Cubase for Linux

Many applications are, but many corporations still haven’t switched over. There are plenty of reasons for why some corporations would want to retain data within their own networks.

I don’t think it is in the sense you’re using the phrase. Yes, sooner or later it’ll go away probably, but the same can be said for a bunch of other technologies as well. Because the “niche” software developers that develop for PCs (and Macs) won’t spend the money to develop for Linux. The field is tough to stay competitive and profitable in. Again, you tell me which developer will take the lead to develop for a fraction of a fraction of the market…

And it extends beyond the developers of the “hosts” - Steinberg and Cubendo, Avid and Pro Tools etc - it also includes all the third party developers who produces all the plugins we use. Who’s going to get Michael Carnes, a one man operation of spectacular plugins, to spend valuable development time to not only develop for another OS but then also provide continuous support for it? Or Izotope? etc…

I disagree that gamers “led the way” over DAW users. That’s just not correct I think. DAW users and other content creators went to more cores long before gamers did, and we still generally benefit more from more cores. It could be argued that content creators also benefit from more memory as well as way faster and larger storage. A content creator and a gamer just have way different needs as far as the platform is concerned.