ASIO spikes

Hi hungaristan!

I.
On my system the ASIO spikes build up gradually. Everything seems to be ok on opening the project, but after a while I get more and more crackles. Quitting/relaunching Cubase helps for a while until the problem gradually builds up again. It seems as if something had to be flushed by quitting to get rid of the crackles.

The VST meter shows ~75-80% usage (which is another annoyance because the CPU load never goes above 15%), the memory usage is less than 40%.

To me it sounds like your system is going into some kind of energy saving mode. As if the cores gradually toggle down because they don’t realize that they are needed.

So you should try to turn off the AMD speed throttling technology “Cool’n’Quiet”. You can do this in the BIOS of the system. When you restart the system it will tell you in the beginning how you can acces the BIOS. The location of this setting is BIOS specific so I can’t tell you exactly where it is. What other CPU options do you have in the BIOS?

Here is some more broadband input from my side.
I have a couple of suspicions but im not sure.

It would be good if you could answer my questions and go through the points.
It does seem like alot but if you start going through this right now you will be done in probably less than an hour and the problem could be solved.

1. Did the system ever run smoothly?

2. Did you have this problem before 6.02 or only after you installed the the 6.02 patch?

2.Does trashing the prefs help?
removing-the-preferences-of-the-sequencer

1. You are running Cubase 6 32bit on Windows 7 64bit right?

2. Do the occureneces varry if you change “Devices–> Device Setup–> Multi Processing”?

3. Do the occureneces varry if you change “Devices–> Device Setup–> Activate–> Activate Steinberg Audio Power Scheme”?

4. Are you using the latest updates for your NI Plugs and UAD Soft and Hardware?

5. Are you sure that you went through all the points in
    optimizing-windows-for-daws” or are there some that you are no sure about and if so which ones are you not sure about? It would be could if you could go through that list again and realy confirm what you have done.

6. Could you create your projects on another position of your hard disc? Please also try to use another partition or even another disc. External hard discs should in some cases not be used as working medium, particularly if USB 1.0 is used.

7. Could you temporaraly deactivate all device drivers that you do not absolutely need to run the system? This would involve for instance, Display Card, UAD, network card, bluetooth, wlan, etc.

Gr,
JHP