Good PC for Cubase 7?

Find topics on computers, studios and music-related hardware.
stratosean

Good PC for Cubase 7?

Post by stratosean »

Looking to install Cubase 7 on a PC I might buy. Will everything function properly based on these specs? Is there anything that may be a problem?

Here is a link to the computer: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/desktop-8gb ... ab=reviews

Thank you in advance for any help.
|2013 Gibson Les Paul Traditional|1993 Fender Korean Stratocaster|Squier Telecaster Custom|Martin D15S|Musicman Sterling Sub Bass|Roland Juno DI|QSC K12|M Audio BX5A|Fender Blues Jr

sycophant

Re: Good PC for Cubase 7?

Post by sycophant »

Intel® HD Graphics 4600 should be fine.

bigmalh64

Post by bigmalh64 »

i see in the specs it has shared video memory this usually means graphics are built into motherboard (not good ) also memory expansion is limited to 16 gig ( may or may not be a problem in the future )

Mauri

Post by Mauri »

Hi,

You need to find out how many PCI and PCIe slots the motherboard has, depending on your needs, this is important.

Mauri.
Cubase Pro 10.5 x64 with jBridge | WaveLab Elements 10 | i7 5930K @ 4.6GHz (stable) | ASUS X99 Pro | 32GB RAM | | W10 x64 Dual Boot on 2 SSDs plus 3 SSDs for samples and project/audio files | Fractal Design Define R5 case | Noctua NH-D15 | AMD Radeon RX 580 | Vox ToneLab SE | Mackie HR624 MKII | 2 x UAD2 Solo PCIe | RME HDSPe AIO | 2 x 24" LED monitors...

abdulreda@msn.com

Post by abdulreda@msn.com »

go to: i7 cpu - 16GB ram - vga 2GB - solid state hard disk - windows 64bit - intel or gigabyte motherboard that works properly with the i7 cpu
Moustafa Abdulreda
Siga Studio

Mauri

Post by Mauri »

To 'stratosean',

Solid state drives are nice but expensive for the capacity, roughly a dollar per GB. You would probably need a large second internal hard disk drive for your projects, sample libraries and audio files to use Cubase.
In other words, solid state drives are cool but not necessary;).

Mauri.
Cubase Pro 10.5 x64 with jBridge | WaveLab Elements 10 | i7 5930K @ 4.6GHz (stable) | ASUS X99 Pro | 32GB RAM | | W10 x64 Dual Boot on 2 SSDs plus 3 SSDs for samples and project/audio files | Fractal Design Define R5 case | Noctua NH-D15 | AMD Radeon RX 580 | Vox ToneLab SE | Mackie HR624 MKII | 2 x UAD2 Solo PCIe | RME HDSPe AIO | 2 x 24" LED monitors...

sycophant

Post by sycophant »

Hard drives are now using 4K physical cluster sizes for large and efficient file storage.

SSD is not really necessary for Windows 8 using modern enterprise grade hard drives and will wear out much more quickly anyway.

stratosean

Post by stratosean »

Thank you so much everybody! FYI, I am not planning on trying to make Dark Side of the Moon; in other words I will mainly be doing demos and topping out at maybe 24 tracks with some reverb and compression. Nothing insane. Will this computer cut it?
|2013 Gibson Les Paul Traditional|1993 Fender Korean Stratocaster|Squier Telecaster Custom|Martin D15S|Musicman Sterling Sub Bass|Roland Juno DI|QSC K12|M Audio BX5A|Fender Blues Jr

bjones306

Post by bjones306 »

stratosean wrote:Thank you so much everybody! FYI, I am not planning on trying to make Dark Side of the Moon; in other words I will mainly be doing demos and topping out at maybe 24 tracks with some reverb and compression. Nothing insane. Will this computer cut it?
An i7 based pc with 16GB of ram, would be fine for your needs. I might add another 8 gig of ram to the machine you picked just for the sake of having it. An SSD would be a nice option to place your OS and programs on, but it's not at all a necessity. It's always a good idea to keep your software on one drive and your media files on another for performance reasons, but again, not a necessity. Sorry if I missed it, but in many ways your audio interface is just as important as the pc you decide to use. What did you plan on using for your interface?
Last edited by bjones306 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cubase 10.0.10 64bit -- Windows 10 64bit -- Intel I7 Ivy bridge -- Asus Sabertooth z77 MB -- 32 gig ddr3 ram -- 2x MR816csx -- Steinberg CC121 -- GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 Video Card

stratosean

Post by stratosean »

Bjones - a Scarlett 2i2. Once again, nothing fancy, just practical with no big foreseeable concerns

bjones306

Post by bjones306 »

stratosean wrote:Bjones - a Scarlett 2i2. Once again, nothing fancy, just practical with no big foreseeable concerns
Then yeah, baring any strange issue you might run into hardware wise ( ya never know...), that system should be more than fine for your needs.
Cubase 10.0.10 64bit -- Windows 10 64bit -- Intel I7 Ivy bridge -- Asus Sabertooth z77 MB -- 32 gig ddr3 ram -- 2x MR816csx -- Steinberg CC121 -- GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 Video Card

stratosean

Post by stratosean »

Thanks!

mbr

Post by mbr »

buy SSD drives !!! they are expensive but worth it

also make sure you have fire wire and lots of PCI slots & USB3 if you want to add stuff later
Cubase 9.5 Recordings done @ 96 kHz / 64 Bit )

Win 7 64-bit SP1 ; i7 Intel @3.50 Hz ; 32 Gigs RAM
256 GB SSD OS ; 1 TB SSD for Recording ; 1 TB SSD for Sample Streaming

Soundcard - O1V96i
Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V1.9.11 Firmware V1.02 Editor V1.0

UAD-2 (OCTO) ; CMC ( FD, CH, PD, TP, AI & QC )
Many hardware synths and sample libraries ; Millennia ; Midisport 8/8 ; BIG BEN Apogee

Forum member (old forums) since 2003

"The internet is a source of infinite information; the vast majority of which happens to be wrong"

bjones306

Post by bjones306 »

For much of what he's doing this won't be necessary, but you can always add later.

vanhaze3000

Post by vanhaze3000 »

Funny, that CPU Core count hasn't been brought up in this thread.
Anxious to see some opinions about this CPU specific point to consider in your buy.
Macbook Retina 2015 * OSX Mojave 10.14 (always latest version) * UA Apollo Twin Thunderbolt * Cubase 10 Pro (latest version) * Maschine Studio2 * Novation Impulse * Lots and lots of legal plugins.

stratosean

Post by stratosean »

CPU core count is 4.

Tanant

Post by Tanant »

That machine is fine. It sounds like you won't be using many VST samplers? If so, then 8gb of RAM is more than enough. A quad core i7 is also more than plenty to run a few instances of "reverb and compression" plugins. If you are working with 16 audio tracks and a few VST instruments with a couple of basic plugins, then an i7 is actually slight overkill. But at least you'll be future proof.

The hard drive will also be able to deal with 24 tracks without a problem.

You don't need an SSD but the difference would be night and day in terms of loading times and overall 'snapiness'. They're also silent!

Oh, and the onboard graphics will not be a problem in your case.
Cubase 8.5 Pro x64 | Windows 10 | Core i7 5820k | 32GB RAM | Steinberg UR22

Patanjali

Post by Patanjali »

sycophant wrote:SSD ... will wear out much more quickly anyway.
Not likely with DAWs! Most blocks will spend their lives with the same data, occasionally getting deleted and recorded over. Likely to last for years before any blocks ever reach their 10k write limit.

Never regretted buying SSDs, even when they were twice the cost per GB. No heat, vibration nor head click/chirps, and light enough to mount anywhere. And no performance penalty due to non-optimal placement of data, because they are fully random access with no distance-dependant head seek time.
Patanjali
Comp: i7-4930K : Asus P9X79-E WS : 32GB : GTX 1050 : SSDx7 : UAD2Q : TCL 49C2US x2.
HW: YRG : uKEY2 : UR44.
SW: Dual boot Win10P : Cubase 8.0.30 Pro 64 : RX4Adv : Ozone6Adv : Goliath/SO/Pianos/Gypsy/SV : Sup.Drum 2

DreamScience

Anyone used new MacPro+Thunderbolt/Firewire converter and MR

Post by DreamScience »

I have a very important question for anyone who has the knowledge. I am a long time Cubase 5 user and originally spent hours researching to find the right chip sets to go with a an i7 and MR816CSX - fantastic results and time well spent.
Big problem now, machine has all but died (32 bit Windows XP and I have tried Windows 8 and hate it). I am going MacPro - possibly 6 or 8 core with an upgrade to Cubase 7 - massive investment and the issue around no Firewire. I have to rely on people telling me the Thunderbolt II converter to Firewire will result in no clocking or latency issues. Anyone out there got any experience with the new MacPro and Cubase 7 with MR816CSX????? Really hope someone could help before I spend a few grand - my studio is my life (sad but true). I have had fantastic quality so far but this is almost like replacing the entire set up without any real testing. :?:

sycophant

Re: Anyone used new MacPro+Thunderbolt/Firewire converter an

Post by sycophant »

DreamScience wrote:I am going MacPro - possibly 6 or 8 core with an upgrade to Cubase 7 - massive investment and the issue around no Firewire. I have to rely on people telling me the Thunderbolt II converter to Firewire will result in no clocking or latency issues.
You are better off thinking in the direction of Server Farm technology, i.e. VST System Link, that way you can keep old machines going with new and NO clocking problems.

If your studio is your life, then you need to consider both the above suggestion as well as Ethernet technologies for audio sharing.

bjones306

Post by bjones306 »

I can't help you directly with the mac pro on the issue, but I can tell you that under windows 8, running CB 7.5 with 2 mr816csx's here and everything is perfect. I would ask why you don't like windows 8? Not to debate it or anything but it can be set up to run just like your desktop did in xp, so why the urgent switch to mac?

Stefen10

Post by Stefen10 »

Surfering online,there are many things you need.

Return to “Computer/Studio Hardware & Setup”