New to Dorico, beginner's luck

If I could attach the file to one of these posts I would. That might get some clear feedback about the instrument issue. FOr one thing I can’t SEE the HAlion consoles while in write mode. Sometimes while in write mode, I don’t know what I do or how it happens, but the score will PLAY and I will have to go into play mode, seek out the transport, turn it off and rewind it. I converted the instruments to VST instruments to get rid of the synthy noises, but the tympani part still sounds like a synthy horn. Maybe I need to readjust individual instrument settings? As well, when I added the 421 measures as suggested, I don’t know if it was inadvertent or not but the program added long “breves” into everything that followed where I am working – and I cannot get rid of them! Hitting delete does not work for these and hasn’t really worked (though backspace often does) in many situations. I am back to feeling I should scrap this file and move on to a new and empty file setup & try again, possibly cutting and pasting portions that I already have.