An open plea to Steinberg

Guy,

Let’s get out our laser pointers. After reading the threads and looking at some of the examples, it seems there’s various issue with multi-channel audio output instruments in the Track Archives system.

In this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s1QSh7k7mA, Chris Selim - Mixdown Online, demonstrates a very basic use of Track Archives to provide a way to insert a set of VST Instruments into an existing project, however, each of the tracks is, it seems, a single stereo output Instrument Track. All seems to work fine in the video. That may be the only really “safe” way to use Track Archives at this point.

What I’m seeing (and learning about from these posts) is there are a number of problems one may encounter with multi-out instruments.

I’d posted about this myself some time ago.

In my post, I quote from the version of the OM I was using at the time, it seems the language in the current, on-line OM is slightly different.

At the time of my post OM said:

Exporting and importing track archives (Cubase Pro only)
You can export Cubasetracks (audio, FX, group, instrument, MIDI, and video) as track
archives for import into other Cubase(or Nuendo)projects. All the information associated
with the tracks will be exported (channel settings, automation tracks, parts and events,
etc.).

Now it says:

You can export Cubase tracks (audio, FX, group, instrument, MIDI, and video) as track archives for import into other Cubase (or Nuendo) projects. All the information associated with the tracks will be exported (channel settings, automation tracks, parts and events, etc.). If you select the “Copy” option (see below), a separate “media” folder will be created, containing copies of all referenced audio files.

This is a difficult issue because the erroneous results we’re getting are variable. After my post above got little attention, I kind of just let go of using Track Archives and concentrated on building Instrument Presets and Templates. I never posed this in an actual “bug report.” Perhaps I should have.

I’d like Track Archives to really work the way the Operations Manual says (or said) they do, but apparently they do not. The OM’s language about Track Archives seems to have changed a bit. In my quoted section it says “group tracks” are part of the Archive. Now, It seems the “etc.” does not include Group Tracks, nor is Routing considered part of “channel settings.”

I wonder if would be possible to create several Archives and then import them one after another to “rebuild” a multi-out instrument structure? Not sure – hunting for a workaround idea? I’d have to experiment with this idea.

Thanks for keeping this all civil and not turning it into a Cubase flame tread. I understand the frustration you have been through with this and hope it didn’t interrupt your actual work or life too much. You’ve identified some real issues that are complex and, it seems unpredictable, but will, I think, have impact on more advanced user’s work. A clear statement about what is working and what is not should be put out along with advice about how to avoid any traps or problems. I think you’ve covered a lot of that. I’d post a bug report in Issues and take it from there.

What the problem actually is is beyond me. I’d call it “the group track bug” or the “track archives bug” but this is programming and I’m not a programmer. I’m just trying to talk about what we’re seeing and asking “can you fix that?”