Licensing Clarification

Interested in Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 or Cubase Elements 9? Having questions regarding the update or upgrade to the latest version? Please post here!
Carl Curry_

Licensing Clarification

Post by Carl Curry_ » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:48 pm

I am one of the disenfranchised Sonar Platinum users. Cubase is right at the top of the list of possible replacement. Licensing may be a sticking point.
I am a pretty simple setup home studio user. Primary and secondary DAW. In a perfect world, the secondary never gets used other than to stay in sync if ever needed.
As I read the terms and conditions, Steinberg is licensing computers, not me, and expects me to pay for that computers copy whether ever used or not.
I see the dongle option, but for me this is an approach who's time passed some years ago.
I'm hoping for two clarifications;
Is it indeed one copy per computer?
Is there at least the more contemporary approach of software utility activation and deactivation of known devices so I can sync/update the secondary DAW periodically?
Thanks in advance for input.

planarchist

Re: Licensing Clarification

Post by planarchist » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:18 pm

Carl Curry_ wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:48 pm
I suspect I misunderstand this as I can't see why you'd want more than one copy of Cubase on a single computer.
You can only have one copy of each version on each computer yes. You can install the software on several computers, I have it on three. The issue is indeed the License which, if you want to use it on more than one computer (or if it's the Artist or Pro version), resides on a USB eLicenser. The software can only be used on the computer that the USB eLicenser is plugged in to at that time.
Carl Curry_ wrote:
Is there at least the more contemporary approach of software utility activation and deactivation of known devices so I can sync/update the secondary DAW periodically?
No for Artist and Pro versions there is only the option of the USB eLicenser. There has been talk of various alternative licensing structures coming but no official announcements. Personally I prefer it this way (and I do also have software that takes the activation/deactivation route).
Nic

Cubase Pro 9.5.21, Abs.Collec.3, i7 4770K 3.5GHz, 32 Gig RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, Tascam US1800, S'berg Midex 8.
Cubase Pro 9.5.30, Abs.Collec.3, i7 920 2.67Ghz , 24Gig RAM, Windows 7 Ult 64 bit SP1, Steinberg CI2+, Yamaha THR5.

Cubase Elements 9.40 on Windows 10 Laptop, i7-2760QM 8Gig RAM, Sonic Port VX.
Cubasis 1.9.9 iPad Mini 4 64GB

gestavrakis

Post by gestavrakis » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:01 am

Carl Curry_ wrote:
Actually its one license active per computer. So you cant use two different licenses the same time on same computer and neither can you use the same license online on two different computers. In second option, you can use the one computer or the other but not both the same time.
Talking about soft-elicense not USB license

svennilenni

Post by svennilenni » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:15 am

Carl Curry_ wrote:
As I read the terms and conditions, Steinberg is licensing computers, not me
You must have read wrong.
Carl Curry_ wrote:
It is: One license can be used with up to three computers. As said, since it´s on the USB eLicenser only on one computer at a time - the one, which has the USB eLicenser connected.
Carl Curry_ wrote:
You can update your secondary DAW anytime you like.

Return to “Presales”