1.1 Playback problem.

Discussions about our next-generation scoring application, Dorico.
andyp13

1.1 Playback problem.

Post by andyp13 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:00 am

When I press playback the green bar disappears? Or stays static (it varies).
The playback is also slightly erratic. But the main problems is the disappearance of the green bar on playback.

Ulf
Steinberg Employee

Re: 1.1 Playback problem.

Post by Ulf » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:09 am

Are you on Mac or Win? What audio device are you using and what are the settings, especially audio buffer size?
Steinberg employee

andyp13

Post by andyp13 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:55 pm

Hi, I'm on a Mac, I also tried it with just one instrument and even without an instrument loaded and it's the same.

Ulf
Steinberg Employee

Post by Ulf » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:11 pm

Could you please zip up the folder /Users/<yourname>/Library/Preferences/VSTAudioEngine and post here. The log files will help us identifying the problem.
Steinberg employee

andyp13

Post by andyp13 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:36 pm

Im sorry, but I dont have this?
If I go to my HD root and dbl click my options are Users, when I dbl click on that and then my user name - I do not have a file called Library?

If I go from the HD root I have a folder called Library - then Prefrences but nothing called VSTAudioEngine?

Ulf
Steinberg Employee

Post by Ulf » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:42 pm

Actually, it is a hidden folder which Finder doesn't show you directly. You could either open a console and type in the path, or there is somewhere in the Finder menu an item called "Go to Folder" or so. At home here I'm on Win and have a Mac only at work. Tomorrow I can give more precise info.
Steinberg employee

PaulWalmsley
Steinberg Employee

Post by PaulWalmsley » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:48 pm

The easier way is to do Help -> Create Diagnostic Report, which will leave a file on the desktop called Dorico Diagnostics.zip which you can attach here, or send us a direct message if you prefer.
Architect & Developer - Steinberg London

bobk

Post by bobk » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:26 am

I'm having a similar issue.

The audio seems to play back fine, but frequently the green playback wiper, the time display, and the play button freeze. When I press the rewind key command (the period on the num pad), the music will play from the start as expected (always, or almost always), but the wiper and time display remain frozen.

Sometimes the issue goes away if I toggle the display of MIDI data in a lane (i.e., change it from hidden to displayed or vice versa), but it returns soon after.

This happened with the same file on both on a 2009 Mac Pro with audio playing through a Metric Halo ULN-8 and on a 2012 MacBook Pro played through internal speakers.

Bob

Mac Pro (Early 2009)
2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
40 GB RAM
Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB RAM
Mac OS Sierra 10.12.5

Dorico 1.1
Last edited by bobk on Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dorico 1.2 | --- | Mac Pro (Early 2009) 2 x 3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon | 40 GB RAM | Mac OS 10.12.6 |---| MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) | 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 | 16 GB RAM | Mac OS 10.12.6 |---| Metric Halo ULN-8

PaulWalmsley
Steinberg Employee

Post by PaulWalmsley » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:18 am

This is a known issue. We can reproduce it here, but we still haven't managed to get to the bottom of why it's happening. It only happens on mac.
Architect & Developer - Steinberg London

Ulf
Steinberg Employee

Post by Ulf » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:56 am

andyp13 wrote:When I press playback the green bar disappears? Or stays static (it varies).
The playback is also slightly erratic. But the main problems is the disappearance of the green bar on playback.
We are further interested in: You say that playback is slightly erratic. What does that mean? Are notes missing, in the wrong order, wrong length, wrong...?
What if you do an audio export of the piece, is that fine or also erratic?
Steinberg employee

andyp13

Post by andyp13 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:44 pm

No sorry, I worded that wrong, the green bar is erratic, the playback is ok but the green bar does not follow.... Sometimes it stays were it is, sometimes it starts to move and then disappears... Other times it disappears when I press play.

Daniel at Steinberg

Post by Daniel at Steinberg » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:01 pm

You may find that wiggling the mouse pointer around the screen "unsticks" the playback line, and you may also find that switching modes, e.g. to Engrave mode and back again, either by clicking on the buttons in the toolbar or using the shortcuts Command-3 and Command-2, get things moving again.

I'm sure we will eventually manage to get to the bottom of this, but so far we have been unable to. The problem is difficult to reproduce on demand and is therefore difficult to debug.

wallyyoung

Post by wallyyoung » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:24 am

Hi There!

Just wanted to chime in that I just witnessed this problem. I've occasionally seen the playhead indicator get 'stuck' while playing, but this was a bit more severe.

Notes:
- First time running Dorico after upgrading from 1.0.3 to 1.1
- 2016 MBP 15-inch, macOS 10.12.5
- Window was originally full screened (it's own 'space' in Mission Control), but its behaviour was consistent when I reverted to windowed mode.

Issue:
- No changes in the content window during 'Write' mode- Any note entered, changed, highlighted, etc. using the keyboard commands would not show in the main content pane until I scrolled any distance.

The application knows I changed the notation- It would play the right notes as I modified the notation, but it would not visually present the update. I feel as if it's tied to window redraw not being triggered, and the only thing I could do to cause a redraw was modifying the physical scroll position or pressing play, but it would only update for one frame at a time.

Restarting Dorico, this behaviour ceased. Additionally, later opening the application, selecting it to open in low resolution did not affect anything visually, aside from resolution.

PS. It's worth also noting, that when the application is functioning normally (for me), the playhead seems to move 'choppily'. Similarly to above, if I'm constantly scrolling while in playback, I can see that the playhead is moving perfectly smooth.

PPS. Log from major affected session attached.
Attachments
VSTAudioEngine.log.zip
Log from affected session.
(4.92 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

wallyyoung

Post by wallyyoung » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:29 am

Edit to my previous post: I've been able to re-trigger this issue by bringing up the mixer, which thinking back, was before I noticed the issue in the previous session, as well. Changing in-and-out of "Write" mode fixed the issue.

pxm

Post by pxm » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:29 pm

I have similar problem and I'm on Win 10. Sometimes the green bar gets stuck although it still plays. It only has this problem on the playback page, not on the write page and its intermittent.

Ulf
Steinberg Employee

Post by Ulf » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:02 pm

pxm wrote:I have similar problem and I'm on Win 10. Sometimes the green bar gets stuck although it still plays. It only has this problem on the playback page, not on the write page and its intermittent.
Are you serious, really on Windows? Because so far we have only ever seen this on Mac. If it also happens on Win, well, that opens a whole new dimension...
Steinberg employee

pxm

Post by pxm » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:42 pm

No, I'm not joking. It gets stuck sometimes. If I quit the program and restart it clears it up, or sometimes flipping pages works but not always.

I don't think its related but I also get intermittent glitches in the playback, although that may related to using East West Play VST3. I've tried different ASIO drivers and settings that's made no difference. I haven't heard the effect with Halion yet but I've also not used it much.

Ulf
Steinberg Employee

Post by Ulf » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:12 am

pxm wrote:No, I'm not joking. It gets stuck sometimes. If I quit the program and restart it clears it up, or sometimes flipping pages works but not always.
Would you mind telling us your system's spec?
Steinberg employee

pxm

Post by pxm » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:14 am

Desktop, I7-6850K, 128 GB RAM, Gigabyte X99 based Motherboard, Gibabyte GTX NVidia 1060 graphics card. Anything else you need?

Ulf
Steinberg Employee

Post by Ulf » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:50 am

Thanks, that's enough. You have a decently equipped machine, so horse power can not be an issue. On my rather old and slow MacMini I frequently see that problem with the green line not moving. But as already mentioned, it is very difficult to reliably evoke and also debug.
Steinberg employee

MarkSealey

Post by MarkSealey » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:58 pm

I'm experiencing the same thing (1.1 on 10.12.5 - high horsepower iMac).

Unable to reproduce reliably. At first I thought it was only when I failed to use Num. to move Playback head to start of score. (Now it plays from start regardless of whether I do so or not: could that be related?)

Steinberg Staff - please say if that diagnostic zip would help at all… small score.

Good luck!
--
Mark Sealey
Dorico 1.1.10/Ivory II/VSL/(Sibelius 8.6) on 'Late 2014' Retina 5K iMac; 4 GHz i7; 32 GB RAM; High Sierra, 10.13.2

Ulf
Steinberg Employee

Post by Ulf » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:35 am

MarkSealey wrote:Unable to reproduce reliably. At first I thought it was only when I failed to use Num. to move Playback head to start of score. (Now it plays from start regardless of whether I do so or not: could that be related?)
Steinberg Staff - please say if that diagnostic zip would help at all… small score.
Unfortuanetly, in that case the diagnostic doesn't help us.

And as you see yourself, it's so difficult to reproduce reliably. Sometimes I have it stopping on every play, but then also times where it runs for hours without a glitch.

And when you attach a debugger it won't happen anymore at all...really difficult to track down.
Steinberg employee

MarkSealey

Post by MarkSealey » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:01 pm

Ulf,

Got it. Of course. Though happy to 'help' if I can.

Until now, it always works as intended after a relaunch.

I have been trying to see whether it may be associated with moving/repositioning the manuscript within the window, or other window adjustments such that the screen redraw/refresh, or pointers thereto, get confused?

Good luck. (It's not going to put me off, BTW, as I know you'll find it and fix it!)
--
Mark Sealey
Dorico 1.1.10/Ivory II/VSL/(Sibelius 8.6) on 'Late 2014' Retina 5K iMac; 4 GHz i7; 32 GB RAM; High Sierra, 10.13.2

MarkSealey

Post by MarkSealey » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:37 am

I have to take that back, I'm afraid: it 'stuck' after a hard start of my computer, so nothing else running; and a clean/fresh start of Dorico… existing composition, though (piano and trombone).
MarkSealey wrote:…Until now, it always works as intended after a relaunch…
--
Mark Sealey

MarkSealey

Post by MarkSealey » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:13 am

Also, that it can actually escalate - and (at least in the one piece I'm currently working on) it can render notes unelectable and the score entirely unresponsive.
--
Mark Sealey

Return to “Dorico”