sonic 2 is a sample PLAYER, while Halion 5 is a true sampler.
Another thing, that I just realized my be important, is the new grain synthesizer. I don't see any direct access to it in HS2 but I assume in H5 you can directly affect it.
J.L.
Cubase Pro 10. Core-i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10. UR44. M-Audio Axiom Pro 61. Fishman TriplePlay. Komplete 11 Ultimate. Jamstix 4. Absolute VST3. 418 Carrier Landings.
SoundCloud

bartja

Post by bartja » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:48 pm

I hoped there would be a demo version just like with the instrument expansions, or am I missing something.

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:58 pm

jaslan wrote:
IMAWriterRobJ wrote:
HTH
J.L.
Another thing, that I just realized my be important, is the new grain synthesizer. I don't see any direct access to it in HS2 but I assume in H5 you can directly affect it.
J.L.
Well, you can't get at the grain engine directly in HS2 per se. But Auron is just a macro page that controls it. Auron is kind of a stripped down version of Padshop. And just like Padshop you can only use the list of existing samples(at least I think that is the case). But, most of the other grain params are directly controllable from the Auron macro page.
cpu:i7 6950x - RAM:128gb - OS:Win 10 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 9 | Cubase VST-32->9 | H5, GA4, HSO, Padshop Pro, Cubasis, iC Pro

jaslan
Grand Senior Member

Post by jaslan » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:23 pm

Thanks for clarifying, Jeff. FWIW, in Padshop Pro, you can select your own samples.
I am still considering getting H5 because, while HS2 is great, I keep finding myself wishing I could have more editing capability over the HSSE content. There are some great, basic sounds in there, and I find myself wanting to make a minor adjustment often.

In fact, there is one program that I liked so much (Dynamic Mini), I opened it in the H4 trial and copied the oscillator, filter, amp, etc., exactly in HS2 and saved it as an HS2 program! Now, I can use the stepmod, FlexPhraser, adjust envelopes, LFOs, whatever I want (limited by HS2, of course).

Yeah, I see H5 in my future...

J.L.
SoundCloud

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:45 pm

jaslan wrote:Thanks for clarifying, Jeff. FWIW, in Padshop Pro, you can select your own samples.
I am still considering getting H5 because, while HS2 is great, I keep finding myself wishing I could have more editing capability over the HSSE content. There are some great, basic sounds in there, and I find myself wanting to make a minor adjustment often.

In fact, there is one program that I liked so much (Dynamic Mini), I opened it in the H4 trial and copied the oscillator, filter, amp, etc., exactly in HS2 and saved it as an HS2 program! Now, I can use the stepmod, FlexPhraser, adjust envelopes, LFOs, whatever I want (limited by HS2, of course).

Yeah, I see H5 in my future...

J.L.
I think that's kind of the point ... H5 is for creating/deep editing. HS2 is for workstation playback and automation.

To further the padshop example, Auron is kind of Padshop pro in H5 as you can use your own samples.

FWIW, Voltage and Trium are just macro pages with patches too but for the Synth engine. They do make editing patches easier due to the "traditional" view of a synth. But, they don't give you anything that isn't already in the synth engine.

singsongstudioro

Post by singsongstudioro » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:13 pm

hy to everyone. I lost mi activation code from my halion sonic ,and I don't know where I can find it. can you tell me an email address or something or somebody ? thanks

jaslan
Grand Senior Member

Post by jaslan » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:34 pm

singsongstudioro wrote:hy to everyone. I lost mi activation code from my halion sonic ,and I don't know where I can find it. can you tell me an email address or something or somebody ? thanks
Was it already activated? Was it registered? Did you receive it in an e-mail (online purchase) or in a box?
J.L.
SoundCloud

singsongstudioro

Post by singsongstudioro » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:43 pm

I just activate the Cubase 7, and I forgotten to activate the halion ,and now expire in some hours. I lost my paper with the codes

jaslan
Grand Senior Member

Post by jaslan » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:02 am

First, confirm that you just bought Cubase 7 and did not also buy HALion separately. In other words, are we talking about the trials that come with Cubase?
If so...
Well, I think there is some good news and bad news...
The bad news is that, if the activation code was on a piece of paper, it is probably lost forever.
The good news is that I think you have a demo (not a permanent license).
You have the DVDs so you could put in a support ticket, explain your situation and they may give you a new TRIAL activation code. Then, install from the DVDs and activate.

If the activation code you lost was for a full, permanent HALion, then you DEFINITELY need to contact support, though I don't know if they can do anything for you.
HTH
J.L.
SoundCloud

zvenx

Post by zvenx » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:21 am

I note that Halion Sonic 2 unlike Halion Sonic is not released as a vst2.4 format for macintosh.

For whatever reason SB insists as it did with retrologue and pad shop before it on not doing vst 2.4 for mac whilst they do it for windows still.
The argument has been made that any mac host that doesn't read vst3 plugins will read AU.

I just found a problem with this.
I have two systems. My studio PC and my preproduction Mac.

If I use Halion Sonic 2 in NI Maschine 2 on mac and try to open this same project on PC it is saying that plugin (Halion Sonic AU) not found and vice versa...... for me this severely restricts me from ever using Halion Sonic 2 in Maschine.
I do hope Steinberg reconsiders this approach.

rsp
richard sven patterson
sound sculptist
--------------------------
Nuendo 10| Gigabyte GAX79UP4 : Intel Hex Core Ivy Bridge Extreme 4930K : 32GB RAM | Windows 10 64bit| Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 10 | MacBookPro Retina 2.8Ghz Quad Core I7 | 10.14.5 | 16GB | NI Komplete Audio 6 | UAD-2 Satellite Thunderbolt Quad |

jarleiceman

Post by jarleiceman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:40 pm

Hello
I’v just reinstaled my win 8(.1), and I reinstaled my Cubase 7 (64)..ok updated to vers. 7.0.6...ok
so then I reinstaled my Halion Sonic, but I only get the vers. 1.6,3.53 (64) (Nov 30 2012)...after update,
but I use to have Halion Sonic 2..If I check in my “Steiberg sites” it says that I have registrated: Halion sonic 2.... :)
PLEASE HELP ME :D :D

senserly from the North
Jarleiceman
"My equempent: PB, 1.6 x 2 Ghz, 1Tb, 8GB, Win 8,1 (64), Cubase 7 (64), Halion Sonic, sound: Steinberg UR22, Steinberg CMC AI, MIDI:M-Audio Keystation 49e USB, , M-AUDIO BX5a, and the newest drivers for ALL..

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:00 pm

jarleiceman wrote:Hello
I’v just reinstaled my win 8(.1), and I reinstaled my Cubase 7 (64)..ok updated to vers. 7.0.6...ok
so then I reinstaled my Halion Sonic, but I only get the vers. 1.6,3.53 (64) (Nov 30 2012)...after update,
but I use to have Halion Sonic 2..If I check in my “Steiberg sites” it says that I have registrated: Halion sonic 2.... :)
PLEASE HELP ME :D :D

senserly from the North
Jarleiceman
"My equempent: PB, 1.6 x 2 Ghz, 1Tb, 8GB, Win 8,1 (64), Cubase 7 (64), Halion Sonic, sound: Steinberg UR22, Steinberg CMC AI, MIDI:M-Audio Keystation 49e USB, , M-AUDIO BX5a, and the newest drivers for ALL..
There are three ways you could have installed it. 1) Part of the Halion 5 install. Or, you purchased it and 2) received the disks 3) got a download link.

1) Re-install Halion 5
2) Use the Halion Sonic 2 media, not Halion Sonic
3) Find the downloaded media from the original link and use it

Should you not have the downloaded installer anymore, open a support request with support to have a new link sent to you.

thekrasi

Post by thekrasi » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:29 pm

Hi all.

I see this is a kind of an old thread but I couldn't find a better place to bring my question up.

I consider buying HALion Sonic 2, but I can't find a trial version of it. Only HALion 5 is available as trial. But to my understanding this is a kind of a different beast. So is there a way for me to try HS 2 as download and then buy the full license if satisfied?

Many thanks in advance!

Return to “Halion 5 | Halion 4 | Halion Sonic | Halion Sonic 2”