Antivirus software

Find topics on computers, studios and music-related hardware.
Martin501

Antivirus software

Post by Martin501 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:47 pm

Hi everyone

I've just installed Cubase 7 on a new pc and I would like to install Kaspersky antivirus software. My pc has 3 1TB drives and I'm not sure whether the antivirus software should be installed on the system drive with Cubase or if it should be installed on the 2nd drive to keep it separate.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Martin.

G-string

Re: Antivirus software

Post by G-string » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:25 pm

all programs should be installed on the system drive as programs register in the windows directory , if you install your programs on a second drive it could cause potential problems .
Tip :
When using as a DAW disable your internet and Antivirus software , every thing runs much smoother ;)
I7 3770k - win7 64 bit - C7.5.20 - WL8e - Halion 5 - Padshop pro - Cmc - Midex 8 - Uad - Rme FF/ADi8pro - Automap 4.7.3 b

Martin501

Post by Martin501 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:02 pm

Hi thanks for your replies on this. I'll give this try and see how I get on.

Thanks again.

Martin

Martin501

Post by Martin501 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:06 pm

Steve Fogal wrote:I never use anti-virus software on my DAW's & never leave them connected to the internet. If you want to check something for viruses, you can always check from another computer 1st.

I'd think you'd install any virus protection on your OS/Programs 'system' drive, not on your song projects or samples drive.

And if you really want to do yourself a big favor, use imaging software...not just for hard drive failures, but easier than fighting a virus too.

thank you for your reply on the antivirus and for the advice on imaging software. I will bear this in mind.

thanks again

Martin

Martin501

Post by Martin501 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:08 pm

Steve Fogal wrote:I never use anti-virus software on my DAW's & never leave them connected to the internet. If you want to check something for viruses, you can always check from another computer 1st.

I'd think you'd install any virus protection on your OS/Programs 'system' drive, not on your song projects or samples drive.

And if you really want to do yourself a big favor, use imaging software...not just for hard drive failures, but easier than fighting a virus too.

Thank you for your reply on this. I'll gve this a try and see how i get on.

many thanks for this

martin

Norbury Brook

Post by Norbury Brook » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:20 am

Microsoft security essentials is a very light resource program that is free and runs in the background on my DAW and has never caused any issues. My computer has been connected to the net 24/7 for 4 years.

MC
Asus X79 pro | 3930x @4.6 hex core | 32 gigs DDR3 | Crucial M4 SSD-win8 x64 | Samsung 840 SSDs | Spinpoint F3's | Poco | VSS3 DVR2 Non Lin | UAD 2| 2x MR 816 | UR824 | full CMC selection |2x Euphonix MC Mix | MC transport |Cubase 7|Nuendo 6 |Windows 8.1 x64

knuckle47

Post by knuckle47 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:06 am

While I have heard .....no Internet connected DAW ... for years, I personally have never been able to do it. This may be the way it is done in professional studios. I have one computer I use. It is continuously updated with high performance peripherals and a complete storage unit for everything I do on a computer. Because my "music" is a hobby ( although an extensive one) I would not want to use a lesser machine to do the other things the system can do...it's fast and that's really something you don't appreciate until compelled to use the computers at work that are updated every 4 years to the next minimum system.

Sitting down at my computer to write letters, Internet stuff, bookkeeping and then recording all at high speeds and processes, is really good. Beats sitting waiting for things to load, I'd imagine many might consider this as standard operating procedure in their use.

As for antivirus, I use avg...I like the fact I can scan things and set the priority for dedication of power resources and getting the scan done more quickly

As I say, I am not a pro studio but love making recordings

I have this set on my system drive which was truly undersized initially, a 64gb SSD. Changed it over to a bigger SSD a few months ago...not fun but well worth it. Not easy keeping stuff off and using it as an OS drive only
Cubase Pro 9.5.3| Win 10 Pro|GTX 1070 video 8gb ddr5| RME UFX+ via Thunderbolt 2| i7 7700k | 32gb Corsair 3600 Ram |ASUS Z270 TUF Mark1 | Samsung 960Pro SSD's | Cubasis | Nektar LX88|Guitar player 56 years|Absolute 3 VST Collection

Return to “Computer/Studio Hardware & Setup”