Halion4 bundled with Cubase 6.1 ?

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
Centralmusic
Grand Senior Member

Halion4 bundled with Cubase 6.1 ?

Post by Centralmusic »

Hi,

I think it would be better when Halion 4 (?) be bundled as a free sampler with Cubase 6+.
Every other DAW on the market comes with a fully functioning sampler by default (!)
As it stands now I don't think it's possible for Halion to catch up with Kontakt platform, but any sort of competition is welcome.
The only way that Halion can get some marketshare at this point is by being bundled with, e.g.Cubase 6.x.
Any opinions?

regards,
Central
Last edited by Centralmusic on Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
!!! NOTE: This is a user forum. It's from users to users. This is not a technical support forum. Therefore sometime some Steinberg employees appear here and help the users. !!!
"Do you already know the manual?"
Kennst du schon das Handbuch?"

Hippo

Re: Halion4 bundled with Cubase6?

Post by Hippo »

How would that make sence, would there not be more money to be made by the company by selling Halion 4 seperately?
Steinberg is not a charity, how would your idea make better commercial sence?
Hippo
i9 9900k 32gig ram Steinberg UR44 Windows 10

gamelany

Post by gamelany »

Hippo wrote:...
Ohh! THE original HIPPO "reloaded" ?

Post by Guest »

It must be him - he never could spell "sense" :lol: Nice to see you back Hippo, from one old zoo animal to another.

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil »

zebbie wrote:It must be him - he never could spell "sense" :lol: Nice to see you back Hippo, from one old zoo animal to another.
you both spelled it wrong, it should be "this idea makes no cents!"
cpu:i7 6950x - RAM:128gb - OS:Win 10 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 9 | Cubase VST-32->9 | H5, GA4, HSO, Padshop Pro, Cubasis, iC Pro

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman »

Centralmusic wrote:it would be better when Halion 4 be bundled as a free sampler with Cubase 6
Precisely the reason I gave up waiting and bought Kontakt 4.
Windows 10 • Cubase 10.5.20 • WaveLab 10.0.40 • SpectraLayers 6.0.30 • HALion 6.4.0 • Groove Agent 5.0.20 • Midex

el-russo

Post by el-russo »

It would be better if HALion 4 just were...
cpu: AMD Phenom II x4 955, ram: 8GB DDR III 1333, Audio/MIDI Interface: Edirol FA66.
Windows 7 x64. Cubase 6.5.1 x64 and 32 bit.
VSTi's: VSL, HSO, Kontakt 4, HALion 4

Blackout

Post by Blackout »

Hippo wrote:How would that make sence, would there not be more money to be made by the company by selling Halion 4 seperately?
Steinberg is not a charity, how would your idea make better commercial sence?
Hippo
because hippo who cant even spell sense...their commercial sense has been completely blown out of the water and washed away by Kontakt 4 and no other updates for Halion for the last four years. The horse has bolted, Steinberg have dropped the ball, they have egg on their face, etc etc.

it makes perfectly good commercial sense for other DAWs like Logic & Ableton to include a sampler in their DAW package. So it should make sense for Steinberg to do the same and strengthen their 3rd or 4th place in the DAW race..before they become 5th place.

Blackout
Last edited by Blackout on Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cubase 8.5.30 / UAD2 Quad + UAD2 Solo / Win7 x64 SP1 / Asus X99 Deluxe II MB / 12 Gig DDR3 Samsung Ram / NVIDIA GT730 /Steinberg UR824 Audio Interface x2

Post by Guest »

It might make "sense" to bundle with half-baked solutions such as PT & Logic etc but for steinberg, makers of the VST specification unto which all other DAW's aspire, it makes no cents whatsoever.

Blackout

Post by Blackout »

right sanctimony...they are so clever about the vst spec that they must automatically make the best sampler in the world that they should charge separately for that the others dont, right...because after all if youre clever enough to make one then you must make the best of the other :lol:

theyre so clever about the vst3 spec that you cant even put the plugins in your own order in the list....genius...

having said all that i do own Halion 3, and i do hope they make a good Halion 4 one day. But its going to be a Herculean effort to pull the userbase back off Kontact now...they may as well cut their losses and just use it to boost Cubase package sales. Otherwise it will make little impact if/when it is finally released.
Cubase 8.5.30 / UAD2 Quad + UAD2 Solo / Win7 x64 SP1 / Asus X99 Deluxe II MB / 12 Gig DDR3 Samsung Ram / NVIDIA GT730 /Steinberg UR824 Audio Interface x2

Ian s

Post by Ian s »

One solution might be to offer a cut-down version or limited time licence of Halion 4 as part of C6,with a financially tempting upgrade path.

Rather like HSO with C5 - I wonder how many folk picked up HSO as a result of that bundling, even though it was only a 16 bit version with a clunky old GUI that was on offer - If you didn't already have an orchestral library it made sense.

If the bundled Halion 4 demonstrated that it was super neatly integrated with C6, fresh and well featured, then folk would be more likely to go for an uprgrade.

Although I'm sure that some would complain about it if there was any thought that a lot of resources were diverted into bundling an "unwanted" Halion 4 rather than developing and consolidating the core features of Cubase. Especially those who already have large Kontact libraries.

Maybe you could have the option to have Halion 4 instead of Loopmash 2 ? I'd go for something like that!
C10.0.40 | W7 | MR 816CSX, MR 816X, MR 816X | CC121| ES-175D | ES-345

Conman

Post by Conman »

Well. Where does it stop. Free this, free that. Wow! guys. Why not free everything?

Let the cheapskate revolution begin right here. :lol:
Asus P6T deluxe; Core i7 920 2.67gHz; 12gig ram; Win7 Pro SP1; Roland Octa-Capture usb inteface; Cubase 6; and no 3rd party additions couple of hard drives PSU 750watt; NVidia GE Force 9600.
"An entrepreneur accepts that the world is the way that it is and goes about changing it rather than waiting for someone to make it easy for them."

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil »

Ian s wrote:Maybe you could have the option to have Halion 4 instead of Loopmash 2 ? I'd go for something like that!
ARGH!!! Loopmash 2 ... that's like Killer Klowns from Outerspace 2! Wait .... Maybe Loopmash 2 IS Halion 4.
cpu:i7 6950x - RAM:128gb - OS:Win 10 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 9 | Cubase VST-32->9 | H5, GA4, HSO, Padshop Pro, Cubasis, iC Pro

Revelaion

Post by Revelaion »

I think a cut down version of Halion 4 bundled in Cubase 6 would be a good idea. Not only for us Cubase users, but with competition from cheaper DAW's like Reaper, and Studio One out there, having things like a sampler built in to Cubase like Logic does would encourage some to stay with Cubase. Then you could buy the full version of Halion if you so desire.
Glenn Bucci
revelationsoundstudio.com

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil »

Revelaion wrote:I think a cut down version of Halion 4 bundled in Cubase 6 would be a good idea. Not only for us Cubase users, but with competition from cheaper DAW's like Reaper, and Studio One out there, having things like a sampler built in to Cubase like Logic does would encourage some to stay with Cubase. Then you could buy the full version of Halion if you so desire.
There is a cut down version of Halion bundled with Cubase .. it's Halion1

Revelaion

Post by Revelaion »

JMCecil wrote:
Revelaion wrote:I think a cut down version of Halion 4 bundled in Cubase 6 would be a good idea. Not only for us Cubase users, but with competition from cheaper DAW's like Reaper, and Studio One out there, having things like a sampler built in to Cubase like Logic does would encourage some to stay with Cubase. Then you could buy the full version of Halion if you so desire.
There is a cut down version of Halion bundled with Cubase .. it's Halion1
I don't believe you can import samples into it from third party company's?
Glenn Bucci
revelationsoundstudio.com

jbw

Post by jbw »

Do people actually purposely buy Halion? Furthermore do non cubase/nuendo users even consider Halion knowing the far superior options available?

If they bundled it free with Cubase/Nuendo it would promote development of Halion Libraries.
Custom Windows 7 Pro 64bit PC
i7 4790k
16gb memory

--

Cubase 8.5.x

Post by Guest »

Why would anyone want or need Halion? Kontakt is such a complete and universal sampler that I'm guessing 90% of all "professionals" probably use it.

Blackout

Post by Blackout »

exactly Sean. most ppl have this sentiment. so unless Steinberg now admit defeat and make it part of Cubase 6 and market it as value-adding to the platform then i doubt it will garner any interest at all upon its release.

but, as we know, Germans dont like to admit defeat.

TS-12

Post by TS-12 »

Why do you wish for cubase 6?
I would rather want "cubase 6" features, (but not bugs, and sloppy midi) added to cubase 5 update ;)

actually, I don't really want the new features at all, just fix the broken current features
Win7 64bit/i7-920/8GB RAM/ASUS P6T/e-GeForce 7200GS
-Cubase / PreSonus StudoLive 16.4.2
Korg Tr-rack/ Fantom G6

cubic13

Post by cubic13 »

I would also rather like bug fixes and enhanced features (FXP/FXB saving, better time stretch algorithms, comping tool, windows management enhancements, automatic filter of vstpresets for the inspector 'Program change' field, and so on..). But I understand that it is necessary to have an easy sounds source for new buyers, this to have a set of instantly usable sounds once Cubase is installed.

So, IMO, the best solution would be a cutdown version of Halion Sonic easily upgradable for someting like 150 € on line, as HSO was. This one, that came with C5 wasn't bad and I finally Ibought it, even if the UI isn't up to date : the sounds are rather good and suits my need for, at least, single orchestral instrument. I would do the same thing for Halion Sonic, even a 16 bits version, if it is worth this price : presently, it is too expensive, even if I'm tempted.

That would be better than Halion One which I don't use because, even if there are some nice sounds with it, the editing features are ridiculous compared to something like Dimension Pro bundled with Sonar PE. It would also increase Halion Sonic sells. I don't need a full sampler as I already have one and I don't see any host bundled with a true sampler, by the way...
DAW : Ryzen 3700X / Asus Prime X470-Pro / 32 Gb DDR4-3200 / 2 x SSD (M.2 WD Black 500 Gb + Corsair Force 960 Gb) / Radeon RX550 (2 Gb) / Windows 10 Pro (64) / RME Fireface UCX + Behringer ADA8200
Soft & plug-ins : Cubase Pro 10.0.60 / Emulator X3 & several VSTis (Alchemy, Sylenth 1, Lounge Lizard, True Pianos, VB3, BFD2...)
Gear : Studiologic VMK-188+ / Akai MPD32 / Akai ME30P MIDI Patchbay / Korg 05RW / Roland D110 / Yamaha TX802 / Pre-MIDI stuff.

albertg

Post by albertg »

The way I look at this. I'm going to need to see something really revolutionary in order to invest in Halion 4. Halion 3 has been such a disappointment that I was forced to buy Kontakt--which is the standard for so many extraordinary vst instruments. I have enough synth-style sounds to blow a hole in the stratosphere. I really don't know how Halion 4 will contain any marked improvement that would justify the investment at this point.

The one thing I am looking for is an upgrade to Halion Symphonic. I like the sounds, but hate the interface and search functions. It's a mess.

Audiocave

Post by Audiocave »

I'm installing Kontakt 4 as we speak. I never even considered Halion, not for a second.

I think the guy above actually has a great idea. Bundle the *full* Halion sampler with Cubase with a limited sound set and maybe in that Steinberg way, make it so that you have to use Halion sounds from them. Sell the sounds to anyone who's interested and/or an extended license to use other content with it, dunno.

With Kontakt less than $400 and having excellent sounds, why would anyone choose Halion?

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman »

albertg wrote:The way I look at this. I'm going to need to see something really revolutionary in order to invest in Halion 4. Halion 3 has been such a disappointment that I was forced to buy Kontakt--which is the standard for so many extraordinary vst instruments. I have enough synth-style sounds to blow a hole in the stratosphere. I really don't know how Halion 4 will contain any marked improvement that would justify the investment at this point.

The one thing I am looking for is an upgrade to Halion Symphonic. I like the sounds, but hate the interface and search functions. It's a mess.
+1
I totally agree with every point:

1. I really wanted to see a HAlion 4 with innovative features as well as building on the work of others, for example, combining E-MU's loop bending with Kontakt's scripting)

2. Yes, I've given up and already bought Kontakt so now there's no way I'm paying for a seperate HALion 4. There are no capabilities that any other sampling product could possibly offer that would make me spend money on it (well; there are a few things, but I don't want to get banned here ....)

3. Synth sounds? I already had more than enough before HALion was even invented! I would need a datacentre to just classify the amount of synth sounds currently at my disposal. Synth sounds (as commonly used to fill blank space on magazine cover discs) in isolation are essentially useless, and that is true regardless of whether they come in the form of gratis "computer tech muzak mag" coasters or as paid-for VSTi soundbanks.

albertg wrote:The one thing I am looking for is an upgrade to Halion Symphonic. I like the sounds, but hate the interface and search functions
Exactly.
Windows 10 • Cubase 10.5.20 • WaveLab 10.0.40 • SpectraLayers 6.0.30 • HALion 6.4.0 • Groove Agent 5.0.20 • Midex

MrSoundman

Post by MrSoundman »

Audiocave wrote:Bundle the *full* Halion sampler with Cubase with a limited sound set
Exactly. HALionOne becomes HALionCUBE or some such *#@%$, you get a decent selection of Motif sounds as part of Cubase 6, and you can download the rest at a cost. That way the wife doesn't catch you bringing the stuff into the house either.

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”