An open plea to Steinberg

I know, I’m annoying. But the thing is that this is part of the cycle. And this particular thing I just commented on isn’t isolated to Steinberg. I think we see pretty frequently that users want communication, and they keep asking for it with company representatives not being seen anywhere. Then finally they appear, and they say - paraphrased - “Hey, we’re here, we haven’t forgotten about you, and we’re listening”. Every time that happens users go - paraphrased - “Oh, great man, thanks for talking to us” “Yeah, makes me feel so much better”.

Now, what was the substance of the message? In and by itself possibly positive. Of course we want them to listen. But the proof is in the pudding. The only way we know if they’re listening AND actually doing something we want to see happen is if, you know, it actually happens. That’s the only way we know for sure (save for nuking the site from orbit). And that’s where things typically fail.

Now we hear that Cubase is getting yet another update next week, for the lower version. So I ask you; when a SB rep told us in the Nuendo section that this nasty bug was a “priority” for them, do you really think that was the case? Of course users will say, “Oh, great; thanks for making it a priority!”… was it?..

Yeah, I’m a grumpy old cynic. All I’m saying is look at history of software development, user feedback, and SB representative feedback. I don’t think I’m wrong.

For any Steinberg employee reading this though I can assure you that you can ignore my presence because your users will continue to buy the next shiny thing and you can continue your modus operandi unimpeded.