Homebase for Sonar users

Depending on how you’re planning to use the click, the easiest way to adjust its volume is by just clicking the side of the Activate Metronome button (to the bottom right). You can adjust the Audio Click level on the second tab.

For studio use, the Control Room feature gives you advanced control over the metronome sounds sent to each set of headphones/monitors. I don’t have much experience with it so I can’t help you much.

PROJECT INFO SETTINGS:
I embed a lot of information in my Standard MIDI Files such as Title, Date of composition, Copyright info, original artist info, etc… I am wondering exactly how to accomplish this in Cubase. I see something like a SysEx Editor that exposes some of these but wondered if there was an easier way to do this.

GM SMF LYRIC HANDLING:
My SMF Library files have a melody and lyrics always on TRACK 4 (per the GM standard). I have been having a very hard time trying to understand how to work with lyrics and melody track in Cubase using the SCORE EDITOR. SONAR had a dedicated LYRICS window that was linked to a selected track. When I copy and paste the lyrics into the SCORE EDITOR I get very mixed results. Sometimes only partial lyrics are placed and some are in the wrong positions.

You can use the list editor for this: http://a.pomf.cat/snztjk.png

You can also insert text directly into notes using the piano roll’s info line. I don’t know if these show up in Karaoke machines, but they do show up in some MIDI players. http://a.pomf.cat/uihrep.png

Note that these SMF features are considered archaic and are rarely used, so most modern DAWs didn’t waste time trying to make this stuff easy to access/use. Actually Cubase’s implementation of this stuff might be the easiest to use outside of Sonar.

GENERAL NAVIGATION AND CUSTOMIZATION:
I am getting more comfortable with this and have sort of tried working on a color scheme that matches my SONR layout to feel somewhat familiar. SONAR gave us a lot of detailed options for color customizations. This is limited somewhat in Cubase by only allowing a base HUE setting in the 9.5 COLOR SCHEMES settings that lock you into a certain range of colors.

Color customization has recently been altered and the current method is still a work in progress. The current limitations are there to help you pick an usable color, where all interface elements are easily visible. Customization should become deeper and more flexible in future versions.