Was Nuendo Ten Premature?

The CPU deals with mathematics the way the CPU deals with mathematics. The way the CPU deals with mathematics is common for all DAWs. Therefore in order for what you say is happening Steinberg would have to be able to change “how a CPU deals with mathematics”. I doubt that’s happening.

Saying that noone has done that probably just means that you haven’t seen it. We had this debate like a decade or two ago and Lynn Fuston created a large test of DAW summing, i.e. testing the audio engine. It included a bunch of different DAWs and what people said they hear wasn’t what they heard.

Go get the test files (“Awesome Dawsum”) and check them out yourself if you want. Or recreate the test, it’s not that hard.

What does that have to do with the “audio engine”? I have no idea who this person was or why we should all of a sudden care about that. This isn’t what we were talking about.

What does “sync” “the raw output” “to pulse-waves” mean in practical terms?

I don’t think you understand the details of Verifile. Just reading the manual it clearly states several key issues:

1. "the computer’s operating system is not designed that way, and (even if optimally configured, which they seldom are) it will, now and again, interrupt audio recording to do something which seems more important at the time. This is especially true when dealing with many channels of high resolution audio, perhaps with low latency, which needs a continuous high data throughput. The result is usually a recorded ‘dropout’ of some kind: anyone who has recorded audio on a computer is familiar with the manifestations: these include repeated or missed samples or entire sections, random clicks, pops - even channel swapping. "

Exactly what I was saying. Hearing a slight shift in timbre is not what the effect would be from the above errors. Clicks and pops yes. “Warmer”, no.

1. “Verifile is a ‘fragile steganographic’ process which embeds derivative data within the dither of the ADC,”

and therefore

1. “, Verifile is not designed to survive any audio processing or encoding process”

What this means is that you can’t use Verifile to judge whether or not a DAW is sonically transparent, because as soon as you process audio or apply dither it won’t give you answers that show you anything of value in this context.

First of all, who says I or other people with my opinion aren’t listening to what we do?

Secondly, “confirmation bias” is actually a thing. So judging from all the testing I’ve done as an engineer, and from all the papers I’ve read, and from all my actual mixing I’ve done, what is most probable is that you’re either hearing differences that aren’t there or are attributing actual differences to things that aren’t their cause.