Best DAW poll

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
bigboi

Best DAW poll

Post by bigboi » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:13 am

Just thought I'd pass this along. This poll is popular in the Sonar forum for some reason. Let's bump Cubase on up a bit.
http://www.onoise.com/whats-your-favorite-daw/

Indigo

Re: Best DAW poll

Post by Indigo » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:25 am

I'm not going to be a fanboy for Steinberg. Or any other company. Fanboyism is one of the stupidest things in our modern society. Corporations don't deserve to be worshiped.

Besides, popularity contests mean nothing. I'm pretty sure that millions of people would pick someone like Justin Bieber or Taylor Swift as the "best singer in the world." Does it mean these two are actually the world's best singers? Or maybe that an incredible number of people on this planet are unbelievably stupid?
Main system: i7 4770k, 32gb RAM, 512 gb SSD (OS), 1 tb SSD (audio), 3x 3tb SATA III 7200-rpm drives (samples), 3x 3tb USB 3.0 (backup/general storage), nVidia GTX 780 ti (3 monitors), Antec Sonata III case, Win 8.1 Pro, RME UFX audio interface.

curteye
External Moderator

Post by curteye » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:01 pm

Indigo wrote:Or maybe that an incredible number of people on this planet are unbelievably stupid?
That's me! 'Baby baby.........'!
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac i7 2.8Gz 16GB-10.10x...../C5.5/6.5/7.5/CP8
MBP 3.0Gz......16GB-10.10x.../CP8

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

iBM

Post by iBM » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:17 pm

curteye wrote:
Indigo wrote:Or maybe that an incredible number of people on this planet are unbelievably stupid?
{'-'}
Hit me one more time........................ Was that stupid enough :?

PS I wonder how the poll went if the poll was a, Best DAW for me poll?
TSR - Now a division under The Tower Studio Suite - Run by my uncles nephew

Win7/Win8 x64 | Intel i5 2500/3570K | 16 GB RAM | MOTU PCIe-424 w/ 24io x 2 / 2408 / 308
Cubase 6.5/7.5 - Nuendo 5.5 | CC121 | Slate Digital | Softube | Sonnox | SoundToys |
Eventide | Exponential Audio | Boz' Digital Lab | +++
Dynaudio BM15A | Focusrite ISA430 | Universal Audio LA-610SE/2-610/8110 |
TLAudio 5052/C1/PA-1 | TC Electronics R4000/M3000/M-One/D-Two | +++

silhouette

Post by silhouette » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:56 pm

Indigo wrote:I'm not going to be a fanboy for Steinberg. Or any other company. Fanboyism is one of the stupidest things in our modern society. Corporations don't deserve to be worshiped.

Besides, popularity contests mean nothing. I'm pretty sure that millions of people would pick someone like Justin Bieber or Taylor Swift as the "best singer in the world." Does it mean these two are actually the world's best singers? Or maybe that an incredible number of people on this planet are unbelievably stupid?
Perhaps it is stupid to think that you can't appreciate Cubase's good points without being a "fanboy", although I for one would not use such a simplistic term. A term that implies uncritical devotion. Many of us here are critical of many things to do with Steinberg. However, we stick with Cubase because we recognise that it is probably the best DAW out there. Having used Logic I know which one I prefer.
If you are part of the whiny faction, fine, but don't expect your attitude to go unchallenged.
Intel core i7 5960X CPU 3.0 GHz 64bit 32 gig RAM - Windows 8.1 - AMD RadeonHD 7700 - RME Fireface UC - Cubase 8.5.20/9.0.1 - UAD Solo + Duo + Quad - Nektar Panorama P1 - Komplete 10 - All uhe - Adam AX7 + Adam Sub 8 - BFD3 - Alchemy - PSP - FabFilter - Fender Telecaster- Wudtone Strat - Gibson L4, 335,330L,175 -Ibanez PM100 - Musicman Silhouette - Warwick Thumb Bass - Kemper Profiling Amp -https://soundcloud.com/silhouette-17

peakae
Grand Senior Member

Post by peakae » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:10 pm

Haha nice poll, just hit reload and you can vote as many times as you like. Pretty useless.
Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Elements 9, I7 3770K , win10x64, 16Gb Ram, RME Raydat, Steinberg MR816x, Motu 828mkII, Behringer ADA8200, Yamaha moXF6, Steinberg UR242, Yamaha THR 10, Grace Design m900, CMC TP, CMC CH.

Indigo

Post by Indigo » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:21 pm

silhouette wrote: If you are part of the whiny faction, fine, but don't expect your attitude to go unchallenged.
So, basically anyone who complains about anything here is a "whiner." Got it. Anyone with a critical attitude should be squashed, tarred and feathered and finally banned. Yeah, that has nothing whatsoever to do with fanboysm... ;)
we stick with Cubase because we recognise that it is probably the best DAW out there.
I know it's the best FOR ME. But that doesn't mean it's the best for everyone. So, I'm not going in a public place and make fun of anyone who uses a different DAW, or try to convince everyone to adopt Cubase. Yeah, that would totally be fanboysm...
Main system: i7 4770k, 32gb RAM, 512 gb SSD (OS), 1 tb SSD (audio), 3x 3tb SATA III 7200-rpm drives (samples), 3x 3tb USB 3.0 (backup/general storage), nVidia GTX 780 ti (3 monitors), Antec Sonata III case, Win 8.1 Pro, RME UFX audio interface.

plectrumboy

Post by plectrumboy » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:50 pm

Sorry to be off topic but....

How do you make your (or your dog's) ears stick out like that? Brilliant.

Steve.
Scan 3XS desktop i7 5820 @ 4.0 Ghz on Asus x99 Pro 32Gb running Windows 10 pro with Thunderbolt card; MacBook Pro, 2x UR824, UAD Apollo Twin Mk II Quad; Icon Qcon Pro X, Cubase 10 (most recent), Jamstix 4, The Grand 3, HSO, Wavelab 9.5, Halion 6, BFD3, NI Studio Drummer, Session Horns Pro, Mark 1, Groove Agent 4, Stylus RMX, Trillian, VST Connect Pro.

Indigo

Post by Indigo » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:07 pm

plectrumboy wrote:Sorry to be off topic but....

How do you make your (or your dog's) ears stick out like that? Brilliant.

Steve.
No idea, just came across that photo on Google and I thought it was cute. Not my dog and certainly not me... :D

I suppose a mild adhesive and clear fishing line would work...

tex

Post by tex » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:16 pm

ye them are big ears! straight up!

Poll:
best cubase version?
i7 12GB, pc w10. Mark of The Unicorn-MK3 Ultra, Cubase 8.5.20, Wavelab elements 9.

silhouette

Post by silhouette » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:19 am

Indigo wrote:
silhouette wrote: If you are part of the whiny faction, fine, but don't expect your attitude to go unchallenged.
So, basically anyone who complains about anything here is a "whiner." Got it. Anyone with a critical attitude should be squashed, tarred and feathered and finally banned. Yeah, that has nothing whatsoever to do with fanboysm... ;)
we stick with Cubase because we recognise that it is probably the best DAW out there.
I know it's the best FOR ME. But that doesn't mean it's the best for everyone. So, I'm not going in a public place and make fun of anyone who uses a different DAW, or try to convince everyone to adopt Cubase. Yeah, that would totally be fanboysm...
Boy, you do seem to be one for extreme reactions. Silly me, I guess you feel that you are above criticism. Fine, if you think that I am tarring and feathering you.
Banning? Where did that come from? A very paranoid mind indeed. Rational discussion is obviously not your thing. Perhaps you need to calm down and adopt a more rational approach. It might be an idea to focus on the things that have actually been mentioned in the discussion rather than introducing random elements.
It is very tedious discussing anything with someone who takes things so personally. Clearly some perspective is needed.
Intel core i7 5960X CPU 3.0 GHz 64bit 32 gig RAM - Windows 8.1 - AMD RadeonHD 7700 - RME Fireface UC - Cubase 8.5.20/9.0.1 - UAD Solo + Duo + Quad - Nektar Panorama P1 - Komplete 10 - All uhe - Adam AX7 + Adam Sub 8 - BFD3 - Alchemy - PSP - FabFilter - Fender Telecaster- Wudtone Strat - Gibson L4, 335,330L,175 -Ibanez PM100 - Musicman Silhouette - Warwick Thumb Bass - Kemper Profiling Amp -https://soundcloud.com/silhouette-17

curteye
External Moderator

Post by curteye » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:45 am

silhouette wrote:Clearly some perspective is needed.
Agreed!

But
unbelievably stupid?
C'mon.
{'-'}
If yer gear ain't breakin down, you aint workin' much.

iMac i7 2.8Gz 16GB-10.10x...../C5.5/6.5/7.5/CP8
MBP 3.0Gz......16GB-10.10x.../CP8

On the side of a volcano in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

Indigo

Post by Indigo » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:06 am

silhouette wrote:Fine, if you think that I am tarring and feathering you.
Gee, I wonder if I lobbed all of this in your direction what you would think:

"you are part of the whiny faction"
"A very paranoid mind indeed"
"Rational discussion is obviously not your thing."
It might be an idea to focus on the things that have actually been mentioned in the discussion
You mean like the gratuitous insults above you threw at me just because you perceive me as an "enemy" of Steinberg for refusing to shill for them?

Boy, you couldn't prove my point in a better way. :lol:

Scab Pickens

Post by Scab Pickens » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:32 am

Sensitive artists ... :D

iBM

Post by iBM » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:27 am

Scab Pickens wrote:Sensitive artists ... :D
And Dirtbag producers ... :mrgreen:

Win7/Win8 x64 | Intel i5 2500/3570K | 16 GB RAM | MOTU PCIe-424 w/ 24io x 2 / 2408 / 308
Cubase 6.5/7.5 - Nuendo 5.5 | CC121 | Slate Digital | Softube | Sonnox | SoundToys |

SYNC

Post by SYNC » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:14 pm

Oh brother :roll:

It's funny how while some drop to their knee's for Steinberg and willing to swallow every last drop, others are more likely to spit :mrgreen:

Maybe we should start a new poll (or is that POLE) entitled "Steinberg, spit or swallow" :mrgreen:

We already know at least one swallower here :lol:

swamptone

Post by swamptone » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:33 pm

curteye wrote:
{'-'}

I find that completely unbelievable! Even my considerably practiced disbelief can't believe it!
formerly known as prism

Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member

Post by Centralmusic » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:54 pm

tex wrote:
Poll:
best cubase version?
Nuendo.
!!! NOTE: This is a user forum. It's from users to users. This is not a technical support forum. Therefore sometime some Steinberg employees appear here and help the users. !!!
"Do you already know the manual?"
Kennst du schon das Handbuch?"

SYNC

Post by SYNC » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:01 pm

Belief's can never be trusted, however a disbelief leaves the door open to be proven otherwise...generally speaking of course. Also, a believer is far more likely to swallow...and I mean bucket loads. A disbeliever on the other hand, well, never swallows...tastes maybe. But then again, a believer may be more likely to stay loyal to that belief, wrong or wrong, good or bad. A disbeliever is more likely to jump ship and bail out on loyalty for a 'better thing'. Not completely true in all cases of course, as generally the disbeliever crowd sticks to what they know best rather to jump ship for the greener grass on the other side :geek:

Indigo

Post by Indigo » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:27 pm

SYNC wrote:Belief's can never be trusted, however a disbelief leaves the door open to be proven otherwise...generally speaking of course. Also, a believer is far more likely to swallow...and I mean bucket loads. A disbeliever on the other hand, well, never swallows...tastes maybe. But then again, a believer may be more likely to stay loyal to that belief, wrong or wrong, good or bad. A disbeliever is more likely to jump ship and bail out on loyalty for a 'better thing'. Not completely true in all cases of course, as generally the disbeliever crowd sticks to what they know best rather to jump ship for the greener grass on the other side :geek:
I've always considered computers, music hardware and software as tools and nothing more than that. I use what I believe to be the best for what I do (and yeah, cost-effectiveness is definitely part of the equation...), but I have absolutely no loyalty to any corporation. If tomorrow another company introduced a DAW better than Cubase in every way (from my perspective, obviously), I'd have no hesitation whatsoever to switch over. If that makes me a "whiner" in the eyes of those who worship at the altar of Steinberg, so be it. I really couldn't care less.

monsterjazzlicks

Post by monsterjazzlicks » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:58 am

Was that it?! Just ONE question?! lol

Cubase is on 12% with ProTools leasing at 31%.
Fender Rhodes Suitcase, Fender Rhodes Stage, Hohner E7 Clavinet, Mini Moog Model D, Multi Moog, Yamaha DX7 (Mk1) & DX21, Korg Poly 61, Roland Juno 6.

Mackie SRM 350 (pair), Fender DeVille, Yamaha HS7 (pair), BeyerDynamic DT880 Headphones, Pro (250 Ohm).

Sibelius 7, Cubase Artist 8, HALion Sonic SE , HALion Sonic 2, HALion 5, Grand SE, Grand 3, Groove Agent 3, Arturia V_Collection, EZ2 Drummer, Steinberg CI2+ Interface, Lexicon MX300, Midi Sport 2x2.

Dell Inspiron 3737, Windows 10 Professional, 1.70gHz, 16GB RAM, 64-bit, Intel Core i3.

silhouette

Post by silhouette » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:26 am

Indigo wrote:
SYNC wrote:Belief's can never be trusted, however a disbelief leaves the door open to be proven otherwise...generally speaking of course. Also, a believer is far more likely to swallow...and I mean bucket loads. A disbeliever on the other hand, well, never swallows...tastes maybe. But then again, a believer may be more likely to stay loyal to that belief, wrong or wrong, good or bad. A disbeliever is more likely to jump ship and bail out on loyalty for a 'better thing'. Not completely true in all cases of course, as generally the disbeliever crowd sticks to what they know best rather to jump ship for the greener grass on the other side :geek:
I've always considered computers, music hardware and software as tools and nothing more than that. I use what I believe to be the best for what I do (and yeah, cost-effectiveness is definitely part of the equation...), but I have absolutely no loyalty to any corporation. If tomorrow another company introduced a DAW better than Cubase in every way (from my perspective, obviously), I'd have no hesitation whatsoever to switch over. If that makes me a "whiner" in the eyes of those who worship at the altar of Steinberg, so be it. I really couldn't care less.
Actually continuity is one of the most important things for the recording musician. Knowing that your projects won't become obsolete as the software you have been using has been discontinued and is no longer supported. Probably owing to users moving on to the next shiny thing.
DAWs are a very small part of the software business. Steinberg was rescued by Yamaha. What happens if they make a strategic decision tn drop Steinberg? You are right that it is all about the bottom line. You can see how Apple is dumbing down Logic to make it more compatible with Garage Band.
My problem with Steinberg is that they are too busy with the new bells and whistles before resolving the problems that are annoying many users.
Some of us have got a lot invested in this software which makes it difficult to cut and run. Often a large number of complicated projects. Anyway, even if we wanted to where would we go?
What annoyed me about your original statement was your use of the word fanboy without, apparently, showing some understanding of the subtler realities that face us users.
If you weigh in with strong opinions don't be surprised if you get strong opinions thrown back at you.

Indigo

Post by Indigo » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:28 am

silhouette wrote: What annoyed me about your original statement was your use of the word fanboy without, apparently, showing some understanding of the subtler realities that face us users.
Are you done with the insults? I've used Cubase since it was called Cubit on the Atari. Almost 30 years ago. I don't believe you're in any position to lecture me, kid. But I've also used other DAW's. And no, it doesn't take much to switch from one to another, since they're all very similar (you, of course, wouldn't know, since you've sworn complete allegiance to just one.) I've also switched from Atari to Mac and then finally to Windows in 2007. None of those changes was ever "traumatic" in any shape or form. When Sonar became the first 64-bit DAW in the world, I stopped using Cubase, dumped my Mac (no Sonar for Mac and it would take years for Apple to catch up and release a 64-bit OSX) and built my first Win machine, because I fully understood how important 64-bit was for me as a film/TV/theater/ballet composer. All the while, I had to endure the Apple fanboys calling me a "traitor" and continuously telling me that 64-bit was useless and it wouldn't go anywhere. Needless to say, as soon as Apple released their 64-bit OS, it suddenly became indispensable and super-cool. Like big phones after the release of the iPhone 6, and that's after taking jabs at my Samsung Note for years: "is that a flat screen TV or a phone?" Ha ha, who's laughing now, fanboys? Incidentally, how ironic is that now suddenly 64-bit is allegedly of paramount importance in a phone, even if there are no 64-bit apps and the iPhone only has 1 gig of RAM...

Anyhow, it took Cubase two years to catch up to 64-bit. Meanwhile I was pioneering huge orchestral templates that later so many people copied from me, including the Apple fanboys who were telling me how useless a 64-bit DAW was. Then when Cakewalk released the ridiculously-buggy Sonar X1 and Cubase was at finally full-64-bit version 6, I switched back. Once again, no stress, no issues, no problem. That's pretty normal when you have no emotional attachment to gear and the companies that produce it. You simply can't understand that a person doesn't necessarily need the emotional attachment you have for your gear, and that's why you reacted to my words with senseless insults. Just like the Apple fanboys when I switched to Windows.

In other words, if Cubase suddenly disappears, you might be screwed, but I would quickly adapt, like I've always done. Don't assume everyone is just like you.

iBM

Post by iBM » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:37 am

silhouette wrote:
Indigo wrote:
Actually continuity is one of the most important things for the recording musician. Knowing that your projects won't become obsolete as the software you have been using has been discontinued and is no longer supported. Probably owing to users moving on to the next shiny thing.
DAWs are a very small part of the software business. Steinberg was rescued by Yamaha. What happens if they make a strategic decision tn drop Steinberg? You are right that it is all about the bottom line. You can see how Apple is dumbing down Logic to make it more compatible with Garage Band.
My problem with Steinberg is that they are too busy with the new bells and whistles before resolving the problems that are annoying many users.
Some of us have got a lot invested in this software which makes it difficult to cut and run. Often a large number of complicated projects. Anyway, even if we wanted to where would we go?
What annoyed me about your original statement was your use of the word fanboy without, apparently, showing some understanding of the subtler realities that face us users.
If you weigh in with strong opinions don't be surprised if you get strong opinions thrown back at you.
I happen to agree woth both of you, Indigo and silhouette.
Tools and continuity, YES. Corporate *hat stand*, NO (even though some sort of loyalty are needed) ;)

How did the poll end? :mrgreen:

silhouette

Post by silhouette » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:37 pm

Indigo wrote:
silhouette wrote: What annoyed me about your original statement was your use of the word fanboy without, apparently, showing some understanding of the subtler realities that face us users.
Are you done with the insults? I've used Cubase since it was called Cubit on the Atari. Almost 30 years ago. I don't believe you're in any position to lecture me, kid.

In other words, if Cubase suddenly disappears, you might be screwed, but I would quickly adapt, like I've always done. Don't assume everyone is just like you.
Hell! There was me thinking God was kind of humble. By the way less of the kid - flattering as that might be for a 61 year old bloke. Who by the way started with an Atari in the 80's.
I think I will end the conversation here, as you are clearly beyond any point of rational contact. By all means continue to change the known universe. Personally I think you should have stopped after day 7.

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”