Cubase/Dorico Integration?

I agree with everything Mackieguy says here.

I compose better in Sibelius, because I am used to working with pencil and paper, and the ability to copy and paste and transpose and other composing techniques are easier for me to see things in a notation program. Noteperformer is good enough (great really) to get an idea of what you are doing in Sibelius. However, no audio, terrible handling of VST’s, nothing at all for continuous controllers, useless for keyswitches, etc, makes Sibelius a dinosaur for anything beyond Noteperformer, in my opinion.

So all I need is what Mackieguy says: simple sync between Dorico and Cubase so I can work with both, go back and forth, to do whatever is best suited to the work, but when I hit play they run in sync. I don’t care which is the master or slave, as long as they can preferably both use the same sound device, but if not I have more than one anyway. At the moment I do this with Sibelius and Cubase via rewire. But I have been watching for two years to see when the time comes to make the inevitable switch from Sibelius to Dorico. Everyone will do this one day, because Dorico is getting better and better.

I tried out Dorico in its first version some time ago and decided that I would switch to Dorico as soon as it fulfilled the following conditions:

1. Better than Sibelius at handling VST’s, loading and assigning sounds and better control over CC’s, Keyswitches, etc.
  2. Enough features and functionality as a professional notation program.
  3. Integration with Noteperformer.
  4. Ability to seamlessly sync to Cubase.

For me, all 4 conditions were deal-breakers. I just tried a 30-day trial of Dorico 3, and am excited to find the first three conditions are now fulfilled (and Dorico 3 does all of them really well.) But the fourth condition is still lacking, so I cannot make the switch. (Maybe the “3” of Dorico 3 means three out of four conditions now fulfilled. When they get to four I’m jumping the Sibelius ship.)

Dorico is now such a great program, but how can they expect someone like me (who uses Sibelius in Rewire in sync with Cubase) to come over to Dorico and go backwards in this crucial function?

1 Like