Cubase 9.5.40 update available

9.5.40 starts going through this phase where it crashes every time I hit Record. It’s been doing it for the last 2 days off and on since I installed it. I would reboot the computer and it’ll last a couple hours and start crashing on-record again. I can’t figure out what exactly is causing it. I’ve tried different keys, record from midi-transport buttons, record while stopped, record while playing… no correlation.

The only thing I can say is it’s the same type of crash it does when you’re recording (in re-record mode) and resizing an audio take (while holding down the left mouse button) and hit the record button (on a transport button) which prompts a re-record. That always seems to make my sessions crash in a similar way.

You might be wondering why I’m resizing audio and re-recording audio at the same time. It’s because I have a CMC-TP (transport buttons) in the vocal booth so my clients can hit the record button and redo takes until they get one they want to keep. If I’m resizing one of their takes and the client decides to re-record their take, Cubase crashes. I didn’t submit this glitch because it doesn’t do it with new empty sessions with 1 audio track. It might have something to do with bigger sessions or using lots of VST plug-ins.

Solution:
Went to classic Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features\Installed Updates\Cubase 9.5.40 Update (on Win10) and uninstalled. I’m back running 9.5.3 just fine.