MONO Button on Master Fader

All feature requests and suggestions for upcoming releases of Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 can be posted here.
Dewi32

MONO Button on Master Fader

Post by Dewi32 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:43 pm

This is a feature I found REALLY useful in Studio One. Basically just a toggable mono button on the master fader to quickly check mono compatibility. At the moment I am having to open a insert on the master to check, which by the time you have opened/edited/closed way too much mouseclicks than required. It would be also really handy to have the same button situated in the transport panel also. this would make checking mono compatibility a breeze from the arrangement page. even better with a shortcut assigned :D

I believe it is possible to monitor in mono in the control room but for many people the control room is not a requirement and It would be really nice to have it on the master out.

A very simple but very effective improvement imo

Invincibear

Re: MONO Button on Master Fader

Post by Invincibear » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:33 pm

It's handy, I currently leave a copy of stereo enhancer with the mono button checked on my master bus. Would love to reclaim that insert slot though.

Dewi32

Post by Dewi32 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:35 pm

Yeah im using Brainworx Solo on there to do the same job but the stereo enhancer is a good call, i didn't think of it at the time. It's not so much the insert slot that bothers me, its the fact that you need to click to open the insert/ click mono/ unclick mono/ click to close it and so on.

if there were a simple toggable button on the stereo out fader and transport bar then it would be so much slicker. especially with a shortcut!

BriHar

Post by BriHar » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:06 pm

So what are your reasons for not using the Control Room feature - which would make this all a non-issue?

For a long time I figured I didn't need the CR, that it was primarily geared toward large professional studios. I've since changed my mind and find it one of Cubase's best features - even though my HW interface will perform a lot of the functions of the CR, I still use it in nearly every project.

You probably won't need every feature, nor might you need every type of output on tap, I don't. Add the fact that with presets you can completely reconfigure the entire virtual control room and tailor it to your needs. A preset for recording yourself, another artist, multiple artists, standard mixing, multichannel (surround) mixing.

Take the time to wrap your head around it. It'll be time well spent. It just makes so many things so much simpler.
;)
"...yes I think it can be easily done, just take everything down to Highway 61."

Sun Point Studio Turbenthal, Switzerland

Cubase Pro 8.5.15 - 64bit | Cubase AI8 | WaveLab 9.0.10 - 64bit | PT10 | UR28M | UR44 | CMC-PD/4xFD/QC/AI/CH/TP | BCF2000 | Contour Shuttlexpress | Graphire Tablet | Cubendo Custom Keyboard | Lenovo E31 Workstation:Xeon E3-1225V2/3.2GHz; 14GB DDR3 SDRAM; 2x Intel-Flash520 SSD 180GB (C:/D:);1TB 7200rpm Sata3 (F:); DVD RW (E:); Ext. 3TB USB3 Freecom + WD 1TB; Nvidea GeForce GT 630 4GB DDR3 Video Ram AGP PCIE | Win 10 Pro 64 Bit

mpayne0

Post by mpayne0 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:47 pm

Control Room will change your life.

Please at least give it a shot.

jono not bono

Post by jono not bono » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:10 am

Just wondering what are the benefits of using Control Room if you already have Near Zero latency Monitoring via an interface, for example, Motu's Cuemix?
Please make me stop buying stuff.

Dewi32

Post by Dewi32 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:50 am

I'm producing electronic music which is almost exclusively ITB apart from A Virus. Personally, For me there is very little benefit from the Control Room. I absolutely do not doubt that it's great for anyone recording via multiple inputs though.

Real estate is another reason. A tiny icon does not take up a large chunk of my screen :)
Control Room also needs to be configured so that auditioning in media bay will still work (not much of a problem I know)

I actually noticed a Massive amount of people had already been asking for this after I posted So it seems i'm not alone in what I believe to be a common sense addition :D

BriHar

Post by BriHar » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:47 pm

The Control room is not just for recording sessions, but gives total control over monitoring allowing not only control of multiple monitor configurations but also offering alternative plugin configurations for a single monitoing pair.
Cubase is a very powerful tool, but if you aren't prepared to invest a little time in investigating it's potential - well that's just your loss...

Regarding screen real estate, do you know you can turn the control room window off and use a keycommand to select the mono preset?

Another alternative if you're dead set against the CR:
On your Stereo out bus, change the standard Stereo Balance Panner to a Stereo Combined Panner. When you want mono simply pan full to either Left or Right and you will have Mono. Not only is it mono but it only comes out of one speaker as a true mono source should.
;)
"...yes I think it can be easily done, just take everything down to Highway 61."

Cubase Pro 8.5.15 - 64bit | Cubase AI8 | WaveLab 9.0.10 - 64bit | PT10 | UR28M | UR44 | CMC-PD/4xFD/QC/AI/CH/TP | BCF2000 | Contour Shuttlexpress | Graphire Tablet | Cubendo Custom Keyboard | Lenovo E31 Workstation:Xeon E3-1225V2/3.2GHz; 14GB DDR3 SDRAM; 2x Intel-Flash520 SSD 180GB (C:/D:);1TB 7200rpm Sata3 (F:); DVD RW (E:); Ext. 3TB USB3 Freecom + WD 1TB; Nvidea GeForce GT 630 4GB DDR3 Video Ram AGP PCIE | Win 10 Pro 64 Bit

Dewi32

Post by Dewi32 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:34 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. some valid points but I think it would just be much easier to have a singe button on the master fader/transport panel. I understand that the Control Room is awesome for you but I don't think anyone would disagree that putting two SIMPLE buttons wouldn't be a improvement. Hence my suggestion :)
trnsprt.JPG
(17.95 KiB) Not downloaded yet
mstr.JPG
(11.89 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Greg Houston

Post by Greg Houston » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:55 am

+1
Image i7 3.4G Quad-Core, 16Gb, Win 10

MHoughton

Post by MHoughton » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:46 pm

Plus option to configure to send mono to left or right speaker only (at same perceived level as stereo/dual mono) please.

squidcluster

Post by squidcluster » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:50 pm

I'd be curious to know if most or all of who is voting for the addition of a mono button on the master fader has ever even tried using the Control Room. I hate to be a stickler here, but if you want any kind of control over your monitoring, anything that is more powerful and feature filled than your standard stereo output bus (this includes being able to monitor in stereo and mono via a stereo/mono switch)... then look no further.

Yes Control Room takes up real-estate in the mixer window, but not that much. I rarely ever use my inputs, I don't use the cue mixes, I only use one stereo output bus for my monitoring and so don't actually get to use the speaker switcher, but yet I still find the Control Room invaluable. The metering capabilities alone are worth the real-estate. Of all the potential functions and features that Steinberg should work on, adding a mono button on the master fader would be on the bottom of my list because its already a feature if you are using Cubase to its fullest.

That being said, It's probably not that much work for them to actually implement this feature.
>>>http://www.vintiquesound.com<<< Cubase 10 | Abelton Live 10 Lite | Bitwig Studio 3 | Antelope Audio Zen Studio | Yamaha DX7 | Roland MKS-50 | Akai S3000XL | Yamaha M406 analog mixer | Yamaha MQ1602 analog mixer | Yamaha R1000 Digital Reverb | 2x Boss DE-200 Digital Delay | CMC-TP/CH/PD | NI Komplete Kontrol S25 | 2x Yamaha HS-5 | Mackie MR10S-mk3 | Focal Spirit Professional Headphones | Windows 10 64-bit | Asus Z87 Sabertooth | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 3.5GHz | 16 GB Ram DDR3 SDRAM | Intel 223GB SSD for OS | Three HDD for storage | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 graphics card | Dual monitors at 1080p

ErikG

Post by ErikG » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:34 pm

No its probably rather easy, but I'm 99% sure they won't.
It's a monitoring solution, and all other monitoring solutions are in the control room section, just as it should be...

I agree with those above that suggest you try to learn the control room, it will make your life easier and when you realise it's power, you may just feel a bit silly for not trying to putting it into your workflow earlier.

It's like havin a SSL console, and patching the master mix output to your speakers and ignoring the monitor section.
Although the Nuendo control room is much more powerful in every way.
Filmlance, a Swedish production company producing drama and feature films.
11xNuendo, 5xPT
Dubstage with 4k Christie projection
8xMedia Composer, VFX, online, grading and more

BriHar

Post by BriHar » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:02 am

squidcluster wrote:The metering capabilities alone are worth the real-estate.
I might point out the metering can still be used when the CR is disabled - but as you say it would take up the same real estate, so I guess it's also a miss for some.
I don't understand why you'd get a full Cubase Pro and only use a small percentage of it's potential, might as well have saved some money and bought Elements or Artist, or just use the free AI.

Dewi32

Post by Dewi32 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:40 am

BriHar wrote:
squidcluster wrote:The metering capabilities alone are worth the real-estate.
I might point out the metering can still be used when the CR is disabled - but as you say it would take up the same real estate, so I guess it's also a miss for some.
I don't understand why you'd get a full Cubase Pro and only use a small percentage of it's potential, might as well have saved some money and bought Elements or Artist, or just use the free AI.
I use pretty much everything apart from Control Room. Control Room is not the only exclusive feature of "Pro". Perhaps you should look at the comparison chart.

As powerful as control room is...Its totally not required and a little bit over the top for quick mono compatibility checks. There are much easier/better methods . I also notice its the same names rejecting most suggestions in this forum lol!! In the name of Evolution and Improvement, thank god you don't work for steinberg!!! Over and out :)

ErikG

Post by ErikG » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:23 am

I dont really get it.
Activating the control room and routing it to your speaker outputs and assigning a keycommands to the mono switch and you are done.
You don't have to use any other feature if you choose not to.

Why on earth do you think steinberg would add extra monitor features to output channels just because you just can't be bothered when it has existed for years already?

Personally I wouldn't really mind if they did implement it, I would definetly never use it, but that's not relevant. I just can't see a single good reason to implement it.

And by the way there are no master faders in Cubendo as such. They are output faders and with the feature implemented that would mean that you might accidentally change outputs into mono that are not just you monitor path.

What would your clients say if your mix minus vocals where in mono...
Filmlance, a Swedish production company producing drama and feature films.
11xNuendo, 5xPT
Dubstage with 4k Christie projection
8xMedia Composer, VFX, online, grading and more

BriHar

Post by BriHar » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:47 am

ErikG touched on an important concept there. The Control Room isolates one from altering the settings and gain structure of the Output Channel, which is the channel used for mixdown.
See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_4NgjlAxH4 about 3:25

The reason I disagree with your suggestion is simple. The function does not belong there.
It's a monitoring function.

Right now you want Mono, next you'll want the Dim and Listen functions implemented, and then you'll want AFL/PFL - all integrated into the "master" fader - they don't belong there - simple as that.

Use an external monitor controller - the Bigknob (among many others) has this function, or use the Control Room, but don't expect them to bastardize the output faders just because you don't want to do things properly.

squidcluster

Post by squidcluster » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:40 am

BriHar wrote:ErikG touched on an important concept there. The Control Room isolates one from altering the settings and gain structure of the Output Channel, which is the channel used for mixdown.
Actually yeah, this is a very good reason not to implement such a feature. The whole point of having a mono compatibility button, as such, is to simply monitor your mix in mono without actually altering the mixdown (exactly what the Control Room offers), the point is not to sum your stereo channels into a mono source that will alter the mixdown, which is what a stereo/mono button on the master fader would do.
>>>http://www.vintiquesound.com<<< Cubase 10 | Abelton Live 10 Lite | Bitwig Studio 3 | Antelope Audio Zen Studio | Yamaha DX7 | Roland MKS-50 | Akai S3000XL | Yamaha M406 analog mixer | Yamaha MQ1602 analog mixer | Yamaha R1000 Digital Reverb | 2x Boss DE-200 Digital Delay | CMC-TP/CH/PD | NI Komplete Kontrol S25 | 2x Yamaha HS-5 | Mackie MR10S-mk3 | Focal Spirit Professional Headphones | Windows 10 64-bit | Asus Z87 Sabertooth | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 3.5GHz | 16 GB Ram DDR3 SDRAM | Intel 223GB SSD for OS | Three HDD for storage | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 graphics card | Dual monitors at 1080p

Prock
Grand Senior Member

Post by Prock » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:47 pm

+1 again for a mono button on the master fader. I do use the control room but not for every project.

Regards 8-)
PRock Studio

DAW: Cubase Pro 10.5, OS: Win 10 Pro x64, CPU: Intel Core i7 4700K @ 4.0GHz, RAM: 32GB/DDR4/2800MHz, Graphics: 4GB GeForce GTX 960, Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon, AI: PreSonus Studio 192 Mobile, Mic Preamp: PreSonus TubePre, Headphone Amp: PreSonus HP4, Studio Monitors: Mackie MR5, 3rd Party VSTs: GSi VB3-II, SampleTank 3, Amplitube 4, Miroslav Philharmonik 2, EZDrummer 2

https://soundcloud.com/prockstudio

jono not bono

Post by jono not bono » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:56 pm

On my analogue Allen and Heath 24 Channel Mixing Desk, the Master Section does actually have a Mono button and a Mono Master Fader (as well as a Stereo Master Fader - obviously). Pretty standard for a real desk. Therefore I don't think requesting a Mono Button on the Virtual Master Fader of a DAW is such a tall order.
Please make me stop buying stuff.

BriHar

Post by BriHar » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:54 pm

It would make sense to have this facility on an analog console when mixing live sound for a venue. My analog also has a Mono fader, but it is separate from the master stereo fader, and has a separate output, distinct from the stereo mains (allowing for a third channel feed to a subwoofer array for example).
Regardless, Mixing specifically for mono in a DAW is done differently, when done properly, and is something other than toggling mono for compatibility checks (or phase checks) which was the original reason for this request.

Anyway, you've made a request and that's your perogative. I among others don't agree with it, and that's our perogative.
That's what the forum is about.

Jorge Ruiz

Post by Jorge Ruiz » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:16 am

Control Room is really nice. One of those features that, once you start using it, you can't believe how you didn't discover before. And you have also insert slots for each physical output, so you can load all your analyzers and measuring tools right there, instead of cluttering the master out. Also, for the mono button (and much more), I'd recommend the free A1 Stereo Control plugin:

http://a1audio.de/index.php/a1stereocontrol
PC i7 5960x 8 cores @ 4.2Ghz (Hyper-Threading off) | 16 GB RAM | MSI X99A SLI Plus | Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB | RME HDSPe RayDAT | Focusrite Clarett OctoPre | Behringer ADA8200 | Steinberg CC121 | Windows 10 Pro 64 bits | Cubase Pro 10.5 | WaveLab Elements 9.5 | Komplete 12 | Waves | Soundtoys | Alesis QuadraSynth | Oberheim Matrix 1000 | IK UNO Synth | Korg TR-Rack | Alesis S4 Plus | Zoom 9010 | Roland GP-8

mpayne0

Post by mpayne0 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:53 pm

I remember I used to be stubborn about learning Control Room too.

How silly I felt.

I never thought I would need that thing. It has improved every thing I do now from a monitoring perspective. The main feature for me though, is that I can run limiters, spectrums, VU meters, Limiters, Ozone and other things, just to listen in context, without running anything on my actual stereo buss. And that chain is retained for every song. Consistency.

vespesian

Post by vespesian » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:56 pm

mpayne0 wrote:I remember I used to be stubborn about learning Control Room too.

How silly I felt.

I never thought I would need that thing. It has improved every thing I do now from a monitoring perspective. The main feature for me though, is that I can run limiters, spectrums, VU meters, Limiters, Ozone and other things, just to listen in context, without running anything on my actual stereo buss. And that chain is retained for every song. Consistency.

+ this.

MHoughton

Post by MHoughton » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:14 pm

Control room *can* be useful. But it can also be fiddly and unnecessary if already using eg Totalmix. What harm could there be in having a dedicated mono button available for all stereo tracks? Unless you're not bothering to listen to what you are doing!

Return to “Feature Requests and Suggestions”