LFO & other modulation sources to drive automation

I am suggesting that you CAN automate VST automation lanes with the MIDI autolfo insert. You can automate the entire DAW with a MIDI track if you make some Generic Remote Device maps.

I’m NOT saying the feature requests are bad, or that they shouldn’t be implemented, but you CAN manipulate VST Controls via LFO TODAY. You don’t have to wait for a future version.

You CAN automate pretty much EVERYTHING in the DAW using MIDI tracks, a virtual MIDI port, and a Generic Remote Device map. Simply explore the ‘Generic Remote Device’ portion of CuBase. Generic maps are not difficult to make and change at will.

I just mention Bidule because it goes well with all your tracking or scoring DAW hosts (including FL) and it often fills a lot of ‘missing feature’ gaps. It’s great for designing low level logic for both MIDI and Audio streams in ways that very few tracking or scoring DAWs allow period (or if they do allow, requires in-depth experience with scripting languages and OSC protocols). It makes it easy to bring multiple plugin types into host that don’t support them (AU, VST3, etc.). You can also elect to work in discrete processing mode. You can chain stuff when you’re all out of slots. You can design your own ‘instruments and effects’ from the ground up, mixing, meshing, and automating plugins anyway you desire, and then go about using them in ANY tracking or scoring DAW you like. I.E. You could design a sound that uses Kontakt at low key velocity, fades in HALion at mid velocity, and changes to ARIA with an inverted keyboard and a custom designed comb filtering audio processor, and 17 sweeping notch filters at high velocity; while also fading a Retrologue and PadShop effect in and out using the Mod Wheel. You can insert arp engines and such into plugins (or sets of them) that don’t have an ARP engine. You can also do ‘sample by sample’ manipulation of the audio stream itself. Really, if you can imagine it, there’s probably a way to build it.

Throw in the free Reastream (Or Audio, or SPDIF patch chords) and a RTP-MIDI driver, and you could even keep your instruments on separate computer form the DAW if you’re ever in need of that capability. Because people throw machines capable of hosing a few plugins on the trash heap every day…I’ve found it useful to be able to offload some tasks to a remote machine when my main DAW machine runs out of headroom.

If you are serious about ‘sound design’, Bidule is something in a class of its own. “Sound Design” is specifically what it was built for.