Can’t get sound on playback, or other audio problem? Check out this video.

The video is superb and I did get sound on playback with Dorico 2.1 (cross-grade from Sibelius on Windows), but with the following caveat. I have two playback drivers: i) Speakers (USB DAC but 24-bit sound only) and ii) JRiver music player input (used for routing external music). I kept the Dorico ASIO driver and set the USB driver to 44.1 kHz as directed. In Device Control Panel, if the “Allow ASIO …” box was checked, only the JRiver driver appeared, while if the “Allow ASIO …” box was not checked, only the Speakers driver appeared! I selected “unchecked” to get the desired Speakers driver and restarted Dorico. I did not get sound, and was concerned about incompatibility with the 16-bit ASIO.

After much playing around, I found that if I toggled the “Allow ASIO …” box on and off, I got sound on Play. However, I had to repeat this toggle operation on each new project to get sound. All of the example projects played correctly, despite the dubious driver behavior above. I did not try disabling the JRiver driver, since I do use it and there may be a nicer option. Anyway, I have many tutorials to view and they are much nicer when playback sound is present.

Greetings Daniel; I got help from you several times when you were “Daniel at Sibelius”. As a retired software developer, I can appreciate what you and your colleagues have achieved with Dorico.