upgrading from elements to artist: confused about old licenses

Interested in Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 or Cubase Elements 9? Having questions regarding the update or upgrade to the latest version? Please post here!
ezl86

upgrading from elements to artist: confused about old licenses

Post by ezl86 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:06 am

Hi everyone! long time lurker here, first time posting

I'm a bit confused between the licenses showing up in eLicenser CC and my steinberg profile online.
Back in late 2016 I bought a elements 8.5 license and by mid 2017 I updated to elements 9. If I look in my steinberg profile I got Cubase Elements 9 and Cubase elements 8 both listed under the same elicenser and both activated (I still have E8 installed, dunno if that's why it's still activated?). But on the elicenser application in my computer I only see cubase E9 under my licenses. So I gather that only E9 is showing in the eLCC because I genuinely purchased elements once. Is that right?
If that's right, then here's my question: I'm planning to upgrade to artist 9.5, can I install artist in my main computer and move elements to a second computer with another elicenser? (I know I can move licenses to the dongle but I prefer not to do so if possible because getting the dongle in my country was quite a task and I prefer to keep it safe at home). I guess I cannot do that but just want to be sure before spending money. So I'll need to buy a new elements license right? I understand that if I upgrade my license in eLCC will be a Cubase Artists 9.5 license, ignoring the previous ones like it's currently doing with my old E8. I'm a bit confused because in mySteinberg profile my E8/9 licenses look like separate products.

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Re: upgrading from elements to artist: confused about old licenses

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:30 am

Hi and welcome,

Assuming you are owner of 1 license only (Cubase Elements 9), if you upgrade your license to Cubase Artist
A) You have to move it to the USB-eLicenser, Cubase Artist works with USB-eLicenser only.
B) Even after, you will be owner of 1 license only, which would Cubase Artist.

So you cannot use license A on one computer and license B on another computer.

But you can use Cubase Artist on both computers. Where is the USB-eLicenser plugged in, there you can start your Cubase. This is the biggest advantage of the HW dongle in general.
Martin Jirsak
http://www.cubase-training.com/EN/

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

ezl86

Re: upgrading from elements to artist: confused about old licenses

Post by ezl86 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:43 am

Great, thanks for the help Martin!

Return to “Presales”