Help with Master Buss

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
Alex_Zero

Help with Master Buss

Post by Alex_Zero » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:41 pm

Cubase 7 came with an example project file called "Lucky 7", in this project there is a Master Buss setup under "Input/Output" Channels which all the other tracks are routed to. This enables EQ and effects to be applied to all tracks. My simple question is how do I add this to my project? I have been trying to find out for some time!

thinkingcap
Grand Senior Member

Re: Help with Master Buss

Post by thinkingcap » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:03 pm

Alex_Zero wrote:Cubase 7 came with an example project file called "Lucky 7", in this project there is a Master Buss setup under "Input/Output" Channels which all the other tracks are routed to. This enables EQ and effects to be applied to all tracks. My simple question is how do I add this to my project? I have been trying to find out for some time!
You hit its "write" button in the mixer.
Cubase 5.1.1 (32bit) | Win 7 Pro x64 SP1 | RME Fireface UFX | RME Fireface 800 | Cubase Essential 5 | Win 7 Home Premium x64
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just took off my thinkingcap, it got filled up with too much crap...

HughH

Post by HughH » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:48 pm

Are you talking about your main outs?

Your master output channel?
Nuendo 10, Pro Tools Ultimate 2019
i7 5820 Asus x99 Deluxe 64 Gig Win 10 Home, Dual Monitors RME Digiface PCIe
Dell XPS 15 7590 Laptop i9 (10th Gen) 32 Gig Win 10 MOTU 8Pre-ES
i7 920 Asus P6T 12G Win 7 Slave Machine
MCU Pro plus 2 Extenders (24 Chn)
X-Touch Compact for various stuff
Blackmagic Decklink Studio w/27" Monitor
UR22

Outsounder

Post by Outsounder » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:22 am

Not sure what you mean, It seems as if you can't find it? Maybe it's hidden in the channel visibility panel?
Main-Intel i7/Asus mobo/Gforce GPU/32gig ram. Secondary-Intel Q9950/Asus mobo/Radeon GPU/8gig ram.Win7 pro/Win10 pro, Cubase 9.5 Pro/Cubase 10.5 pro, Studio One 4 Pro, ACID, Ableton Live, SonicCore/Scope DSP Audio System, Presonus Sceptre S6 monitors. Avid Artist Mix/Control and Transport. Software includes NI Komplete 10, Halion 6, East West Play Libraries, Heavyocity Libraries, Sample Logic Libraries Best Service Libraries, Sonokinetic Libraries, 8Dio Libraries,Project Sam Libaries, Sound Iron Libraries,Melodyne Pro, Uberschall Elastic & Liquid Libraries etc etc.

fireinthefishtank

Post by fireinthefishtank » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:21 am

I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly, but I think you might be talking about a Group Channel.

You can highlight a bunch of tracks or all if that is what you are trying to do in the mix console and then by right clicking select "Add Group Channel to Selected Channel".

All your tracks are automatically routed to the group track and you can add Eq and Compression to all your tracks by inserting your effect/s on the Group Channel. This is how I understand your question, but I might be wrong.

Of course you can do the same on the master fader but in that scenario all your tracks will be affected going to the master output. With the Group Channel you can process just your drum tracks for example or just your guitar tracks.

Hope this helps!

F-

Alex_Zero

Post by Alex_Zero » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:21 pm

Hi I've used the group channel feature previously, I think you're right that this will do the same as the "Master Buss" in the Cubase demo - eg allow me to apply EQ and effects across all tracks prior to mastering - but just wanted to check I'm not missing something obvious...thanks!

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:00 pm

Geez Louise! This thread is filled with more misinformation than a Bernie Madoff financial report!

Thinkingcap's response is the correct answer to the OPs question: Open the mixer and click on the Write button of the main output.

You can also click on the All Tracks Write button at the top of the track list for the same result.
independent manufacturer rep (not a Steinberg employee)
windows pro 10 | i7-3770k | ga-77x-ud5h | 32 gb | hp spectre x360 2018 | 16 Gb | macbook Pro 2011, 10.13.6 | 8 gb

mroekalea

Post by mroekalea » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:18 pm

OP wrote:.... there is a Master Buss setup under "Input/Output" Channels which all the other tracks are routed to. This enables EQ and effects to be applied to all tracks.
When starting a track there is automatically and master bus (stereo out), maybe you do not see them due to configuration options? Anyway there is always a master out!
Menoj

If nothing goes right, go left!

Win10, 3930K@3.2Ghz, 32GB, 2 x DELL u2713hm monitors (5120 x 1440), monitoring: ADAM P22A with SUB8, Audient ID14 & Behringer XR18 & Focusrite safire pro 26IO, Cubase 9.5 pro & artist 8.5, wavelab 9.5 elements, HSO, RND Portico 5033, CC121, Cubase IC pro, Halion 6, GA4, VG2, Arturia Analog Lab, TRacks CS grand + all custom elements, BFD3, Amplitube 3&4 (fender, orange, SVX collections, slash), Z3TA+2, HSO library, many Waves plugs, Plugin Alliance plugins (BX, SPL, Maag & Elysia), NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, AIR instrument expansion pack v3, Melodyne Studio v4, Soundtoys 5, Lexicon native PCM reverb bundle, UJAM Virtual Guitarist complete bundle, SoniVox Premium collection, Ezkeys upright & Vintage Fender Jazz basses, Fender Bassman 100, Markbass TTE500 , FMC Neo 2128 cab

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:27 pm

mroekalea wrote:When starting a track there is automatically and master bus (stereo out), maybe you do not see them due to configuration options? Anyway there is always a master out!
He is talking about an automation track in the project window, not a channel in the mixer.
windows pro 10 | i7-3770k | ga-77x-ud5h | 32 gb | hp spectre x360 2018 | 16 Gb | macbook Pro 2011, 10.13.6 | 8 gb

fireinthefishtank

Post by fireinthefishtank » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:46 pm

SteveInChicago wrote:Geez Louise! This thread is filled with more misinformation than a Bernie Madoff financial report!

Thinkingcap's response is the correct answer to the OPs question: Open the mixer and click on the Write button of the main output.

You can also click on the All Tracks Write button at the top of the track list for the same result.

Hi Steve,

Please correct me if I am wrong, but how does engaging write automation on the stereo out relate to his question?

The way I understood his request is that in the demo session tracks are routed to one track and that he wants the same when creating a new session.

The master out is present by default when creating a blank session and all the tracks created subsequently are automatically routed to it as well. That being said, I wouldn't think that he was asking about the stereo out.

"Zero 7" has 6 group channels in the session with various tracks being routed to their chosen stereo group channels. GA Drums, Drums, Bass, Guitar....etc.

I'm I missing something?

I could be wrong.

Cheers,
F-

mroekalea

Post by mroekalea » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:49 pm

Ach so, meine falt! Ok didn't read it thoroughly :oops:
Menoj

If nothing goes right, go left!

Win10, 3930K@3.2Ghz, 32GB, 2 x DELL u2713hm monitors (5120 x 1440), monitoring: ADAM P22A with SUB8, Audient ID14 & Behringer XR18 & Focusrite safire pro 26IO, Cubase 9.5 pro & artist 8.5, wavelab 9.5 elements, HSO, RND Portico 5033, CC121, Cubase IC pro, Halion 6, GA4, VG2, Arturia Analog Lab, TRacks CS grand + all custom elements, BFD3, Amplitube 3&4 (fender, orange, SVX collections, slash), Z3TA+2, HSO library, many Waves plugs, Plugin Alliance plugins (BX, SPL, Maag & Elysia), NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, AIR instrument expansion pack v3, Melodyne Studio v4, Soundtoys 5, Lexicon native PCM reverb bundle, UJAM Virtual Guitarist complete bundle, SoniVox Premium collection, Ezkeys upright & Vintage Fender Jazz basses, Fender Bassman 100, Markbass TTE500 , FMC Neo 2128 cab

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:53 pm

fireinthefishtank wrote:Please correct me if I am wrong, but how does engaging write automation on the stereo out relate to his question?
It creates automation tracks for the input and output in the project window. The name of the folder created defaults to "Input/Output Channels". Also, in that particular tutorial project file, the automation track for the stereo output is named "Master Buss".

That's how I know what he was asking.

Split
Grand Senior Member

Post by Split » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:28 pm

and was answered in the second post!!!
??????Split
Cubase 10|MOTU 16A
Still at it... just!

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:31 pm

Where's the smashing-my-head-against-the-wall-emoticon when you need it?

fireinthefishtank

Post by fireinthefishtank » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:43 pm

SteveInChicago wrote:
fireinthefishtank wrote:Please correct me if I am wrong, but how does engaging write automation on the stereo out relate to his question?
It creates automation tracks for the input and output in the project window. The name of the folder created defaults to "Input/Output Channels". Also, in that particular tutorial project file, the automation track for the stereo output is named "Master Buss".

That's how I know what he was asking.

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the reply! I understood he wants to have his tracks routed to a single channel so he can eq or apply fx to them ,all regardless if there is automation in the session or not.

Best,
F-

Alex_Zero

Post by Alex_Zero » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:02 pm

Yep it was the first response to my question, that worked like a charm

cheers

Alex_Zero

Post by Alex_Zero » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:03 pm

thinkingcap wrote:
Alex_Zero wrote:Cubase 7 came with an example project file called "Lucky 7", in this project there is a Master Buss setup under "Input/Output" Channels which all the other tracks are routed to. This enables EQ and effects to be applied to all tracks. My simple question is how do I add this to my project? I have been trying to find out for some time!
You hit its "write" button in the mixer.

this one...

Return to “Older Cubase versions”