Toggling chord and tuplet input

I was entering a piece (BWV 104) the other day that has a lot of quarter note triplets alternating with other things (quarter notes, dotted quarter notes, etc.) I felt like it took a lot longer than it should have have. E.g., to enter a measure of triplets, I needed to hit “5” to chose 8th notes, then a few more keys to choose “triplet mode”. Then enter a few notes. Then, to go back to quarter notes, I needed a couple keystrokes to exit triplet mode and then “6” to choose quarter notes. Very easy to miss one key and create a mess, which I did repeatedly.

It would have been really convenient to have a single command (that could be mapped to a single key) that just set the note duration to “1/3 of a quarter note”. No modes, just a change of duration. I could have mapped it to, say, “1” (which I don’t think I’ve ever used) and things would have been much quicker and less error prone: I could have hit “1”, entered a series of notes that would notate as triplets, hit “6” to enter quarter notes, etc.