Recording windows system application output (i.e. Skype)

All about our Cubase LE and Cubase AI OEM bundle software.
020shc

Recording windows system application output (i.e. Skype)

Post by 020shc » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:58 pm

I have Cubase LE 7 and use it successfully and simply as a Midi input for some Yamaha drums and for Mic input. Works great.
Now, I am trying to take sound generated on the same machine and send it into Cubase for real time recording and mixing - think of an interview situation where one voice is on Slype, the other on the live mic. I can't figure out how to set up a bus to "bridge" skype into Cubase on the same machine.

I see some stuff in the forums about cabling out of the Windows box into an external mixer and back into Cubase. Is that really the only way?

Thanks in advance

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Re: Recording windows system application output (i.e. Skype)

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:39 pm

Hi and welcome,

I'm not on Windows, but you will need some "Virtual Audio Cable" application to be able to route the signal. If the 2nd software doesn't support ReWire. If does, then you can use ReWire.
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

fretthefret

Re: Recording windows system application output (i.e. Skype)

Post by fretthefret » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:55 pm

Martin.Jirsak wrote:Hi and welcome,

I'm not on Windows, but you will need some "Virtual Audio Cable" application to be able to route the signal. If the 2nd software doesn't support ReWire. If does, then you can use ReWire.
You're right MJ,
Vincent Burel's VB-Cable (also HIFI vb-cable) and Voicemeeter work well for this type of recording on Windows machines.

Alternative is using ASIO4ALL and enabling the hidden "What You Hear" device in Window system audio Playback/Record settings.
Cubase Pro 10.5, FL Studio 20, Ableton Live Suite 10.1,Harrison Mixbus 32c, UAD Apollo x series, UR44, UR28m, SSL, Native Instruments Komplete ultimate, NI Maschine Studio, Xfer Records Serum, Lennar Digital Sylenth1, reFx Nexus3, Reveal Sound Spire, FabFilter, Soundtoys, Lexicon PCM, Sonarworks, Slate Digital, Izotope, Brainworx, SPL, Waves, Cableguys, Cytomic, MeldaProductions, AOM, IK Multimedia, DDMF, Boz Digital, Antares Autotune, a bunch of other obscure stuff, TBs of samples, too much hardware to list... PC Windows 10 Pro 64bit, i7-5960x (8 core), Asus x99 Deluxe ii, GeForce 1070 strix, Fractal Design Silent RL2 case, Noctua NH-d15s, 64 GB DDR4 g,Skillz Trident Z 3200 RAM, 1tb Samsung 960 m.2, 3TB segate Ironwolf NAS HDD, 4TB WDRed, 2TB WD Black, Laptop: MSI Ghost pro GS60 6QE i7-6700 Skylake Win 10 64bit, Storage: 32 TB QNAP NAS Raid 50, 12 TB QNAP RAID 1

Return to “Cubase LE and Cubase AI”