Soft-eLicenser (SeL) FAQ
This article answers frequently asked questions about the "Soft-eLicenser" and related topics.
What is a "Soft-eLicenser"? Answer
Which products are using the Soft-eLicenser for storing licenses? Answer
Is it possible to transfer licenses from the Soft-eLicenser to a USB-eLicenser? Answer
What do I have to do if my Soft-eLicenser does not contain a license? Answer
The Soft-eLicenser seems to be deactivated. What can I do? Answer
How can I request a new activation code resp. what is the procedure for a reactivation? Answer
Is it possible to activate Soft-eLicenser protected software on a computer without internet connection? Answer
Is it possible to use Soft-eLicenser protected software on several computers? Answer
How can I sell Soft-eLicenser protected software? Answer
The Soft-eLicenser is missing! The eLicenser Control Center does not display a Soft-eLicenser! How can I proceed? Answer
What is a "Soft-eLicenser"?
The Soft-eLicenser (in short: SeL) is a virtual license container on the hard disk. Each Soft-eLicenser has an unique 2 x 10-digit number, which is needed for registering software with a MySteinberg account and requesting activation codes. This number and all licenses stored in a Soft-eLicenser are being displayed by the eLicenser Control Center, a license management tool installed along with any Steinberg software. To ensure perfect operation of the Soft-eLicenser, it is recommendable to install the latest eLicenser Control Center.
Soft-eLicensers are system-specific. Therefore, replacing computer components or major changes to the operating system can cause the Soft-eLicenser to become deactivated. Please note the corresponding questions & answers in this FAQ, in case you experience difficulties with the Soft-eLicenser.
The so called USB-eLicenser (dongle) is the hardware-based counterpart of the Soft-eLicenser. Licenses stored on a USB-eLicenser are independent from a specific computer.
Which products are using the Soft-eLicenser for storing licenses (as of January 2016)?
- Basic FX Suite
- Cubase AI 4, Cubase AI 5, Cubase AI 6, Cubase AI 7, Cubase AI 8
- Cubase LE 4, Cubase LE 5, Cubase LE 6, Cubase LE 7, Cubase LE 8
- Cubase Elements 6, Cubase Elements 7, Cubase Elements 8
- MP3 Encoder
- Padshop, Padshop Pro
- Sequel 1, Sequel 2, Sequel 3
- Sequel LE 2, Sequel LE 3
- Sequel Content Sets
- Sonote beat re:edit
- VST Sound Instrument Sets
- VST Sound Loop Sets
- WaveLab Essential 6
- WaveLab Elements 7, WaveLab Elements 8
- WaveLab LE 6, WaveLab LE 7, WaveLab LE 8
Is it possible to transfer licenses from the Soft-eLicenser to an USB-eLicenser?
Yes, this is possible since version 126.96.36.199 of the License Control Center (LCC) and with all versions of its successor eLicenser Control Center. An internet connection is required for the transfer and activation of licenses. A license transfer from USB-eLicenser to SeL is not possible.
What do I have to do if my Soft-eLicenser does not contain a license?
If the Soft-eLicenser doesn't show any license at all, you need to download the needed license by entering the activation code that you've received for the software.
- Open the eLicenser Control Center (Windows: Programs, Mac: Applications).
- Click on "Enter Activation Code".
- Enter or paste the activation code.
- Click on "Continue" and then on "Download License".
In case the activation code has been used already, you need to reactivate your license by requesting a new activation code via your MySteinberg account.
The Soft-eLicenser has been deactivated. What can I do?
In case the Soft-eLicenser has been deactivated (red font in eLicenser Control Center), please follow these steps:
- Close all programs.
- Download and install the latest eLicenser Control Center.
- Run the eLicenser Control Center (Windows: Programs, Mac: Applications).
- Apply the "Maintenance & Online Synchronisation" by clicking on "Perform Maintenance Tasks" (or click on the "Maintenance" button if not shown).
If this doesn't help, please contact us using the support form within your MySteinberg account. Please name the number of the affected Soft-eLicenser and, if possible, attach screenshots showing the eLicenser Control Center window.
How can I request a new activation code resp. what is the procedure for a reactivation?
Reactivating a license consists of two steps:
- Requesting a new activation code via your MySteinberg account.
- Using the new activation code in the eLicenser Control Center on your computer in order to download a new license.
These are the necessary steps in detail:
- Log in to your MySteinberg account.
- If you do not have an account yet, please visit the page to create one.
- Click on"Reactivate"
- In case the product has never been registered before and you cannot select a Soft-eLicenser, please first register it using the "Register eLicenser / software & Enter Download Access Code" option and use the old activation code to register. Then continue with this guide.
- Click on "Reactivate" again
- Select the Soft-eLicenser you intend to reactivate
- Enter the new Soft-eLicenser number that has been created on your new system. The number is displayed by the eLicenser Control Center which can be found in the "Program Files" (Windows) or "Applications" (Mac) folder on your computer.
- Click on "Reactivate".
- The new activation code will be displayed and also be sent to you by email.
- Click on the green "Enter Activation Code" button in the eLicenser Control Center to enter or paste your code.
- Click on "Continue" and then on "Download License".
Is it possible to activate Soft-eLicenser protected software on a computer without Internet connection?
Basically, activating means downloading a license. Therefore Soft-eLicenser protected software cannot be activated on a computer that is not connected to the internet. However, you can use an USB-eLicenser (dongle) to circumvent this limitation.
Is it possible to use Soft-eLicenser protected software on several computers?
No, this is not possible! The respective product can only be active on one computer at a time. If you need additional installations in parallel on other computers, you need to purchase the required amount of program licenses.
Alternatively, licenses can be transferred from the Soft-eLicenser onto a USB-eLicenser (dongle). In this way, they become transportable.
How can I sell Soft-eLicenser protected software?
Please have a look at our Resale Wizard!
The Soft-eLicenser is missing! The eLicenser Control Center does not display a Soft-eLicenser! How can I proceed?
Detailed instructions on how to solve this problem can be found in this article.