[SOLVED] midi keyboard shows activity but Vst doesn't play!

For users of legacy Steinberg Cubase software
ZenAltarRec

[SOLVED] midi keyboard shows activity but Vst doesn't play!

Post by ZenAltarRec » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:41 pm

Hi,

Since a week a very weird behavior on C7.5: midi keyboard plays fine on standalone Vst but once I open Cubase and add a midi channel and try to play with any synth, then even if there's activity thru ( I can see it on the Transport Panel) there's nothing that plays!! That's kind of a problem here. Also the Piano Roll on any midi part doesn't plays anymore... I tried many things in the Preferences and the Devices setup but nothing!

Please help! Should I re-install Cubase then? Something was lost in the Registry maybe?

Thanks!
Cubase 10.0.10, Apollo Twin MKII, PC with ASUS X99 Mobo, Win 10 Pro loaded with 128 gig of DDR4 Ram, 4.2Ghz overclocked Core i7 6900K cpu water cooled and 3x2Tb HD's. Neumann KH 810 | KH 310 | KH 120. Komplete Kontrol Ultimate 11. Access Virus TI, Moog SUB37, Novation Peak
http://www.altar-records.com

curteye
External Moderator

Re: [ISSUE] - midi keyboard shows activity but Vst doesn't p

Post by curteye » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:48 am

Aloha Z,

I sometimes get this when using HalionSonic 2.

( keep in ming I am on a Mac here so might not be the same prob).

What I do to fix this is remove the loaded sound.

Here is the trick. (for me anyway)
I don't just 'unload' the loaded sound but I actually have to use the 'remove' feature. (the lil trash can)

Everytime I do this I hear a lil 'bump' as the VST is being removed.
Then I reload the sound and all is fine.

Hope this works for you as well.

BTW
this only seems to happen with HS2.
All my other Steiny and 3rd party VSTi's do not seem to exhibit this behavior.

Good Luck!
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac 5K 4.2Gz 16GB
MBP 3.0Gz......16GB

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

ZenAltarRec

Post by ZenAltarRec » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:52 am

Many thanks but I'm on PC and this behavior happens to any loaded Vsti, unfortunately your trick won't work.
I already tried everything I could beside removing, loading a new Vsti, etc etc... that's why I'm here
Thanks again!
Cubase 10.0.10, Apollo Twin MKII, PC with ASUS X99 Mobo, Win 10 Pro loaded with 128 gig of DDR4 Ram, 4.2Ghz overclocked Core i7 6900K cpu water cooled and 3x2Tb HD's. Neumann KH 810 | KH 310 | KH 120. Komplete Kontrol Ultimate 11. Access Virus TI, Moog SUB37, Novation Peak

Grim
Grand Senior Member

Post by Grim » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:16 pm

Is Cubase playing audio ok?

Do you have the correct interface driver selected

Do you hear the vsti if you play it's built in keyboard?

Do you have the correct stereo output assigned in vst connections?
i7 5820k @3.7Ghz, 16Gb, W10Pro, Cubase 9.0x, Cubase 8.5.x, Audient iD22, Zoom UAC-2, Wavelab Elements 9.x, Nektar Impact GX61

ZenAltarRec

Post by ZenAltarRec » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:03 pm

Grim wrote:Is Cubase playing audio ok? Yes it does

Do you have the correct interface driver selected Yes I do

Do you hear the vsti if you play it's built in keyboard? Yes it does! Actually that's why this is so weird. Also Cubase piano roll doesn't play in the Midi window when I try to click on it with my mouse neither the built-in virtual keyboard works with the mouse or the keyboard!

Do you have the correct stereo output assigned in vst connections? Yes I do, everything correct
Many thanks!

vic_france
Grand Senior Member

Post by vic_france » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:12 pm

Amongst the excellent troubleshooting questions that Grim posted, there's one more ;)..
Even though you don't hear anything while playing, can you record onto a MIDI/Instrument track, and do you hear it play back o.k. after recording ? (If that is the case, seems you have simply disabled MIDI Thru ;) )
Mac Pro Quad-Core (2009) 2.66 GHz | 16GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3|MOTU Midi Timepiece AV | Mac OS X 10.9.5 | Cubase 9.5.0| Logic Pro X 10.2.2| ProTools 11.3.1| Ableton Live 9.7.5| Reaper 562 | Studio One Pro 3.5.1

ZenAltarRec

Post by ZenAltarRec » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:41 pm

Thanks for this ! Your question gave me the idea to reset the 'Preferences' even tho I had one setup saved the way I like. I then have had the recording from my Midi keyboard working. I have then went back again to the Prefs. and checked Midi Thru ( I have to say that it was checked before, when the problem was already there )...and Bam! Its all working again 8-)
So I believe there was a problem in the Prefs. I have made and saved in the past, but I have no clue which one or why because the Midi Thru was always checked all the time. anyway..

Return to “Older Cubase versions”