VST AU East West

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
jeremiahwas

VST AU East West

Post by jeremiahwas »

Hello, before I go running out to buy a VS2 or VS3 library, will my East West library somehow work with Dorico now or ever in the future?
THANKS!!!

Daniel at Steinberg

Re: VST AU East West

Post by Daniel at Steinberg »

Play is a VST2.x instrument and will not load into Dorico by default, but it can be added to the whitelist so that it will load. We have not ourselves yet tested Play extensively with Dorico, but since it works well in Cubase there is no reason to suppose it would not also work well in Dorico.

jeremiahwas

Post by jeremiahwas »

Excuse the ignorance, but what is this ‘whitelist’ of which thou doth speaketh?

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg »

Please see here.

maursac

Post by maursac »

I also use East West and I followed the tutorial to how to use VST2 plug-ins in Dorico, but I didn't find any value="0"/> in the Components\Category Audio Module Class\Available group.
Wath I have to do.
For me, use East west, is fondamental.

Thanks,
Maurizio

Derrek
Grand Senior Member

Post by Derrek »

From the VST Stickie at the top of the Queue:
Ulf wrote:
delmonteguitar wrote:Can some one tell me weather "Play" from East West Quantum Leap orchestra sample library works with Dorico?
Play 4.3 does work, but Play 5.0.0 is known to make trouble.
Good news is, East West is aware of this and will release an update soon,
so have a look for updates at East West.
Dorico Pro 3.5.10.1045, Finale (v26), GPO, JABB3, GWI, NotePerformer 3.3.1, CuBase Pro 10.5 newbie
Windows 10 (also Mac Catalina as alternate)
US English Keyboard

dhbailey52

Post by dhbailey52 »

Neither Play 4.3 nor Play 5 works with my installation of Dorico (Win10-64bit Home)

fratveno

Post by fratveno »

Same here. If east-west will be releasing an update to play 5 shortly, (which I'm sure they will) it won't be because of Steinberg incompatibilty, that's for sure :)
(re-tired)

Ulf
Steinberg Employee

Post by Ulf »

fratveno wrote:Same here. If east-west will be releasing an update to play 5 shortly, (which I'm sure they will) it won't be because of Steinberg incompatibilty, that's for sure :)
Sure, not solely for Steinberg. But they will put out a maintenance update anyway, and one fix among others will be this incompatibility issue.
Steinberg employee

Ulf
Steinberg Employee

Post by Ulf »

dhbailey52 wrote:Neither Play 4.3 nor Play 5 works with my installation of Dorico (Win10-64bit Home)
And you did edit the whitelist?
Steinberg employee

dhbailey52

Post by dhbailey52 »

Ulf wrote:
dhbailey52 wrote:Neither Play 4.3 nor Play 5 works with my installation of Dorico (Win10-64bit Home)
And you did edit the whitelist?
Yes, using the numbers someone else posted in the original thread on using VSTs in Dorico. I'm a patient man, though, so rather than beat my head against this problem I'll just wait for EWQL's update to Play5, which hopefully will resolve this issue in a positive way.

One question, though -- since Play is in the blacklist file, once I update to the new Play version (whenever it comes out), will the blacklist file be automatically rewritten to reflect this by removing the Play entry?

Thanks again Ulf for spending so much time with us on this subject!

Ulf
Steinberg Employee

Post by Ulf »

dhbailey52 wrote:I'm a patient man, though, so rather than beat my head against this problem I'll just wait for EWQL's update to Play5, which hopefully will resolve this issue in a positive way.
If you zip me up the folder C:\Users\<yourname>\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\VSTAudioEngine_64
I can have a quick look and see what might be wrong.
dhbailey52 wrote: One question, though -- since Play is in the blacklist file, once I update to the new Play version (whenever it comes out), will the blacklist file be automatically rewritten to reflect this by removing the Play entry?
Good question. Actually the plug-in sentinel for VST3s will detect that a new version got installed and rescan it automatically. With VST2s I'm not quite sure, the guy who knows is currently not in. In any case, if it doesn't get automatically rescanned, you can force it buy deleting the blacklist before starting Dorico.
Steinberg employee

fratveno

Post by fratveno »

Cubase 9 reports PLAY as blacklisted, but you also get the option to reactivate it at your own risk... perhaps Dorico could do the same.
(re-tired)

David Tee

Post by David Tee »

What exactly are the risks? Are we talking about programs and databases being messed up - or simply that they won't work?
• Dorico 3.5, Cubase 10.5.5
MacPro (mid 2012), 64 GB Ram, OSX 10.14.6, Stream Deck + Notation Express, Metagrid 1.6

David Tee

Post by David Tee »

fratveno wrote:Cubase 9 reports PLAY as blacklisted, but you also get the option to reactivate it at your own risk... perhaps Dorico could do the same.
Just loaded up Cubase 9 - it's not listed as blacklisted on my list (Mac). But I think the process they go through with listing VST's and, as you say, giving you the option to activate it, is first class and Dorico should definitely adopt it.
• Dorico 3.5, Cubase 10.5.5
MacPro (mid 2012), 64 GB Ram, OSX 10.14.6, Stream Deck + Notation Express, Metagrid 1.6

dhbailey52

Post by dhbailey52 »

Bailey VSTAudioEngine_64.zip
(465.93 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
Ulf wrote: If you zip me up the folder C:\Users\<yourname>\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\VSTAudioEngine_64
I can have a quick look and see what might be wrong.
Thanks for the offer, Ulf!
I'm attaching the zip file as you asked -- thank you for seeing if there is anything you can do to help me out!
Bailey VSTAudioEngine_64.zip
(465.93 KiB) Downloaded 103 times

Ulf
Steinberg Employee

Post by Ulf »

dhbailey52 wrote:I'm attaching the zip file as you asked -- thank you for seeing if there is anything you can do to help me out!
I'm not in the office toay, but will have a look tomorrow...
Steinberg employee

dhbailey52

Post by dhbailey52 »

Thanks! Of all the music software I have where it's impossible to actually communicate with any of the developers, I have to say that the involvement of key members of the Dorico team in this forum is very gratifying and helps us "early adopters" know that your'e all committed to Dorico and its users. Thank you!

Ulf
Steinberg Employee

Post by Ulf »

dhbailey52 wrote:I'm attaching the zip file as you asked -- thank you for seeing if there is anything you can do to help me out!
Well, Play does get blacklisted by the plug-in sentinel. So what version of Play do you have installed? As said elsewhere, Play 4.3 we would expect to load but not 5.0. In case of 5.0 you'd need to wait for the soon coming update from EastWest.
Steinberg employee

dhbailey52

Post by dhbailey52 »

I uninstalled Play5 and reinstalled Play4.3 and it still wouldn't load. So I removed that and reinstalled Play5.

So I'll just wait for the update from EWQL, no point in spending more time trying to get this to work on my machine right now.

kevin b

Post by kevin b »

Has anyone had any luck since the update to Play 5.0.1? I've followed these threads trying everything but still haven't gotten it to work with Dorico. Thanks!
Kevin Beavers
composer
www.kevinbeavers.com

fratveno

Post by fratveno »

kevin b wrote:Has anyone had any luck since the update to Play 5.0.1? I've followed these threads trying everything but still haven't gotten it to work with Dorico. Thanks!
Yes, as soon as I installed Play 5.0.1 it appeared in Dorico...
(re-tired)

Return to “Dorico”